Apple begins shipping LTE-capable iPad mini models

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by patsu View Post

Well, speed, better quality plus other stuff we probably have not seen yet, like the finger printing tech they bought.

So maybe a renaming is in the works - iPad (7.9) and iPad Pro (9.7)

• Reply 22 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Wow! Mine was supposed to ship Nov 21 and I just found out it shipped today! Fabulous!

anyone found out if any ATT unit shipped yet - seems just Verizon?

• Reply 23 of 55
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    paxman wrote: »
    So maybe a renaming is in the works - iPad (7.9) and iPad Pro (9.7)

My cellular Retina iPad (AT&T) has shipped ! Will let you know how they match up when I use it for a week.

For now, the mini accompanies me everywhere I go. It even fits into my wife's tiny bag, she used to remove the iPad from her larger bag everytime I slipped it in.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    didnt he just suggest 3 possible scenarios, why are you claiming scenario 3 as a conclusion?

Because 1&2 are sans the iPad mini which are negated because it does now exist.
  • Reply 25 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I think you are lying. If you're not lying, I think you're too fickle to be going into Apple stores.

You are welcome to your opinion.  Notice I didn't say the display was terrible, however after using a retina iPad, retina iPhone, and retina MacBook Pro it's easy to notice the difference.

• Reply 26 of 55
    paxman wrote: »
    The question is: If the mini gets a retina display (same screen real estate as the larger iPad) and the same processor - why the 9.7" iPad?

How could a 7.9 screen have the same real estate as a 9.7 screen? Same resolution yes but not the same size.
  • Reply 27 of 55

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

…why the 9.7" iPad?

A screen size that is actually usable.

• Reply 28 of 55
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member

Not just the size, the mini is usable for all my friends who tried it too.

I think the visible screen estate is a lot more useful for some apps and content. It's splendid over Wifi (and LTE if you can afford it)
  • Reply 29 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

How could a 7.9 screen have the same real estate as a 9.7 screen? Same resolution yes but not the same size.

OK, maybe I am getting confused but if the dpi is higher is the resolution the same? If what you see on the smaller screen is a shrunken version of the larger, is the real estate not the same? 

• Reply 30 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Are you finding the mini screen size makes apps hard to use? If the purpose of the larger iPad is to serve those with poor eyesight or chubby fingers it definitely will sell less than the mini. I suspect there will always be a performance and feature difference.

• Reply 31 of 55
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Quote:

Wow! Mine was supposed to ship Nov 21 and I just found out it shipped today! Fabulous!

anyone found out if any ATT unit shipped yet - seems just Verizon?

Mine is AT&T

• Reply 32 of 55

I'm very happy about this.  Mine was supposed to arrive on November 21, but I was going to be away for Thanksgiving, and moving to a new house when I returned. 

I sold my iPad 2 for the mini and my iPad 3 for the iPad 4, so now I'm iPad-less until the mini comes.

• Reply 33 of 55

Quote:

OK, maybe I am getting confused but if the dpi is higher is the resolution the same? If what you see on the smaller screen is a shrunken version of the larger, is the real estate not the same? 

The resolution is the same as iPad 2 (same number of pixels) but the pixels are smaller thus the device has a higher pixel density making everything smaller but sharper.

• Reply 34 of 55
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    gunslinger wrote: »

You are welcome to your opinion.  Notice I didn't say the display was terrible, however after using a retina iPad, retina iPhone, and retina MacBook Pro it's easy to notice the difference.

I looked at some of your recent posts. It appears you did buy a mini, and were not making up the usual trollish negative stuff that comes in when Apple releases something new. So apologies for one accusation, but my other criticism applies.

The thing is, you say you "thoroughly enjoyed" the mini, but you still returned it. You say you're familiar with the retina screens from the other three device categories, but you still bought it.

I still find it shocking that people will stick others with the results of just a bad decision on their part, and blithely return a valuable thing that has been opened, handled and basically ruined as a new device. Yes, I'm old fashioned, at least in this area of values. I try to keep up in other areas.
  • Reply 35 of 55

In my 3 scenarios, I am mainly trying to explain Apple will only be concerned with the total IPAD shipment numbers in future.

Analysts are short-sighted people, they are worried about margin and margin of mini will likely go up in future when the volume and economies of scale kicks in.

It's not a foregone conclusion that ipad mini will become the de-factor ipad in future.

What if Apple manages to 'slim' down the 9.7 IPAD and lose 20 to 30% of its current weight?  Under this scenario, my scale would be tipped.  I would prefer the 9.7 ipad.

