Apple's iMessage causes decline in U.S. text messaging, report says

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 54
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I must be a freak, because I send less than 10 texts per month.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,143member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bettaboy123 View Post



    Less than 700 texts?! I send 7,000 on a low month! I hit 16,000 in June. I literally did more than 1,000 in a day a few times. How can you only do like 700 texts?!


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    You do realize that 1,000 txts a day is one txt every 86 [corrected] seconds for 24 hours straight?





    I am glad I'm not on his list.

  • Reply 23 of 54
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Cosimo View Post



    Little OT.

    It's incredible to see how much money you guys pay for cellular data in the US.

    Here in Barcelona (Catalonia - Europe) I pay 9€ per 1GB and all the calls for 0.01€ per minute

    So, basically I end up paying about 15/18€ a month counting data, calls and VAT, using my iPhone 5 constantly in 3G.

    Here some examples:

    http://www.pepephone.com/tarifas/?xsid=XSIDB27VZWIB1K36W8C96RPYJBF0NV5C

    http://tuenti.com/movil


    Amazing!


     


    Now, drive (or take a train, Euro) 500 miles north.  How much does it cost to text now?  Now train 500 miles west from there.  How much does it cost now?  And 500 miles back south?  Now how much?  500 miles back east and you're back home.  Something tells me that while I've been still paying that same (admittedly high) rate on my 2000 mile trip around the USA, you've been paying something quite higher on your road trip.


     


    See how these things work?  Nothing's free.


     


    I can't imagine the riot if my mobile company tried to tell me I had to stay in an area the size of tiny Spain or I'd have to pay roaming fees.

  • Reply 24 of 54
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,240member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bettaboy123 View Post



    Less than 700 texts?! I send 7,000 on a low month! I hit 16,000 in June. I literally did more than 1,000 in a day a few times. How can you only do like 700 texts?!


     


  • Reply 25 of 54
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,240member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post



    Will they integrate iMessage more seamlessly into the phone function? Why not have an onscreen button to compose texts, or simply speak your message and Siri takes over?

    Clean, efficient speech-to-text-to-speech is the way to go.


     


    You know you can do this right? I've had Siri read me an SMS then compose and send a reply using nothing but voice and the included headphones.


     


    I purposefully don't use iMessage. Data is the primary bottleneck.  No penalty to receive an SMS but every received iMessage would charge me data. I get unlimited free text and picture messages on my plan. SMS's get delivered even if this recipient doesn't have an active data connection and there is only one local carrier that doesn't struggle with bandwidth.

  • Reply 26 of 54
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    cameronj wrote: »
    Amazing!

    Now, drive (or take a train, Euro) 500 miles north.  How much does it cost to text now?  Now train 500 miles west from there.  How much does it cost now?  And 500 miles back south?  Now how much?  500 miles back east and you're back home.  

    Amazing, indeed: You can drive 500 miles north of Barcelona Spain. But if you try to drive (or take a train) 500 miles west of that point, you're going to get very wet.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    ksecksec Posts: 1,566member
    NO more text, No more Minutes. Its all about DATA. As a matter of fact they are earning much more on selling data package price plan then Phone min and SMS.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post





    Amazing, indeed: You can drive 500 miles north of Barcelona Spain. But if you try to drive (or take a train) 500 miles west of that point, you're going to get very wet.


    In my head I was saying east... even thinking Russia.  But the fingers didn't obey.


     


    Point remains.  Apples to oranges.

  • Reply 29 of 54

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Cosimo View Post



    Little OT.

    It's incredible to see how much money you guys pay for cellular data in the US.

    Here in Barcelona (Catalonia - Europe) I pay 9€ per 1GB and all the calls for 0.01€ per minute

    So, basically I end up paying about 15/18€ a month counting data, calls and VAT, using my iPhone 5 constantly in 3G.

    Here some examples:

    http://www.pepephone.com/tarifas/?xsid=XSIDB27VZWIB1K36W8C96RPYJBF0NV5C

    http://tuenti.com/movil


    Here in the USA, the cost of many, many things is exploitative. AT&T’s messaging plans are among the most ludicrously inflated forms of extortion.


     


    http://www.danisageek.com/MacMan/Blog/Entries/2009/1/4_RoadRunner_Light.html

  • Reply 30 of 54
    Less than 700 texts?! I send 7,000 on a low month! I hit 16,000 in June. I literally did more than 1,000 in a day a few times. How can you only do like 700 texts?!

    How do you do up to 16000 text in a month, 7000 is higher than most, 3000 is upper average, 2000 is believeable yet 1000 is just a few above average yet 700 average, 500 not yet average 300 is what needs to be average, 100 is just a busy month for someone who doesn't text and less than 30 is other people sending text.

