NOISY RAM!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My new 667 PBG4 (48GB, 1024MB RAM)is here - but noisy - not least from the accessing of the RAM (I think)

Surely it is not from the HD (it is meant to be fluid bearing 'tastic)

My old PBG4 500 seemed quieter with only 512 RAM but it was cheap 3rd party and this is Apple's own RAM this time...

What gives?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Heh, unles you've got some weird new kind of RAM I'm not familiar with, it shouldn't be waking any sonud at all. They're chips; there are no moving parts (except for those electrons ).

Are you sure you couldn't be hearing a fan or disk drive spinning? Drives usually make a little sound when spinning, even if they're not being accessed.

[quote]Originally posted by Quomp:

<strong>My new 667 PBG4 (48GB, 1024MB RAM)is here - but noisy - not least from the accessing of the RAM (I think)

Surely it is not from the HD (it is meant to be fluid bearing 'tastic)

My old PBG4 500 seemed quieter with only 512 RAM but it was cheap 3rd party and this is Apple's own RAM this time...

What gives? </strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 2 of 14
    It isn't your RAM; its the fans and the drives (HD/optical).
  • Reply 3 of 14
    well, technically, electrons are ALWAYS moving, disappearing, reappearing, etc...

but... yah =P

it isn't your ram.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Is it a kind of wierd keening sound, almost like a squeak? If it is, i've had similar experiences. I think it's to do with the monitor, i've noticed in the past that often you can hear graphics change on the screen, sounds odd I know but it happens.

I've noticed it more recently using OSX, and sometimes it shows up while the machine is processing something which is bizarre and might lead you to the conclusion that it's a RAM thing, but I definately think it's something to do with the high voltages in a CRT monitor, I doubt that it would occur with an LCD.

Just a theory, i'm no electrician.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    clicking... like when the system is idle, every few seconds you get a 'normal' clicking of HD access (I think it might be the RAM)

The excessive clicking/rattling is directly linked to CPU tasks. I don't know, is this all due to revised 667 processor and new 133 bus. I am confused.

It is not fans - that sounds different..
  • Reply 6 of 14
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    It must be your hard drive, fan or display. RAM doesn't make noise?period.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Most likely your hard drive. Although, if you are like me, you might hear the monitor too. It's really weird.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    my G4 450 has the same sound, its the hard drive.

Test it, open the case and take a listen while doing something that uses lots of vram (like classic) of save a big file.

Just be careful and don't break anything!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    The hard drive is the only thing that can make a clicking sound, and it does it quite often when it's not doing anything. Just updating the system I guess.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I'm making a trk to the tyson corner Apple store to see if the genius can't help me.

It will be nice to go!

The 48 GB should be quieter than the 30 GB not louder!?

With mine it is clicking audibly louder and I don't like it...
  • Reply 11 of 14
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Does this happen when your laptop is plugged in?

It could be related to the Power plug on the back being a little loose.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Doesn't the 48Gb run significantly faster than the other drives in the Ti book? Faster I guess would mean a little more noise.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Proxy:

<strong>Doesn't the 48Gb run significantly faster than the other drives in the Ti book? Faster I guess would mean a little more noise.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You are exactly right according to the great guys at the apple store at tice's corner, NJ.

Phil, the genius, called me a cab to get me to the store when I was dumped in the middle of no where off the bus (good start)

He then said that this was indeed a 'different' sounding drive because it WAS a different drive spinning a lot faster - the price you pay is a little sound pollution.

With any noise (other than at midnight when it is deathly quiet normally) this issue is really a non issue. Today's trip has made me realise I was being just too fussy.

By the way, it is the best free wireless internet cafe I have ever been to (except you get served evian instead of coffee) I stayed HOURS and downloaded everything I wanted at light speed for free!

Recommended to all...
  • Reply 14 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Proxy:

<strong>Doesn't the 48Gb run significantly faster than the other drives in the Ti book? Faster I guess would mean a little more noise.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You are exactly right according to the great guys at the apple store at tice's corner, NJ.

Phil, the genius, called me a cab to get me to the store when I was dumped in the middle of no where off the bus (good start)

He then said that this was indeed a 'different' sounding drive because it WAS a different drive spinning a lot faster - the price you pay is a little sound pollution.

With any noise (other than at midnight when it is deathly quiet normally) this issue is really a non issue. Today's trip has made me realise I was being just too fussy.

By the way, it is the best free wireless internet cafe I have ever been to (except you get served evian instead of coffee) I stayed HOURS and downloaded everything I wanted at light speed for free!

Recommended to all...