Windows chief Steven Sinofsky leaves Microsoft

Comments

• Reply 21 of 137
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devon Tourond View Post

Quote:

A better design... You're right, because the iPad is IS such a great design.

I'm not an Apple hater just to clear the air, I own a few Apple products and I love Apple (especially when Steve was alive) but the iPad (from what I've seen) doesn't bring any innovation what so ever - unless you count making the same thing bigger (in this case, the iPod Touch) I have no idea what I am talking about.

I also love Microsoft and I think the Surface does bring more innovation than the iPad needed the kickstand. I'm waiting for the Surface Pro in January and I can't wait to get it out of here.

Some edits to give your post some relevance to the real world.

• Reply 22 of 137
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by davesmall View Post

Sinofsky is a major jerk. Microsoft will be better off without him.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Are you saying that Sinofsky is incompatible with the MS culture of caring nurturing? As in?

• Reply 23 of 137
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    the iPad (from what I've seen) doesn't bring any innovation what so ever - unless you count making the same thing bigger (in this case, the iPod Touch).

I also love Microsoft and I think the Surface does bring more innovation than the iPad.
    Yes, that's why the iPad is the best selling computing device on the planet, and everybody including Microsoft copied it. That is, they copied the iPad after it was released, not the iPod Touch, because clearly nobody would ever want a bigger iPod Touch.

I'd love to know what innovations you think Microsoft is bringing to the game ... It's basically their tablet PC bill gates has been pushing since the 90s except its redesigned to look like an iPad. It has an integrated keyboard, just like a netbook or a laptop. And it has all the same ports as the netbooks and laptops that preceded it. Oh yes, and then there's that kickstand ... Turns the Surface into a picture frame ... Yeah that's fresh and original. Somebody might want to apply that to picture frams so instead of just hanging on the wall, they can sit on desks and tables. Oh but wait, if you use the built-in kick stand you won't be able to use a custom case from the hundreds of third party manufacturers that have been making kick-stand type cases since the iPad was launched. So innovative ...
  • Reply 24 of 137

A month ago I posted that I intended to get Windows 8. The price looked OK until I read more specifically that I only could get that price if I updated my Windows OS. That price wasn't for a full fresh installation. Now I won't be buying Windows 8.

Sinofsky looked very nervous at the Surface presentation. It was probably because he suspected it wasn't ready. When his IE froze he probably knew it would happen and was cursing in his mind. Did he believe that incident would get him fired? Maybe he was thinking "That's the last straw. I'm out'a here."

The Surface project does look like an ambitious project that if done successfully will improve the portable personal computer. If it fails due to sub standard software Microsoft will crash. Sinofsky's leaving might be a portend of doom. If anybody would know the near future of Microsoft it would be him.

• Reply 25 of 137
    Maybe they're eloping.
  • Reply 26 of 137
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

This is more shocking than the Forstall departure. You guys trash talk him, but he was probably my favorite public Microsoft figure and always saw him as passionate, ambitious and visionary. I wonder if he's leaving because of reduced faith in the product and the company, or if he was kicked out because of 'friction' a la Forstall. 

• Reply 27 of 137
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Quote:

A better design... You're right, because the iPad is such a great design.

I'm not an Apple hater just to clear the air, I own a few Apple products and I love Apple (especially when Steve was alive) but the iPad (from what I've seen) doesn't bring any innovation what so ever - unless you count making the same thing bigger (in this case, the iPod Touch).

I also love Microsoft and I think the Surface does bring more innovation than the iPad. I'm waiting for the Surface Pro in January and I can't wait to get it.

No, you're right, the iPad wasn't innovative at all, it just created the tablet industry, which is why every single tablet now in existence is either completely based on it, or heavily inspired by it. Oh, and BTW the iPad was released under SJ, back when you "loved" Apple. I dont know what your definition of innovation is, but if you cant see how the iPad was innovative in so, so many ways, and how there was nothing like it when it was released, then there's no hope for you or any shred of objectivity you might have. 

• Reply 28 of 137
    No point in over analyzing this one. It's just MS going back to their roots and copying Apple.

;)
  • Reply 29 of 137

If anyone was still wondering whether Win 8 was a disaster or not, here's your answer: disaster.

• Reply 30 of 137
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    slurpy wrote: »
    This is more shocking than the Forstall departure. You guys trash talk him, but he was probably my favorite public Microsoft figure and always saw him as passionate, ambitious and visionary. I wonder if he's leaving because of reduced faith in the product and the company, or if he was kicked out because of 'friction' a la Forstall. 
    I've heard it was friction. H didn't play nice with others and protected ans promoted all things Windows. I also heard he was partially responsible for Microsoft killing off the Courier concept.
  • Reply 31 of 137
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Yes, that's why the iPad is the best selling computing device on the planet, and everybody including Microsoft copied it. That is, they copied the iPad after it was released, not the iPod Touch, because clearly nobody would ever want a bigger iPod Touch.
    I'd love to know what innovations you think Microsoft is bringing to the game ... It's basically their tablet PC bill gates has been pushing since the 90s except its redesigned to look like an iPad. It has an integrated keyboard, just like a netbook or a laptop. And it has all the same ports as the netbooks and laptops that preceded it. Oh yes, and then there's that kickstand ... Turns the Surface into a picture frame ... Yeah that's fresh and original. Somebody might want to apply that to picture frams so instead of just hanging on the wall, they can sit on desks and tables. Oh but wait, if you use the built-in kick stand you won't be able to use a custom case from the hundreds of third party manufacturers that have been making kick-stand type cases since the iPad was launched. So innovative ...

laptop-vs-surface-tablet-side-view.jpeg
  • Reply 32 of 137
    Something tells me windows 8 is a flop
  • Reply 33 of 137

Quote:

Quote:

That doesn't mean Windows 8's a disaster..

No, but it's a pretty strong hint that it is. Microsoft has the exit poll data, they're just waiting till the polls close in California to call it.

• Reply 34 of 137
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

The best (only?) way for Ballmer to stay in control of Microsoft is to fire everyone in his succession plan.

• Reply 35 of 137
    anonymouse wrote: »
    No, but it's a pretty strong hint that it is. Microsoft has the exit poll data, they're just waiting till the polls close in California to call it.
    Oh yeah I forgot Ballmer hired pollster Mark Penn. The data must be bad. They never announced Surface sales. You know if they were good sales figures would've been released.
  • Reply 36 of 137

Another on bites the dust.

• Reply 37 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

God I hope not.

Have you SEEN Windows 8/Metro? What a train wreck ...

I don't know.  I have several friends that love the interface previously known as Metro.

I know several that hate it.

That means there is some genius in the design given it reminds me of the old CLI/Mouse days.  We know how that turned out.

• Reply 38 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

The reviews I have read have been generally negative across the board. PC Magazine was particularly harsh. People say it doesn't work well in the mouse & keyboards world - that it is touch focused. I have tried a non-touch-screen demo and did not like it at all. I am sticking to Windows 7.

Do you know how it does work great?

MagicMouse and MagicTrackpad.  Almost scary how well Windows 8 works with those two.

• Reply 39 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I've heard it was friction. H didn't play nice with others and protected ans promoted all things Windows. I also heard he was partially responsible for Microsoft killing off the Courier concept.

Courier killed Courier.

It was an ill conceived product that was 5+ years from being able to ship as shown.  When the same gesture magically has 3 different meanings under the same exact concept, you know it was little more than a dream concept with no real meat.

• Reply 40 of 137

Windows 8. Surface. Etc.

But wouldn't it make more sense to rid of Ballmer?