Nokia's free 'Here' maps coming to Apple's iOS with offline support

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Also, notice that Nokia states that they needed to release it multiplatform, so as many users possible can use it so that they can remain competitive, as the system gets more intelligent the more usage it gets. Apple was mocked and attacked for saying this exact thing, and instead so many stated that Apple should have 'perfected' the app in their labs before releasing it, a ludicrous expectation. 

No one was disagreeing that the maps would improve as users helped correct the errors and that analysis of search queries could lead to improved accuracy. I think most of the complaints were related to how much still needed to be done. Certainly, they must have known how bad their data was in the beginning. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, they didn't even have their own store locations correct. This app was rushed out the door to coincide with the release of iPhone 5. Personally, I had a little higher expectation of what the completeness should have been prior to launch.

• Reply 22 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Its OK but I hate the 'look' of it and zooming is too sensitive with my Magic Mouse. Google Maps is still the best. On my iPhone I use Apple Maps as much as possible because it works the best. The only problem is that it gets most locations wrong and knows very few basic POI's :-(. I have notified Apple about dozens of location where the pin drops several blocks away from the actual location, but so far nothing has changed. 

They do fix the POI's eventually.  I reported the fact that a station in the village I grew up in had been closed in 1969 and demolished in 1972, and after about a month, they removed it.

Thanks also to MStone for posting the link to the web version of Nokia Maps.  I rather like it.

• Reply 23 of 39
    I told ya apple maps sucked. Now apple goes to a Finnish company for American maps! Unbelievable !
  • Reply 24 of 39
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The title of this article says FREE. Have you looked at the web version. It is pretty impressive. The data is top notch. NavTeq is the absolutely best satellite imagery out there and their street data is second to none. Apple maps is really a distant third place at best. Being the default Map on iOS gives them the advantage as it is integrated with Siri but both Google and Nokia have top notch mapping offerings.

Here is a current list of what Nokia offers

• Driving and walking turn-by-turn with international voice guidance

• Live traffic rerouting in some countries

• Live traffic visualization on the map in some countries

• Third-party content such as ViaMichelin

and Lonely Planet

• Location-aware social networking to Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, and many other networks

• Street maps can be preloaded and used offline

• Street maps can be loaded via wifi from the phone

• Weather app – local conditions by the hour and forecasts for the week

• Night View

• Satellite Maps

• Terrain Maps

• 3D buildings and 3D maps

• Public Transit Lines and routing in some cities

• Save favorites

In the area I live Apple has the best maps, with all the streets named correctly, Google has the streets with the wrong names, Nokia doesn't even have the streets, it's a big blank area with the road leading in just ending.

No maps are perfect no matter how much people say they are.

• Reply 25 of 39

You are comparing Apples to oranges. Nokia map/drive as in Windows Phone 7.5-8 are far superior than current rendition of Apple's map. Here, you are trying to compare Nokia web-based map with your Apple's iPhone/iPad maps. You should apply your comparison between Nokia Drive/Maps in Windows Phone vis a vis Apple's own map. That will be a fair comparison. When you do that comparison, then you'll know how far behind Apple is with its own map, not to mention the current rendering of Nokia's own Augmented map, i.e. Nokia City Lens. Nokia "Here" sans some features found only on Wp's Nokia Drive/Maps will help you see some of what's missing from Apple's own offering.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

In the area I live Apple has the best maps, with all the streets named correctly, Google has the streets with the wrong names, Nokia doesn't even have the streets, it's a big blank area with the road leading in just ending.

No maps are perfect no matter how much people say they are.

• Reply 26 of 39
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

If it is a paid app, the revenue could help keep Nokia on life support a little longer.

Edit: I just saw where the app will be a free feature-limited version, so Nokia can capture the data to help improve the full-featured Lumia version.

I hate to tell you, Nokia probably has the best mapping data out of anybody including Google. In the US, Nokia gets all the UPS GPS daily truck delivery data as UPS relies on its maps. Moreover, Nokia has been at maps longer than Google. It also had a 3D flyover type of map before Apple. 

With all that said, I am happy with Apple's maps. 

• Reply 27 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Nokia maps are FAR superior to Apple maps. This will be a huge bonus to those poor iPhone 5 users who are stuck with the map downgrade. Nokia has been mapping for over a decade and their data on locations, building and businesses is on par with Google.

The problem with statements like this is they are completely subjective. I need maps to get me around the state I live in. Namely, Michigan. I used Apple's maps this week to traverse some new areas in the UP. Apple's maps worked great. Moreover, I love the graphics, rendering,  and turn by turn in relation to Apple' previous map app based on Google's data. Apple simply is better at design then Google, and the way something functions and looks is important to me. 

With that said, I recognize people might need maps for other purposes and non-apple offerings might be better suited, but for many people's purposes Apple's offerings are going to be preferred. Moreover, (at least in the US) Apple is getting its data from respected sources like Tom Tom, Open Street Maps, and Yelp. 

