HTC settlement may pay Apple $8 per phone, act as blueprint for Samsung & Motorola

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    rayz wrote: »
    I'm speaking generally. The whole Apple infringement thing is way too loud.

From the blogs. For hits.

Microsoft can act without mention because they don't generate hits for the blogs so why waste screen space. Nothing more or less
  • Reply 22 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobringer View Post

Um... analysts reported about the Microsoft deal.

Now analysts are reporting about the Apple deal.

This isn't an Apple press release... this is Shaw Wu talking to "industry sources."  The exact same as they did with Microsoft.

I'm speaking generally. The whole Apple infringement thing is way too loud. I wanted  to know how Microsoft managed to creep around the tech sector, extracting royalties from the Android OEMs and telling them what functions they could include on their phones the (including Samsung) - all without raising a ripple.

The answer is of course, Windows. 

Many of the companies who make Android phones also make Windows computers. The last thing they want is to risk a sudden and hefty increase in Windows licensing fees. And the rest can't afford a long drawn out battle.

If MS tried to force manufacturers to use MS software on phones in order to get MS software on computers -- They'd have Justice all over them in a minute...

It is illegal, according to antitrust laws, to tie-in one product with another!

• Reply 23 of 44
    mikeb85 wrote: »
    "May" pay up to 8$ a phone?

And may be paying more.

The man is wrong so often that making a completely off base and wrong statement/prediction is known in some circles as 'pulling a Wu'
  • Reply 24 of 44
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

And may be paying more.

The man is wrong so often that making a completely off base and wrong statement/prediction is known in some circles as 'pulling a Wu'

I thought it was "pulling a Munster"image

• Reply 25 of 44
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

If MS tried to force manufacturers to use MS software on phones in order to get MS software on computers -- They'd have Justice all over them in a minute...

It is illegal, according to antitrust laws, to tie-in one product with another!

Right, I'm not explaining myself very well.

The Android phone makers who also make Windows PCs will happily pay the Android fee and agree to disable the features that Microsoft tells them to, to protect the price of their Windows license.

MS cannot force companies to use their phone software, but there's nothing stopping them from hiking the fees to the likes of Samsung who don't agree to pay the Android fees.

• Reply 26 of 44
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

"May" pay up to 8$ a phone?  It's probably closer to the 5$ paid to Microsoft (HTC after all, does have a few patents that could be useful to Apple), but regardless, it's a huge softening of Apple's stance

This is no change at all in Apple's stance. They have always sought to negotiate terms with the Android manufacturers and Microsoft, so this is not much of a surprise. My guess is that as well as the license fee, HTC has also agreed not to copy Apple designs in the future (not that they were doing that anyway).

• Reply 27 of 44
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

trolltalk, galbi, droid, etc.

Without them, this place would be like um..... North Korea?

Sorry, I have not seen enough of you to counter them here.  To me, they contribute more than all of you combined.

• Reply 28 of 44
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    <span style="font-family:arial;font-size:14px;line-height:19px;">Can't be all THAT much.</span>

It all depends how much is Apple paying to HTC per device. Even if Apple is paying less, they do make and sell much more devices, so they can end up actually paying more to HTC than receiving from HTC.

And of course, all this is based on someone's conversation with industry sources who led someone to believe... so there's that.
  • Reply 29 of 44

• Reply 30 of 44
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Speaking of trolls, this one is for the iHaters:

http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/index.html
  • Reply 31 of 44
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Originally Posted by Slang4Art 

now-deleted post

I'm sure you believe that was clever. He was using junk logic, which he would normally regard as trolling. Usually he at least has some basis for his statements. The entire "Android is a stolen product" meme has gotten really old.

• Reply 32 of 44

Let me get this straight: For every single one of iPhone/iPad it sells Apple will get at least $100 nett profit, but for evey single one of HTC device sold in lieu of iGadgets- further eroding Apple's market share, Apple will get merely $8. Hm...If Apple is relying so much in this business model then it makes sense that AAPL will continue to plunge like a rock and will continue to under-perform the market in the foreseeable future.

• Reply 33 of 44
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    And Apple would properly pay $1 per devices sold to HTC, which would get those patents from HTC and level up the payment from HTC. Its net price should be pretty much in single digit millions.
  • Reply 34 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

This is no change at all in Apple's stance. They have always sought to negotiate terms with the Android manufacturers and Microsoft, so this is not much of a surprise. My guess is that as well as the license fee, HTC has also agreed not to copy Apple designs in the future (not that they were doing that anyway).

Except this is the first time Apple's demands came down to a reasonable number.  Reports had them asking for $40+ per phone.

• Reply 35 of 44

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

The entire "Android is a stolen product" meme has gotten really old.

Yeah, if I supported a company that exists simply because they stole their OS from another company, I'd get sick of hearing about how completely wrong I was, too.

Oh, wait, no I wouldn't; I'd just support another company.

Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Except this is the first time Apple's demands came down to a reasonable number.  Reports had them asking for $40+ per phone.

You (they) don't get to say what "reasonable" is. Either you pay what they want or you don't get to use it. These aren't FRAND-based patents.

• Reply 36 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, if I supported a company that exists simply because they stole their OS from another company, I'd get sick of hearing about how completely wrong I was, too.

Then it's good that company doesn't exist. 

• Reply 37 of 44

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Then it's good that company doesn't exist. 

Right, it got purchased a few years back.

• Reply 38 of 44

Actually it reached a cross-licensing agreement with Apple several years back rather than being bought out. They're still around, just struggling with their mobile business plans.

• Reply 39 of 44

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

They're still around, just struggling with their mobile business plans.

Poor Android.

• Reply 40 of 44

You were referring to Android? Geesh, and I thought it was Microsoft who supposedly copied Apple's OS that was supposedly copied from Xerox PARC. 

My apologies. Wonder why Apple hasn't sued Google then? Doesn't Apple always sue just as soon as they're aware of copying or infringement? Heck it's been over 5 years now. It wouldn't be the money trail since Apple wouldn't want money from them anyway. They'd go for an injunction, right?

Anyway, nothing to be gained from re-hashing an old story and old claims, so sorry for the interruption. Everyone as you were.image