Samsung reportedly hits Apple with 20% price increase for iPhone, iPad chips

Comments

• Reply 81 of 109
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

From what I recently read, all of 200+K Samsung employees will receive cash bonus as Samsung expects $25B profit this year. 

http://www.inquisitr.com/354318/samsung-reports-7-3-billion-quarterly-profit/

http://nwww.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20100126000040

Not sure if there is such cash incentive at Apple. 

Yup, there is. That was part of the reason behind the massive share buyback that Cook announced last year.

http://www.asymco.com/2012/03/20/tim-cooks-latest-promise-to-apples-employees/

That's cash AND stock.

• Reply 82 of 109

reportedly 20% price increase...

Yes “reportedly” with no authoritative source. It appears to be FUD. It may be to drive the share price down to benefit the short seller of Apple stock. Apple has long employed FUD for its own purposes. So I don't see why so much debate is needed for the obvious.

• Reply 83 of 109

According to Isuppy, Apple pays $17 for this processor. A 20% increase would raise the price $3.50

per phone..hardly worth writing an article about.

• Reply 84 of 109
    I think this os pure bogus
  • Reply 85 of 109
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 86 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

The saw it coming -- that's why they are going to use another company in the interim and eventually make their own CPU.

This was STARTED by the manufacturer cloning Apples device and then making a product just like it.

I think other companies are going to steer clear of Samsung, unless they are confident they can compete with their own device being made by one of the largest electronics manufacturers in the world.

• Reply 87 of 109
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

You think you understand "how business works…"?

Here's what I would do first: I would try like hell to win back their business. Not gouge them out of spite…… 

What a bunch of complete nonsense. Did you even consider that Apple is known for locking in long term contracts? This could be an issue of contingency. How do you even know it's gouging? Is it higher than they charge others for similar work? It amazes me to see some of you read so far into things you can't possibly know. You read a few lines of an article. You don't sit on their board. If you did, you wouldn't post on here that it was a move out of spite.

• Reply 88 of 109
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    This doesn't make sense for Samsung from a business perspective.  They need Apple's money.  Apple's already mad at them over the patent infringement and counter lawsuits.  Driving up the prices for them alone will just make Apple more likely to find/create competing chip-makers to take over production for them at the earliest possible moment.  

In what way could Samsung benefit from this decision in the long term?

There is no long term, it is obvious that Apple is trying to drop Samsung as supplier regardless of pricing.

But some prices are based on volumes, and it is my understanding that Apple has already reduced their orders from Samsung. Lower orders, higher price per unit.

Of course, it is also possible that Samsung is playing hard simply because they might end up paying Apple $1B and are not too happy with that.
  • Reply 89 of 109
    So is TSMC ready for the major leagues yet?
  • Reply 90 of 109

Time for the judge to triple the award amount.

• Reply 91 of 109

deleted

• Reply 92 of 109
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I guess that's one way to try and make back 1 billion dollars.
  • Reply 93 of 109
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Maybe they could use Intel. They already buy lots of chips off them anyway, and Intel has the 22nm technology which I don't think anyone else has.

Yeah, no way those rumours I saw of Samsung being able to make stuff at 20nm could be true - no way!

Quote:

Samsung Foundry tapes out 20-nm ARM chip

Peter Clarke

7/12/2011 8:46 AM EDT

LONDON – Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. has said that is foundry chip making business has taped out an ARM processor test-chip intended for manufacture in a 20-nm process with high-K metal-gate technology.

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4217768/Samsung-Foundry-ARM-test-chip

• Reply 94 of 109

deleted

• Reply 95 of 109
    jonyojonyo Posts: 117member
    Here it comes, My guess is that Apple is going to sever all ties with Samsung as a supplier and chip fab contractor ASAP. I don't know how long it'll take, 9 months or 3 years or what, but Samsung is 2nd to only Google at this point in terms of being Apple's least favorite business partner. Unless something drastic changes in the next year or so, I don't see it going any other way than complete splitsville.
  • Reply 96 of 109
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

I am all for Apple dropping Samsung, but I hope Apple is making secret plans with someone and ramping up production instead of getting terms dictate by Samsung.  

Would be nice to get some kind of good news now because the sentiment is pretty horrible regarding Apple stock.  Maybe Tim Took should return to managing the supply chain and find another CEO. 

• Reply 97 of 109
    I will not be buying any Samsung branded products, ever.
  • Reply 98 of 109
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Don't know why this is being seen as a dirty move.  Samsung has something Apple wants, and are using their position as the only only supplier able to deliver quantity to leverage a better return.  Apple do the same thing in negotiating lower prices as the biggest purchaser; this is exactly the same, but with the power reversed.  But when Samsung act in their self-interest it's "dirty".  And anyone who doesn't agree is an Apple-hater, I'm sure.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

If this story is true, I am sure Samsung thought before doing. As for Apple, I am certain they have a plan B, and with their profit margins they can afford to spend a couple of months implementing it.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 99 of 109
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ub52209 View Post

According to Isuppy, Apple pays $17 for this processor. A 20% increase would raise the price $3.50

per phone..hardly worth writing an article about.

What about the rest of the chipset?

• Reply 100 of 109

Love this idea.  I would be willing to pay more for a "Made in America" Apple device.