I for one think Nokia's maps exceed Google's offerings. Unlike Google, Nokia's has deals with companies like UPS where it gets all their driving data daily and its maps data is updated accordingly. If a UPS driver reports an address wrong, the map data is corrected. Moreover, Nokia released Apple like Flyover years ago before both Apple and Google. With that said, even Nokia's information is not always correct. For instance, there are some local business that have closed and/or changed name and this is not reflected in Nokia's data (and Google's to a lessor extent), but it is in Apple's (presumably based on Apple's choice to use Yelp). 

Finally, Apple doesn't care if Nokia or even Google releases a map app to the App Store because Apple knows most people are like myself and the build in Maps App is going to be sufficient, 2) Apple is denying Google valuable data that Apple will now have, which it will use to make its maps better, and 3) Apple is forcing Google to increase the quality of any Map App it brings to the App Store without having to enter into an agreement with Google. 

• Reply 28 of 39
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    tbell wrote: »
    quinney wrote: »
    If it is a paid app, the revenue could help keep Nokia on life support a little longer.

Edit: I just saw where the app will be a free feature-limited version, so Nokia can capture the data to help improve the full-featured Lumia version.

I hate to tell you, Nokia probably has the best mapping data out of anybody including Google. In the US, Nokia gets all the UPS GPS daily truck delivery data as UPS relies on its maps. Moreover, Nokia has been at maps longer than Google. It also had a 3D flyover type of map before Apple. 

Why do you hate to tell me? I am happy for Nokia and I think their strategy of supplying a free maps app to iOS users to improve their data is a good one, although I would prefer iOS users help improve Apple's data first.
  • Reply 29 of 39

Quote:

It appears that Nokia is more practical than either Apple of Google!

Not sure what you mean. Everybody knows you need data to make great map software. Nokia and Google have the advantage of being at it a longer time. Apple, however, is getting a lot of data from the hundreds of millions of iOS devices running iOS 6. Apple will catch up. I will be surprised if Apple doesn't bring mapping to its next OSX upgrade. 

• Reply 30 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Why do you hate to tell me? I am happy for Nokia and I think their strategy of supplying a free maps app to iOS users to improve their data is a good one, although I would prefer iOS users help improve Apple's data first.

LOL. I don't know why I hate to tell you either! Maybe I responded to the wrong post. Don't worry most people tend to use the built in offerings. Apple will be getting the data it needs. 

• Reply 31 of 39

Nokia Maps is pretty awesome.  All it lacks is a street view.  Apple better approve of that app or else buy the whole shebang from Nokia.

• Reply 32 of 39
    Nokia is trying to compete with google and apple maps, why get themselves slapped in the face, they can't compete, I have never used it but I Can not see why this would beat Apple espicially of paid, why buy with a built in free better app, it looks like its just showing there still trying (like there failing phones).
    Nokia maps powers 4 out of 5 sat navs per installed in cars. I don't know for certain but I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't already the market leader on global maps.
    mstone wrote: »
    It is not the same data. I don't think that it is a matter of Apple can't, they just didn't have time to complete the app before they needed to launch. Pity that they put the burden on the third party devs because eventually they will probably integrate that functionality and the devs will be SOL.
    What concerns me most about Apples maps is they bought the mapping company something like 2 years ago. In an interview I read with one of Nokias maps people they mentioned that they drive every road every year. And every year between 7 - 15% of the data points in a city would change. I just don't see how apple are going to get there maps fixed any time soon. Maps are a constantly changing thing that are never finished.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Google

Apple

Nokia

You were saying?

• Reply 34 of 39
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    It appears that Nokia is more practical than either Apple of Google!
    You mean than Apple? Google is offering its services to all, unlike Apple.
  • Reply 35 of 39

I think Nokia is trying to find their way back into the cellphone market by attacking the weakest link in the Apple ecosystem at the moment - Maps.

Smart move but how long will it last?

• Reply 36 of 39
    Well which is it? Is it an HTML5 app or a native iOS app? I wonder if this issue is understood/covered by any other publication.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

If they sold a million apps at $10 each, you think a measly $10 million would do anything for Nokia (with a net loss of $1.18 billion last quarter)?

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

It would keep the lights on for another two hours.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 38 of 39
    Nokia is trying to compete with google and apple maps, why get themselves slapped in the face, they can't compete, I have never used it but I Can not see why this would beat Apple espicially of paid, why buy with a built in free better app, it looks like its just showing there still trying (like there failing phones).

I have now tested it(iOS) it works Ok it's data is in 3rd place it's usability is based in 2nd place, Online I prefer it over google maps, however google on iOS would surpass it. It might nearly tie with Apple maps once a app, they did it ok, nothing to brag and still competes with google, map quest all Around. On IOS this Is probably the best time to release because it doesn't have to fight a higher stabile google, or in probably two years, a stable Apple maps. I don't think it will make over 3% of IOS costumers. It would help Apple and Google maps. But they have now entered the native app territory vs the Internet based with fewer features. So I put it ahead of google but behind apple.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    kevt wrote: »
    chris_ca wrote: »
    How would MS save iOS 6?

Er, the poster was referring to MS potentially saving Nokia by collaboration on the Lumia models.

Exactly!