    Yet these including all (messaging services) my average lifespan 0.00000000000001 my friends about 10 close friends 2, so this really excludes us yet its ahead.

    So y'all really don't have life's at 16000 (100s a day) however even at 3000 (100 a day is high) ,700 is probably since not counting iMessage or other services so Probably a little more than1000 so it's in the 30s a day which at least have life's. and 300a a month which makes sense is 10 a day which is the only needed. With that it want charge to phone bill that much both ways. I still will probably be in average in January. But what about actual calls.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    Now if they'd just do something about the godawful, bug-infested mess that is Messages for OS X.

    It makes the Apple iOS Maps app seem a thing of sublime beauty, accuracy, and competence by comparison.
  • Reply 32 of 54

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post





    How do you do up to 16000 text in a month, 7000 is higher than most, 3000 is upper average, 2000 is believeable yet 1000 is just a few above average yet 700 average, 500 not yet average 300 is what needs to be average, 100 is just a busy month for someone who doesn't text and less than 30 is other people sending text.

    Yet these including all (messaging services) my average lifespan 0.00000000000001 my friends about 10 close friends 2, so this really excludes us yet its ahead.

    So y'all really don't have life's at 16000 (100s a day) however even at 3000 (100 a day is high) ,700 is probably since not counting iMessage or other services so Probably a little more than1000 so it's in the 30s a day which at least have life's. and 300a a month which makes sense is 10 a day which is the only needed. With that it want charge to phone bill that much both ways. I still will probably be in average in January. But what about actual calls.


    Could he be a blogger with restricted access to the intewebz?

  • Reply 33 of 54
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 4,685member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bettaboy123 View Post



    Less than 700 texts?! I send 7,000 on a low month! I hit 16,000 in June. I literally did more than 1,000 in a day a few times. How can you only do like 700 texts?!




    This ability is something you shouldn't advertise.  Not only is its truthfulness highly questionable, even if you are able to accomplish half that amount you really have need of face-to-face social skills.

  • Reply 34 of 54
    lukeilukei Posts: 332member
    There is a big issue with imessage which needs resolving. Once Apple have established your contact has imessage your iphone will send an imessage if you are in a data zone. If they are not, say for example roaming and have data off then they don't get the message until back in a data zone. I discovered this when a friend was away (didn't know he was) and he didn't get my messages until he returned to the UK. Hard one to fix too!
  • Reply 35 of 54


    I like iMessage - at least it keeps trying to send a message if it can't get through ( I think ).


     


    Now, standard SMS on an iPhone has one major flaw in my opinion - unlike all other dumb phones ( and even my sh1tty Barcelona Android 2.2 work phone ) it does not keep trying to send the message if it fails first time due to lack of signal - the others all retry until it's sent.


    I live in an area of bad signal and sometimes even with 1 bar the standard SMS may not send from the iphone, but unless you leave the Message app open you don't know it didn't go! 


     


    I think this is pretty rubbish for a 'smart' phone.

  • Reply 36 of 54
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member


    Apparently the writers have chosen to implement the use of Star Wars dialect in their headlines, not that I blame them.

  • Reply 37 of 54
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    lukei wrote: »
    There is a big issue with imessage which needs resolving. Once Apple have established your contact has imessage your iphone will send an imessage if you are in a data zone. If they are not, say for example roaming and have data off then they don't get the message until back in a data zone. I discovered this when a friend was away (didn't know he was) and he didn't get my messages until he returned to the UK. Hard one to fix too!

    For me, Messages seems to fall back to SMS if there isn't a detected data route to the recipient.
  • Reply 38 of 54

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by argonaut View Post


    I like iMessage - at least it keeps trying to send a message if it can't get through ( I think ).


     


    Now, standard SMS on an iPhone has one major flaw in my opinion - unlike all other dumb phones ( and even my sh1tty Barcelona Android 2.2 work phone ) it does not keep trying to send the message if it fails first time due to lack of signal - the others all retry until it's sent.


    I live in an area of bad signal and sometimes even with 1 bar the standard SMS may not send from the iphone, but unless you leave the Message app open you don't know it didn't go! 


     


    I think this is pretty rubbish for a 'smart' phone.



    Really?  I get an exclamation mark on my messages app if my regular text doesn't go through...

  • Reply 39 of 54


    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

    You do realize that 1,000 txts a day is one txt every 86 [corrected] seconds for 24 hours straight?


     


    This is how some humans live and operate. Not the best thing to read when starting my day, but…  





    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

    Apparently the writers have chosen to implement the use of Star Wars dialect in their headlines, not that I blame them.


     


    Episode Seven will suck, do you think?

  • Reply 40 of 54
    How can you only do like 700 texts?!

    Maybe he, like, you know, works for a living to pay his, like, um, phone bill? And everything.
Sign In or Register to comment.