Apple reportedly paid $21M to use Swiss Railway clock design

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 97
    Apple infringing on others patents is not something new.
  • Reply 82 of 97
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

I remember when this story originally came up and the owners of the patent said it wasn't to do with money, just respect for the design.

Looks like $21M paid for that respect. Good job it wasn't about the money huh!  

• Reply 83 of 97

Yeah, I see your post now. It wasn't there when I started mine. Obviously the designs are far more similar. Could the other AI one be the original 1944 design? this one looks more refined.

Clearly Apple's is not "exactly the same" as you say, but it is a very close copy. I'd have to admit that Apple's design isn't hands down supieror to  this one, but they have made some different design choices which might be seen as improvements (or not.)

Anyway, they have paid for it (and rather dearly!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

Read my post above: the design is exactly the same between the existing clocks and Apple's one, only AI cherry-picked illustrations are misleadingly feigning otherwise.

• Reply 84 of 97
    Yes, it is an attractive clock, but it was an obvious copy. I am glad that this chapter is over, and since we don't really know how much $ was paid, we should sit tight for now. What is most important, is that Apple management creates a better procedure for futrure vetting of the "creative." This is reminiscent of the Samsung manager claiming to have created its icons from scratch in this summer's trial.
  • Reply 85 of 97
    wow people are arguing that this is worth the money, but paying more than $1 per device for a patent that without it renders the phone useless is absurd?
  • Reply 86 of 97

I'm assuming that Apple's design boffins figured - incorrectly, as it turns out - that the design was public domain.  Whoopsie!

That having been said, $21 million is probably cheap compared to the litigation costs if this thing had gone to trial.  Apple would almost certainly lose, and be held liable for damages as well as being penalized.  

In the end, $21 million is probably a good deal.

Also, we don't know what else might be a part of this deal.  Maybe the Swiss Railway has agreed to partner with Apple on some other product - Passbook or something - which caused Apple to sweeten the deal.

Apple may have also bought exclusive digital rights to the design, so NOBODY else can have it. That's also worth some bucks.

• Reply 87 of 97
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    ireland wrote: »
    This clock design actually feels like an Ive decision. You don't know it was Forstall's.

That is true, Forstall would probably end up with something more... detailed? Maybe something like..:

But still. Beside seconds hand, rest of clock doesn't really look like. General concept is the same - minimalistic - but hands are of different shape, as well as hours/minutes marks on background. Not much different, but still... I don't really get it. Personally, I'd rather release small update with different seconds hand (especially that I don't really like THAT seconds hand) than pay 21M.
  • Reply 88 of 97

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

wow people are arguing that this is worth the money, but paying more than $1 per device for a patent that without it renders the phone useless is absurd?

If no one else is paying more than $1, Apple doesn't have to. That's sort of the idea.

• Reply 89 of 97
    Personally I like the Dutch railway clock better, but I'm biased as I'm Dutch. I also think it is more precise, though I like the tapered hands on the SBB version.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/16125/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?
    http://www.sbb.ch/sbb-konzern/medien/medienmitteilungen.newsdetail.2012-10-1210_1.html
  • Reply 90 of 97
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member

This is what Steve would have done. If he liked the design he'd pay for it.

I like the new clock, but then I bought a watch like this a year ago so I would like it. Guess it shows I must be cool if Apple decided to do the same thing as me image

• Reply 91 of 97
    it's all about quality image, which I can see most of you don't understand
  • Reply 92 of 97

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Personally I like the Dutch railway clock better, but I'm biased as I'm Dutch. I also think it is more precise, though I like the tapered hands on the SBB version.

They a branch of SBB? Hope no one claims that clock isn't a take off of SBB's or that SBB "has no ability" to sue them.

• Reply 93 of 97
    Hahaha! Well, SBB never sued the Dutch Railways for using this design. Then again, the Dutch Railways don't have money. Not any. Apple has, and might have been the incentive for SBB to sue - who knows? That's the nice thing about this site; it's all about rumors, I don't know sh¡te!
  • Reply 94 of 97
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I like the Dutch version too, but it's not as determinedly minimalist as the Swiss version. In fact, it seems a bit more friendly, but busier. It's amazing how just a few slight changes—the pointed hands, the punctured second hand "signal" —make such a difference in the feel of the design.

I wonder when the Dutch one appeared, and if the Swiss railway objected?
  • Reply 95 of 97

Seems like a highly unlikely number, unless the only alternative was a very expensive lawsuit. The only thing that really makes the designs significantly similar is the red circle on the second hand. Everything else is pretty standard clock stuff, and not identical.

• Reply 96 of 97

I wonder if it wasn't just a big mistake: someone went on Wikipedia looked at the year it was designed (1944) and miscalculated 70 years of intellectual rights later...

I have been outsourcing for design for Apple several time and I can tell that they are tough as any other company when it come to the budget, so I don't think they are OK to just spend an extra $20 millions. Will this hurt them? No! But the PR was worst than paying. In the end, I am glad to see the swiss railway clock, I've always been a fan of!

• Reply 97 of 97
    nkalu wrote: »
    I'm ashamed!
    This is irresponsible spending.

I agreed with you