converting a screen grab to .jpg?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How??? (in OSX 10.1.1)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    when you open the file in Preview, File>Save As... select jpeg from the drop down menu.

that *should* work- i'm not in X
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ferroferro Posts: 453member
    I have your answer....

Preview doesnt give you the option to save as a certain kind of image, only save as a new name...

---------------------------------------------------

(((( Oooops... I guess you can use preview to change the image kind... using export...)))))

ImageViewer is still better in my oppinion... you should give it a try... you wont regret it...

---------------------------------------------------

I switched to "ImageViewer" app rather than Preview along time ago... ImageViewer is alot like pictureViewer in 9 only its a X app and allows active streching, etc.

I think you can find it at Cnet's X downloads or apple's X apps.. download pages...

i would switch to ImageViewer If I was you... It has a Icon like preview only there is a peguin on it....

great program and it allows you to save as a certain kind of images... Just what your looking for...

I have switched ALL of my images to use ImageViewer as the app to open with using the "get info" on any single file you can change all files of that kind to open with any chosen app... if you didnt already know that...

good luck...

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: FERRO ]

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: FERRO ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I'm a GraphicConverter fan, myself. I got it years ago and Lemke just keeps updating it! You can save to all sorts of image formats, many that I had never even heard of. It's also a handy graphic editor as well.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    You can set the type of image created by typing the following in Terminal:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleScreenShotFormat [imageFormat]

where [imageFormat] can be JPEG, TIFF, PNG, or PICT (TIFF is the default). It's likely you'll have to logout/login to get the changes to take effect.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: Sinewave ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 5
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    I'll ditto starfleetX's recommendation of GraphicCoverter. It's a fantastic image editor that can save in dozens of file formats.

You can get it here: <a href="http://www.lemkesoft.de"; target="_blank">http://www.lemkesoft.de</A>;