Microsoft Surface screen falls short of Retina iPad, but outperforms iPad 2

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    the If they give an "A" to the iPad 4, then I really think an "A-" for the Surface is generous. I got a chance to play around with both for the first time the other day (there's a Microsoft store and an Apple store at my local mall).

I think the Surface is a pretty interesting device. Its pretty compelling as a super-ultra portable laptop, but definitely seemed uncomfortable as a tablet. I don't see myself purchasing one, but I enjoyed playing around with it for the time I had it.

I thought the screen looked nice on the Surface, but I could clearly see pixels on text. I really felt that the iPad 4 screen was an order of magnitude better than the Surface's.

With that said, the Surface's screen was obviously better than the iPad mini's.
  • Reply 22 of 32

Keep in mind everyone that Microsoft has yet to release the Surface pro which comes with a resolution of 1920x1080 for the same screen size which at 18 inches you won't be able to see individual pixels.

• Reply 23 of 32

Microsoft's Surface sales are now up into the "tens of dozens" per month...! 

• Reply 24 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noliving View Post

Keep in mind everyone that Microsoft has yet to release the Surface pro which comes with a resolution of 1920x1080 for the same screen size which at 18 inches you won't be able to see individual pixels.

... and if the Surface POS is the same price as the iPad 4, the Surface PRO will cost as much as an iMac, be much heavier, thicker, and need an extension cord to operate. It is unknown at this time whether you can rig it with wheels and use it to skateboard on.

• Reply 25 of 32
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

that is nice - now  "screen resolution" is a plus again... the stupidity of the people that make up the iOS part of the Apple community is mind bending

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

WTF?

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 26 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesTheLesser View Post

the If they give an "A" to the iPad 4, then I really think an "A-" for the Surface is generous. I got a chance to play around with both for the first time the other day (there's a Microsoft store and an Apple store at my local mall).

I think the Surface is a pretty interesting device. Its pretty compelling as a super-ultra portable laptop, but definitely seemed uncomfortable as a tablet. I don't see myself purchasing one, but I enjoyed playing around with it for the time I had it.

I thought the screen looked nice on the Surface, but I could clearly see pixels on text. I really felt that the iPad 4 screen was an order of magnitude better than the Surface's.

With that said, the Surface's screen was obviously better than the iPad mini's.

I haven't played with a surface, but one can get an actual Windows ultra book, which weighs the same as a surface, and has tons more functionality, so the market for the surface RT escapes me. Surface Pro also, since that will actually just BE an ultrabook.

• Reply 27 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

That's OK.  The ZunePad is only going to be used by business types who can't get any work done with Apple's frivolous iPad.  They don't need a high-quality display to do Microsoft Word and Excel.  Those IT guys shouldn't be watching any movies on their ZunePads.

Wrong. The business types do use Excel, for which they need a much larger screen than the Surface gives them. The Surface RT also does not support macros, which makes it useless for Excel.

• Reply 28 of 32
    Purchased the Surface RT over the weekend. Very nice tablet. The expandability is great. Using an Apple Bluetooth keyboard and mouse with it. Both work perfectly.

Don't understand all the negative comments.

Also, I own many gadgets so I do have experience with quite a few of them.
  • Reply 29 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noliving View Post

So... just ignore Surface RT, which was the topic of this story?

Quote:

Originally Posted by axual View Post

It out performs the iPad 2. Is this supposed to impress people?

Microsoft will take any victory.

• Reply 30 of 32
    Nexus 7 is great. iPad 4 is great too. I don't like iPad Mini, but I guess I'll get the Retina model once it comes out. Am I tech-addicted?
  • Reply 31 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Microsoft will take any victory.

No you don't need to ignore the Surface RT just pointing out that the Surface Pro essentially has a retina display at 18 inches view distance in other words the RT is not the flagship surface so it doesn't really make much sense to take the flagship ipad and compare it the Surface RT which is not the flagship.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

... and if the Surface POS is the same price as the iPad 4, the Surface PRO will cost as much as an iMac, be much heavier, thicker, and need an extension cord to operate. It is unknown at this time whether you can rig it with wheels and use it to skateboard on.

Ah the Surface RT is not a POS and yes it is the same price but there are different for one it has double the capacity.  Why don't you actually use one?

The Surface Pro will most likely be around the price of a MBA.  Ya the Surface pro needs an extension cord to operate it...........  What is your problem?

• Reply 32 of 32
    It is unknown at this time whether you can rig it with wheels and use it to skateboard on.

Brilliant!