Apple's iPhone grows to 5.5% share of all mobile phone sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51

I know how they can increase that share.  Deliver my iPhone 5.  After taking one day to travel from China to Anchorage Alaska, it's been languishing in Kentucky for two days.  

• Reply 22 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Apple doesn't offer a feature phone, so they will continue to pick up customers from people looking to upgrade. Smart-phone's apps and media lead to increased customer stickiness, while feature phone customers are prime for switching to Apple.

Apple doesn't offer a phone... it offers a computer that fits in your pocket that has cellular connectivity and a phone app.

I think the difference is clear.  

you sell your product like a phone, and you'll get phone profit margins

You sell your product like a ultra-light computer where size, weight, computational power, integrated features, durability/quality, and battery life are considered premiums,  you get a premium price.

• Reply 23 of 51

And finally,  Isn't Gartner pimping Windows Phone to be #2 in smart phone sales in '2 years'?  

Nokia losing 20% of it's units sales in 1 year... not a good thing.

Did anyone note the net sales of phones has dropped YoY?   Have we reached 'peak mobile'?  or is this just a temporary economic/geographic limitation? 

• Reply 24 of 51

I don't think AAPL can take anymore good news.

• Reply 25 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Apple doesn't offer a phone... it offers a computer that fits in your pocket that has cellular connectivity and a phone app.

You sell your product like a ultra-light computer where size, weight, computational power, integrated features, durability/quality, and battery life are considered premiums,  you get a premium price.

Yes, I recall when in Thailand I borrowed a friend's Samsung Android phone. It was super low quality and a small screen and a total pain to use. Couldn't do 15% of what an iPhone can do. So, of course, not all Android phones are even comparable to Apple and many high-end Android phones.

• Reply 26 of 51
    sensi wrote: »
    Well, if I let alone some UI elements of the Galaxy S home screen (from memory) which were indeed stated as "too similar" by Samsung people themselves in their competition comparatives, I would say no. But again I guess that your definition of "copy" -as in counterfact- isn't the same that for the ...

You probably meant counterfeit instead of the non existing word 'counterfact'.
    Nice slip of the tongue though because your opinion is counter factual.

sensi wrote: »
    Inspiration is mutual, and Apple "inspired" itself from prior art, from what was done right and working, as much as anybody else. Compare the LG Prada and the first iPhone if you don't see what I mean, or Sony top of the line laptops designs from the mid-2000 with the macbook...

It's all the same, most of the time I hear this statement it's exactly the opposite, as it is in this case.
    But I agree, as similar as Gandhi and Hitler.

J.
  • Reply 27 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Samsung: permanently permanently and publicly humiliated, shamed, dishonored, and exposed as the thieves they are, eclipsing their ill-gotten "success".

Thanks, Sensi, for the correction. Much less delusional now.

How many people do you think actually knows any of this is even happening? For the exceptions of forums like this consumers don't care. 

• Reply 28 of 51

AAPL at around $540'ish is now sitting in the middle of its 52-week high [$705] and 52-week low [$363]. With the amount of shares at the hand of big institutions,  it ain't gonna go anywhere soon. AAPL is now relegated to "value" play not "growth" play. For those of you who cashed in AAPL at $650+, congrats, you'd made a great call.  

Quote:

So, in essence, and because I'd like to see you say it, Samsung didn't copy Apple, correct?

Seems like they both did their best when the iPhone 3G was out. You'd think that at least one person at either company would remember what that was and have kept it up or something.

• Reply 29 of 51
    Absoutely. Mind-boggling. Especially when you consider that Jobs set a goal of just 1% share for its go-ahead. 

Look at the industry disruption it has wrought.... Nokia: gone. Palm: gone. RIM: gone. Sony-Ericsson: non-existent. LG: non-existent. MSFT in phones: non-existent. The list goes on.

Yup! Than google cought on early and decided to get in there while apple killed off the other os players!
    O google you are sneeky sneeky!:smokey:
  • Reply 30 of 51

Quote:

Apologies; you're right. Not slandered, "permanently and publicly humiliated, shamed, dishonored, and exposed as the thieves they are" is more appropriate.

