Apple doubles Tiffany's in retail sales per square foot

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple is once again by far the most valuable retailer based on sales per square foot, more than doubling the sales of Tiffany & Co.

Retail

Apple's retail stores earn $6,050 per square foot, according to the latest data from RetailSails. In comparison, Tiffany & Co. is the second most profitable American retailer per square foot, earning $3,017.

Beyond Apple and Tiffany's, no retailer managed to top $2,000 per square foot, as the No. 3 chain lulu lemon athletic earned $1,936.

Apple also cracked the top 10 retailers with the highest overall sales per store. Apple came in at No. 9, behind wholesale retailers like Costco and Sam's Club, as well as Neiman Marcus and Walmart.

The data from RetailSales comes from an analysis of more than 200 American retailers spanning 15 sectors. Together, they operate more than 200,000 stores and generate more than $1.6 trillion in sales.

Apple has consistently been the top earner among U.S. retailers in sales per square foot. Data released earlier this year showed that Apple Stores earn 17 times more than the national average.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21

"This proves with numbers that Apple products are overpriced. U mad, Appleites?"

If this has to keep up, I'll wind up turning into the leader of the Anti-Apple Brigade…image

• Reply 2 of 21
    This proves that their stores are too small. It wouldn't kill Apple to make their stores larger and only make $5000 per square foot.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    I think we can safely say you are already number 1

Hmm, nice n easy posting on the mobile version with a 5
  • Reply 4 of 21
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) BJ's Wholesale? Is that even legal?

2) The more important news is they broke the top 10 sales per store despite their relatively tiny stores. The electronics section of Costco, Sam's and Walmart are probably bigger than most Apple Stores.

3) I expect Apple to grow in the top 10 rapidly. Partially on a presumption of the iPad mini which generates more revenue for the volume it takes up compared to the 10" iPad.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Way to go Apple!!! :smokey:
  • Reply 6 of 21
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    charlituna wrote: »
    This proves that their stores are too small. It wouldn't kill Apple to make their stores larger and only make $5000 per square foot.

Their non-flagship stores could stand to be larger than a two-lane bowling alley. The one I visit always feels cramped. They could stand carpeting too.
  • Reply 7 of 21

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

They could stand carpeting too.

Harder to clean, though it would dampen some sound. It's often difficult to talk at all in an Apple Store.

• Reply 8 of 21
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Their non-flagship stores could stand to be larger than a two-lane bowling alley. The one I visit always feels cramped. They could stand carpeting too.

They might have to do that in at least one of their Apple Stores...

• Reply 9 of 21
    Harder to clean, though it would dampen some sound. It's often difficult to talk at all in an Apple Store.

The noise was my main concern. Commercial carpet is easy to maintain. Other stores seem to do pretty well with a hard surface for a center aisle, but still have carpeted side areas. I think it would make a huge difference.
  • Reply 10 of 21

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The noise was my main concern. Other stores seem to do pretty well with a hard surface for a center aisle, but havel carpeted side areas. I think it would make a huge difference.

Maybe ceilings designed with soundproofing in mind could help that without carpeting entering the equation…

• Reply 11 of 21
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Apple should come up with a way of electronically sucking up and squelching ambient noise. Better retail experience.
  • Reply 12 of 21

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Apple should come up with a way of electronically sucking up and squelching ambient noise. Better retail experience.

New from Apple: Antispeakers. They emit quiet. Turn them up to make things quieter. Available in omnidirectional or carotid (ships in 2-3 weeks).

• Reply 13 of 21

Maybe ceilings designed with soundproofing in mind could help that without carpeting entering the equation…

It would certainly help. I don't think it would be as effective as a lot of the noise seems to be shoes squeaking.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    New from Apple: Antispeakers. They emit quiet. Turn them up to make things quieter. Available in omnidirectional or carotid (ships in 2-3 weeks).

That's it. The Next Big Thing. Surround Quiet. Apple isn't doomed after all. And Steve approved it.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    It would certainly help. I don't think it would be as effective as a lot of the noise seems to be shoes squeaking.
    Absolutely, yes.

A lot of restaurants do this where carpeting the floors is not desirable for obvious reasons.

And for situations where that's not desirable, there's always fabric covered, sound-baffling walls, which make a design statement in of themselves.

However, I've noticed Apple tends to rely on their stores being jam-packed so that the human bodies absorb the sound.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    mac_128 wrote: »
    However, I've noticed Apple tends to rely on their stores being jam-packed so that the human bodies absorb the sound.

Doesn't work because each of those bodies generate sound too.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They might have to do that in at least one of their Apple Stores...

Almost every large Apple store I've been to has a noise problem.   Combine hard floors with hard tables with hard wall surfaces in a cavernous space and you're going to have lots of noise.    This is another example of Apple emphasizing visual design over practicality.   The smaller mall stores aren't as bad.

Sound gets amplified in those circumstances.    I was in the Lincoln Center store one day and thought they had a live band in the lower level.   I ran down there and discovered it was just a very small speaker/amp playing iTunes.    When Siri was first released, it was almost impossible to test it in that store, due to all the noise.  

The problem in the Lincoln Center store and others like it is that on the main level, the "ceiling" is the glass roof and the floor and walls are made of stone.    The only thing I can think of that might help a little is putting up sound absorbers on the stone walls and maybe putting up sound baffles around each table.    The SoHo (NYC) store, which was the first Apple store in  New York, is actually much better in this regard as is the Fifth Avenue store - you can hear a conversation there.

• Reply 18 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is once again by far the most valuable retailer based on sales per square foot, more than doubling the sales of Tiffany & Co.

And Apple Stores are probably 10 times louder than Tiffany & Co. stores.

• Reply 19 of 21
    solipsismx wrote: »

Nice article, thanks. I like that site
  • Reply 20 of 21
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    In comparison, Tiffany & Co. is the second most profitable American retailer per square foot, earning $3,017.
    This report is only about sales totals, not profit.