Windows chief Steven Sinofsky leaves Microsoft

Comments

• Reply 41 of 137
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

It's always a positive sign when the guy in charge of your recently released major new product leaves immediately afterwards!

The market will probably respond to this by knocking another 5% off Apple's stock.

• Reply 42 of 137
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

laptop-vs-surface-tablet-side-view.jpeg

:-)

• Reply 43 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Can we link Sinofsky to Petreaus and have this explode on Faux News?

Better than c B.S. 

• Reply 44 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

The reviews I have read have been generally negative across the board. PC Magazine was particularly harsh. People say it doesn't work well in the mouse & keyboards world - that it is touch focused. I have tried a non-touch-screen demo and did not like it at all. I am sticking to Windows 7.

Well that depends on who you are I guess. I've seen a lot of reviews but I have to try it out for myself before I can safely say that I don't like a product. And from what I've seen & heard Windows 8 is more secure, has improved performance and boots up a lot faster (which it does). I don't hate Windows 7 but I'm glad I upgraded. I don't regret it for one second.

• Reply 45 of 137
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    steven n. wrote: »
    Courier killed Courier.

It was an ill conceived product that was 5+ years from being able to ship as shown.  When the same gesture magically has 3 different meanings under the same exact concept, you know it was little more than a dream concept with no real meat.
    Oh I don't doubt that. But I also don't doubt that Windows and Office rule the roost at Microsoft and if you're developing a product that doesn't revolve around those two your product is most likely DOA. According to the Verge the server and tools team had issues with Sinofsky and especially Windows RT. Windows 8 might be ok, but Windows RT appears to be a disaster. And why on earth would you call it Windows RT? Most people don't even know what RT stands for and when they find out its "run time" they have no idea what that means.
  • Reply 46 of 137
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    poke wrote: »
    It's always a positive sign when the guy in charge of your recently released major new product leaves immediately afterwards!

The market will probably respond to this by knocking another 5% off Apple's stock.
    And Amazon's stock will jump 5%
  • Reply 47 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

That may well be, but its one of the most confusing UIs I've ever seen. Bright garish colors, clashing with random square boxes and sliding tile bands, it's ridiculous. Every time I try to focus on a desktop screen, my eyes ache ... When I look away its like one of this American Flag optical illusions where you stare at the inverse colors and it appears correct when you look at a blank wall.

It's just a jumble of confusing ideas trying to mask the same old flimsy underpinnings. It looks like a bunch of software geeks and sales guys came up with it based on what they thought looked hip to the youngsters, and did absolutely no consumer testing.

What do you think makes it confusing? I love the fact that it offers different colors. It's always great to personalize your experience whether it be with Windows or on OS X. I can see *some* of your points but I disagree a lot at the same time. I love it and I think Microsoft is great for taking risks. A company needs to take risks now and then. I'm just amazed by the Start Screen. It's just better than the Start Menu in so many ways. I can organize all my files a lot easier with the Start Screen than with the Start Menu. I also love how I can separate files from each other and set some of them to be live-tiles or not. All in all, Windows 8 has done well in innovation. The UI is great, it's easy to use, it's faster and more secure (it's not 100% but nothing is).

• Reply 48 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Groan.

Do us all a favor. Please. Just slink away.....

I'm not going to go away. I have the right to speak my mind and if you don't like it, too bad.

• Reply 49 of 137
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lales View Post

Forstell moves to MS. Sinofsky joins Apple.

Forstall is an Special Advisor to Tim Cook, so that won't happen.   NO.  Synofsky isn't going to go to Apple.

• Reply 50 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devon Tourond View Post

Quote:

What do you think makes it confusing? I love the fact that it offers different colors. It's always great to personalize your experience whether it be with Windows or on OS X. I can see *some* of your points but I disagree a lot at the same time. I love it and I think Microsoft is great for taking risks. A company needs to take risks now and then. I'm just amazed by the Start Screen. It's just better than the Start Menu in so many ways. I can organize all my files a lot easier with the Start Screen than with the Start Menu. I also love how I can separate files from each other and set some of them to be live-tiles or not. All in all, Windows 8 has done well in innovation. The UI is great, it's easy to use, it's faster and more secure (it's not 100% but nothing is).

The interface reminds me of an OS that one might see on some cheap plastic fake tablet at Toys R Us.  It's a joke.