I guess you're referring to the US case, not to all the other cases 

• Reply 31 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Samsung also has a part in it.

With their max market-share strategy, they are eating everyone on the low end. Until the market saturates, samsung will go on to sell 100 million smartphones per quarter...

Apple will keep going up, obviously, but at a much slower pace, which is perfect for them... the rest is irrelevant for Apple. Even if there was no one else, Apple wouldn't be able to sell more phones, they can't keep up with demand right know.

Apple is on the cusp of breaking the China market wide open. When that happens it will put a big upward kink in the Apple chart. They better be able to make more phones!

• Reply 32 of 51
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    these reports by Gartner, IDC and the rest are always about unit sales totals. but sales revenues are far more significant in fact, and are at least as important a metric for ranking market success. while profits of course are the metric for ranking business success.

but that's not the story they want to tell.

• Reply 33 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obama View Post

I know how they can increase that share.  Deliver my iPhone 5.  After taking one day to travel from China to Anchorage Alaska, it's been languishing in Kentucky for two days.  

You're just grumpy because your new iPhone is getting around more than you are.  image

• Reply 34 of 51
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Come off it with the overdramatic generalizations. Palm is the only one on that list that's gone. Nokia may still be in decline but they are still huge, own half of Siemens and still have north of 10b market cap, they are hardly gone as of now. Same for RIM except they are intentionally in a decline for a hail mary reboot next year, albeit a smaller market cap, not to mention the patent portfolio these 2 have. 

How long can Nokia sustain billion dollar quarterly losses?

If they manage to pull Windows 8 off, they'll have more lives than Lazarus.

• Reply 35 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

these reports by Gartner, IDC and the rest are always about unit sales totals. but sales revenues are far more significant in fact, and are at least as important a metric for ranking market success. while profits of course are the metric for ranking business success.

but that's not the story they want to tell.

With enough research you can tell a lot of stories, and if you tell enough stories in the same article you will confuse rather then illuminate. 

I have to admit that knowing how badly Nokia is doing and is losing money rather than making it, that they are still selling the hell out of cheap phones was rather surprising to me. It makes me wonder if anyone on that list, other than Apple and Samsung, are making any money at all.

• Reply 36 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I doubt India will help Apple to grow, they are in a position to buy high margin products like the rest of the world. Part of the reason that Motorola is in the shape they are is because they tried to compete in India and could not since their cost structure is too high. They tried making low cost phone for the masses and failed to competitors who had much lower costs. Apple's cost structure is now far higher than Motorola ever was. Plus as it was clearly stated Apple is marketing their product to the people with the most disposable income. They do not care if everyone can have their products. They doing well in China since the Chinese like buying product with brand recognition, India has not shown that level of consumerism.

In the face of all that you say, and I agree with you, HP has announced that their phone strategy will be to go capture that third and fourth-world phone market. Where's the money in that when they'll get paid in goats and skinny cows?

• Reply 37 of 51
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    I've had the iPhone 5 (AT&T) for a few weeks now and like it, was a little suspicious when the redesign was being touted and got the 4s as a hedge since I liked that one's performance and looks, but the 5 was a happy surprise. I expect that one is driving the expansion as more customers make a similar observation.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Needed the laugh.:lol: . Thanks.

He's actually correct. They have literally stopped the presses. It's always better to not make money than to lose it, but if the new Bold and BB 10 OS doesnt turn things around then they'll truly be sunk.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

So the "iPhone" isn't a phone? I understand what you're getting at but the way a iPhone gets used today is vastly different from it was in 2007. I would say it originally was a phone with a mini computer but now its more of a mini computer that can also make calls
  • Reply 40 of 51

Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

How many people do you think actually knows any of this is even happening?

Given that every single thing that Apple does and doesn't do is in the news, everyone intelligent enough to understand spoken communication.

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

I guess you're referring to the US case, not to all the other cases 

The sky isn't a different color when you go somewhere else. I'll ask you, too; Are you of the belief that Samsung did not copy Apple?