Apple supplies second beta of iOS 6.1, new Xcode 4.6 preview to developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new build of iOS 6.1 was provided to developers on Monday, less than two weeks after the first beta was issued, along with a new preview of Xcode 4.6, and new beta software for the Apple TV.

iOS 6

People familiar with the second beta of iOS 6.1 indicated it is known as build 10B510c. It's compatible with the fourth-, third- and second-generation iPad, iPad mini, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 3GS, and fifth- and fourth-generation iPod touch.

The second beta of iOS 6.1 arrived Monday alongside a new Xcode 4.6 Developer Preview 2, said to be known as build 4H95e, as well as a new beta software release for the Apple TV set-top box.

As with the previous beta of iOS 6.1, the latest build enhances the Map Kit framework in iOS, allowing developers to search for map-based addresses and points of interest.

In one example provided to developers, users could search the string "coffee," and it would return the location of local coffee bars along with information about each one.

Relevance behavior rules have also changed with Passbook iOS 6.1 for boarding passes with both a date and location. Developers are encouraged to provide both piece of information, when appropriate, to make boarding passes relevant for a longer window of time.

Because it is beta software, a number of known issues remain with iOS 6.1. For example, Apple has notified developers that when browsing for TV shows in iTunes Store, options to view content by networks, genres and Genius recommendations are not available.

People who tested the first beta of iOS 6.1 indicated to AppleInsider that the software was relatively stable, aside from some crashing issues that were present when using the camera's panorama mode.

The last update to iOS arrived in the form of software version 6.0.1 earlier this month. It addressed a number of minor bugs with the software, including screen distortion, issues with the camera flash, and problems with Exchange.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Everytime an Apple TV update comes along- I hope THIS will be the one that finally brings us pandora (or any music streamer), HBO Go, Showtime, or Amazon Instant video. Any of those would be great.

Please.......
  • Reply 2 of 17
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

• Reply 3 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

This better fix (insert favorite alleged widespread deal killing but ignored by Apple on purpose issue) or else I will never buy an Apple product again!

There, I got that whine out of the way!

And no, you cannot downgrade to iOS 5 to get Google Maps back. And no, the WiFi issue will still be there because you own a cheap-assed wireless router whose obsolete firmware hasn't been updated in years. 

• Reply 4 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

This better fix (insert favorite alleged widespread deal killing but ignored by Apple on purpose issue) or else I will never buy an Apple product again!

Wait a second... You're treading on Tallest Skil's territory! He does the 'preemptive strikes' around here.

• Reply 5 of 17
    You can download individual songs on iTunes Match and delete individual songs as well. Finally.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Everytime an Apple TV update comes along- I hope THIS will be the one that finally brings us pandora (or any music streamer), HBO Go, Showtime, or Amazon Instant video. Any of those would be great.

Please.......

Any music streamer? There are a couple thousand Internet radio stations available on Apple TV. For example my favorite station Radio Paradise.

• Reply 7 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by taranu View Post

You can download individual songs on iTunes Match and delete individual songs as well. Finally.

Great! That was an odd backwards step in 6.0

• Reply 8 of 17
    They forgot IPhone 4 and maybe it will have major upgrades.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    mstone wrote: »
    Any music streamer? There are a couple thousand Internet radio stations available on Apple TV. For example my favorite station Radio Paradise.

Lol... While I don't discount there is a station you love- at least for me... Those stations aren't nearly as enjoyable as other apps I have- pandora/slacker/last fm etc.
  • Reply 10 of 17

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Just install the TuneIn Radio app. Problem solved.

• Reply 11 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Please.......

Errr. You DO understand the concept of Apps, right? And that Apple doesn't supply those, but the developers do? And if you think, Apple will integrate any of those services _ever_, you will be waiting a very, very long time...

• Reply 12 of 17

This article doesn't give the complete list - the iPhone 4 (GSM and CDMA versions) are supported, as is the 3GS

• Reply 13 of 17
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member

Quote:

Originally Posted by torbenv View Post

Errr. You DO understand the concept of Apps, right? And that Apple doesn't supply those, but the developers do? And if you think, Apple will integrate any of those services _ever_, you will be waiting a very, very long time...

It's not possible to get an app on AppleTV without involving Apple.

• Reply 14 of 17
    iOS 6 (and not corrected in 6.01 despite multiple bug submissions) removed the description displayed when accessing a shared movie with homesharing (here is a picture showing the issue with iPad2: http://130.15.90.64/ios6.1.pdf). Same issue with iPhones (3GS and 4) and iPod Touch.
    Does the 6.1 update fix this issue?
  • Reply 15 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by torbenv View Post

Errr.  You DO understand there aren't Apps on Apple TV, right?  And that Apple is the only one who can supply that access, not developers?

Sorry for the sarcasm- but I think you missed my point ;)  They allow HBO Go, Showtime,-*just recently* Amazon Instant, and Streamers on App Store.  They also have lowered the walls a hair for Hulu Plus on ATV... so they are right there on the brink.

• Reply 16 of 17
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

I finally got rid of owning Blackberry phones.  My current employer bought me an iPhone 5.  It is nice to move up in the world.  The iOS software is nice.  I'm a bit surprised at the smallness of the iPhone.  I can't image it being any smaller.  I do find myself desiring a larger screen such as those on Android phones.  I'll make do with the iPhone 5 though.  

I'm interested in where Apple will go with Siri. It seems there's a lot of areas Siri falls short on.  When I ask Siri what the distance is from one city to another it uses my current location and ignores the question.  I get a path from my current location to the destination.  I simply wanted the distance from Sedona Arizona to the Grand Canyon.  Not from Tacoma to the Grand Canyon.

I'd like to see the iPhone 5 activate by voice command completely hands free and Siri be at the ready.  The main things are reading and sending texts while driving that would require complete hands free operations.  Answering calls that way automatically putting them on speaker would be great too.

Siri could use more tricks.  I'd like it to make me laugh by having a library of jokes to tell me, or picking a poem to read me depending on the mood I tell it I'm in, even knowing my interests and making suggestions when I say I'm bored (i.e. knowing what events are going on around the area).  Siri should also know what games interest me by the Genius program built into the App store so when I say I'm bored it could suggest a new game that hot.

Anyway, Siri's ability to read and understand spoken words in general needs more improvement.  It is great but can certainly be improved upon.

• Reply 17 of 17
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    lkrupp wrote: »

And no, you cannot downgrade to iOS 5 to get Google Maps back. And no, the WiFi issue will still be there because you own a cheap-assed wireless router whose obsolete firmware hasn't been updated in years. 

Does the router in the Apple Time Capsule that I bought in July last year (2011) class as a "cheap-assed wireless router"? This isn't a trick question - I've been holding off on installing iOS6 on my iPhone 4 until 6.1 with the hope that the cellular data drain problem might have improved. If, however, it's mostly the router as a general cause, and the one that I have isn't up to snuff, then I may as well stay with 5.1.1.