• Reply 51 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

:-)

Hahahaha. PERFECT. 

• Reply 52 of 137

Here's a thought. I read that there was a survey taken on what they thought of Windows 8 amongst current WIndows users.  I think it was 58% aren't planning on upgrading.  Does that mean that potentially 58% of the current WIndows are potentiall OS X users?  That's a staggering increase.  There was 10% of the Windows users that thought that OS X is better.  10% of the current install base of Windows users is somewhere around 100 Million users. That would a significant boost to Apple's current install base if 10% of Microsoft's user base bought a Mac within the next 12 months.

• Reply 53 of 137

Quote:

Quote:

Your comments are living proof that bad taste is alive and well in the world. Furthermore you confuse bad design with risk taking. When Apple introduced the iPhone and the iPad they were taking a great risk. When Microsoft introduced this Fisher Price color design concept for the Smart Phone market that Apple created, and the tablet market that Apple created, they were not risk taking, they were ignorant of good design.

• Reply 54 of 137

So is Sharktopus a shark or octopus? Microsoft says "it's both!" and that's what customers want: a shark that's also an octopus. Sharktopus 8.

• Reply 55 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

A better design... You're right, because the iPad is IS such a great design.

I'm not an Apple hater just to clear the air, I own a few Apple products and I love Apple (especially when Steve was alive) but the iPad (from what I've seen) doesn't bring any innovation what so ever - unless you count making the same thing bigger (in this case, the iPod Touch).

I also love Microsoft and I think the Surface does bring more innovation than the iPad. I'm waiting for the Surface Pro in January and I can't wait to get it.

Well can you explain to me how the iPad is innovative? I'll be waiting for your response. It wouldn't matter if you replied or not because there's virtually nothing you could bring up that makes the iPad oh so innovative.

Oh and by the way, nice try and editing what I said.. You really made me laugh when you said that your post would bring relevance to the real world - yeah right..

• Reply 56 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Some edits to give your post some relevance to the real world.

Funny as hell!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Reply 57 of 137

Quote:

Well that depends on who you are I guess. I've seen a lot of reviews but I have to try it out for myself before I can safely say that I don't like a product. And from what I've seen & heard Windows 8 is more secure, has improved performance and boots up a lot faster (which it does). I don't hate Windows 7 but I'm glad I upgraded. I don't regret it for one second.

New installs of Windows are always faster.  Come back here in a year when you have 124 processes running and it takes 8 min for the startup to get to a point where you can actually click on those stupid live tiles.

• Reply 58 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Here's a thought. I read that there was a survey taken on what they thought of Windows 8 amongst current WIndows users.  I think it was 58% aren't planning on upgrading.  Does that mean that potentially 58% of the current WIndows are potentiall OS X users?  That's a staggering increase.  There was 10% of the Windows users that thought that OS X is better.  10% of the current install base of Windows users is somewhere around 100 Million users. That would a significant boost to Apple's current install base if 10% of Microsoft's user base bought a Mac within the next 12 months.

Unfortunately, all it means is that 58% of the windows users are happy with whatever OS they are currently using. However, it does seem that a segment of the market is switching to Apple products when they buy their next computer. Some buy iMacs, most buy laptops or iDevices. Some of Apple's laptops are bought to run primarily Windows. Where Apple is scoring the most converts is with the iPhones and iPads. 

While desktop Mac sales are growing each year (and Windows PC sales are dropping), currently Apple sells more "hobby" iTVs than they do iMacs.

• Reply 59 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Oh I don't doubt that. But I also don't doubt that Windows and Office rule the roost at Microsoft and if you're developing a product that doesn't revolve around those two your product is most likely DOA. According to the Verge the server and tools team had issues with Sinofsky and especially Windows RT. Windows 8 might be ok, but Windows RT appears to be a disaster. And why on earth would you call it Windows RT? Most people don't even know what RT stands for and when they find out its "run time" they have no idea what that means.

You might not be far from the mark. Here are links to two interesting posts regarding the Sinofsky departure;

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/microsoft-announces-leadership-change-sinofsky-out

http://curiousrat.com/home/2012/11/12/on-sinofskys-departure-from-microsoft

• Reply 60 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Are you saying that Sinofsky is incompatible with the MS culture of caring nurturing? As in?

It's getting so that the guy with only a Bowie knife is at a disadvantage at a Microsoft project team meeting.