For now, we assume we will be happy with mini + Retina + A6, but what if IPAD 5 comes with A7 that is double or triple the performance of A6?  Hmm...we will wish for mini with Retina + A7 image then.

• Reply 36 of 55

Quote:

The resolution is the same as iPad 2 (same number of pixels) but the pixels are smaller thus the device has a higher pixel density making everything smaller but sharper.

Yes, but the problem is that there is no clear definition of what resolution means. Ppi is a better way of describing how sharp a screen image is (it is the measure of resolution in a printed image - dpi). Screen real estate is directly linked to ppi, and not screen size. So it gets confusing because the mini has a higher ppi than an iPad 2 but the same resolution, the same screen real estate but a smaller screen.

• Reply 37 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

This could be another problem or AAPL. IPad users finding out just how good the mini is, so they stop ordering the iPad 4 (and any other big iPads in the future). That means customers would spend a lot less on iPads in the future.

yes...

now.. several semi-related thoughts...

the gross margin is the same.  just less revenue, which means they can build more for the same price... and assuming it's competitive, more people will buy it.  It will all wash out.

The RD mini (my guess less than a year) will push that price point back up a bit.

My personal opinion... 'i'TV is a TV with appleTV built in.   with an iPad Mini, I'll want to buy a 19" TV for the Kitchen, a 37" for the bedroom, and a 55" for the home theatre, and my mini is the controller.  I move from room to room, and I just AirPlay them to the local TV (eventually being 'automatic' based on self-detection/GPS).    Minimally, everyone buying AppleTVs to make their current TVs AirPlay enabled will net-net more revenue over the 2 year life of the devices.

the 10" iPad becomes the iPad 'Pro'  and is a 'new line' of capabilities that make 'docking'  with 'work' and 'home' stations a breeze. (the cost is the same, but the docks are the revenue add

EcoSystem.  We need to see the transition from the device generating the profit, to the device generating the 'ecosystem upsell.'  (apps, content, cloud services, peripherals).

Bottom line... If apple doesn't cannabalize their own products, someone else will, and that AppleID/CreditCard pair goes dormant.

• Reply 38 of 55

Quote:

Mine is AT&T

thanks - i plan on leaving town Nov 20 - and I was hoping my ATT mini will arrive in time to join me. Wife's Verizon mini will be here this Friday - and would be envious -

• Reply 39 of 55

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, but the problem is that there is no clear definition of what resolution means. Ppi is a better way of describing how sharp a screen image is (it is the measure of resolution in a printed image - dpi). Screen real estate is directly linked to ppi, and not screen size. So it gets confusing because the mini has a higher ppi than an iPad 2 but the same resolution, the same screen real estate but a smaller screen.

The problem is that Real Estate is not a defined computer term. Resolution in computer screens is defined by the number of pixels in the Y direction by the number of pixels in the X direction. The pixel size can vary which changes the PPI. For example if a developer designs a button that is 100 pixels wide, if you measured it using a physical handheld ruler it will be smaller on the iPad mini than on the iPad 2 as will the text. With text, in certain circumstances, there can be some odd exceptions which could actually lead to layout and legibility issues.

With the iPad 3-4 screen Apple has made software adjustments which make the buttons twice their pixel dimensions rather than display them at the original size. In other words they scale the entire layout to match the size of the iPad 2 at the new screen resolution. In the case of rMBP they actually allow you to choose how you want to use the additional resolution using either pixels or by measurement.

On the desktop we have been dealing with this for a long time. Many modern screens are 96 dpi whereas software generally uses 72 dpi as the default. This means that if you use a program such as inDesign that allows you to select show page at 100%, the page actually measures about 25% smaller than 8-1/2" x 11".

• Reply 40 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I looked at some of your recent posts. It appears you did buy a mini, and were not making up the usual trollish negative stuff that comes in when Apple releases something new. So apologies for one accusation, but my other criticism applies.

The thing is, you say you "thoroughly enjoyed" the mini, but you still returned it. You say you're familiar with the retina screens from the other three device categories, but you still bought it.

I still find it shocking that people will stick others with the results of just a bad decision on their part, and blithely return a valuable thing that has been opened, handled and basically ruined as a new device. Yes, I'm old fashioned, at least in this area of values. I try to keep up in other areas.

Perhaps my expectations of the display were too high.  I assumed the reduction is size would make the pixels less obvious but could not see past it.  The size, weight, and portability of the Mini were great and as some have said I think it could replace the larger iPad for me.

I have to admit I never considered a returned product ruined as a new device.  I find it easier to purchase online and use it in real life situations as the Apple Store is often too crowded and riddled with adolescents to get much objective use.  You do however, make a good point.