Apple granted design patents for page turning animation and iPad Smart Case

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I wonder if this is part of the skeuomorphics that Ive will be ditching. 

Highly doubt it.

• Reply 22 of 32
    What's your problem? 

And no, I don't mean "with Apple in general", even though that is the single most obvious use of that question possible. Nor do I mean it in the sense of "why are you wasting your life on a website about products you hate made by a company you hate", even though that's also quite valid.

I mean it in the sense of "This is a patent of an implementation of an idea, not an idea itself. Doesn't that go against all trolls' whining about granted patents?"

i dont even know what you just wrote...
  • Reply 23 of 32

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

i dont even know what you just wrote...

Sorry. This patent is in line with what people who nondescriptly complain about the patent system desire from their patents. What could possibly be the problem with it now?

• Reply 24 of 32
    Im sorry, WHAT? This effect was all over the web, for at least last 5[plus] years, even back in the days when phone could work on one charging for a week, not 12 hours.

Apple will become the biggest patent troll ever. Innovation my a**.
  • Reply 25 of 32

Originally Posted by maniek40 View Post

Im sorry, WHAT? This effect was all over the web, for at least last 5[plus] years, even back in the days when phone could work on one charging for a week, not 12 hours.

Apple will become the biggest patent troll ever. Innovation my a**.

If we had a chalkboard filled with tick marks of people who didn't read the thread or patent, we'd need a new chalkboard by now.

• Reply 26 of 32
    If we had a chalkboard filled with tick marks of people who didn't read the thread or patent, we'd need a new chalkboard by now.
    So, wich part I didnt read? Apple patented flippage effect, that was available for years, ie in here http://pageflip.hu/ in the exact form.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    This is crazy. Design patent for page turning animation?

Obviously Apple did not invent page turning animation. Apple simply has the money to hire attorneys who are connected well enough to get an absurd patent like this, regardless of how legitimate or enforceable it may be.

Then Apple can threaten, or sue, any competitor who has implemented page turning animation and make it very expensive for anyone to compete with them, regardless of the ultimate legitimacy and enforceability of this patent.

Apple has become a patent troll and the US Patent Office is broken.

I bet you that many of the same Patent Office employees who grant these absurd patents, later go into private practice benefiting from the "favors" they have done while working for the government. It's shameful.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    The images show the page turning from right to left, why didn't they patent the page being flipped back?
  • Reply 29 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,278member

...and now we have more proof that innovation is still alive, courtesy of the US Patent Office. They've just allowed a patent for another completely new concept: 

a Mobile App Development Platform! That's thinking outside the box. 

Just as the recipient company should to protect their investors, they've announced they "plan on strictly enforcing our patent with other companies that currently provide similar types of services,” said Scott Hirsch, founder and CEO, Appsbar. “Until Appsbar, novice tech users, small businesses, general consumers and more had to rely on an entire internal design and software team or hire a costly agency for the design, creation and publication of apps.”

https://www.techdirt.com/blog/innovation/articles/20121116/02165221072/patent-office-perhaps-forgetting-what-year-it-is-locks-down-mobile-app-development-platforms.shtml

Thank goodness we have software patents or all tech innovation would screech to a halt. 

• Reply 30 of 32
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    cubefan wrote: »
    I'm in a bit of a Bind here, a book is never 'binded' but 'bound'.
    Sorry to be picky and all that.

I don't get that either. It reads like an 8th grader's mistake. I can't correct the front page story, but I fixed the forum copy.

The thing is, for this case, the patent itself doesn't have much to read. Here is what I found:
    FIG. 1 is a front view of a a display screen or portion thereof with animated graphical user interface showing a first image in the sequence showing our new design;

FIG. 2 is a second image thereof; and,

FIG. 3 is a third image thereof.

The broken lines in the Figures show portions of a display screen or portion thereof with animated graphical user interface and portions of the display screen or portion thereof which form no part of the claimed design.

The appearance of the animated images sequentially transitions between the images shown in FIGS. 1-3. The process or period in which one image transitions to another forms no part of the claimed design.

The text really doesn't add anything. I don't think this patent is impressive. I'm pretty sure this was available a few years ago with Flash, being used to simulate flipping through a weekly ad flyer for a few large chains.
  • Reply 31 of 32

Apple added a patent for turning pages . Apple was granted two notable design patents by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Tuesday: one for the “page turn” animation found in many Apple applications, and another for the design of Smart Case iPad cover, which replaced the original Smart Cover in 2011.

for more information.......... http://doizza.com/apple-added-a-patent-for-turning-pages/

• Reply 32 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,278member

The validity of these patents have now been challenged too.

http://www.whda.com/blog/2013/01/more-oracle-inter-partes-review-requests-filed-week-of-december-24-2012/

#4 and #5 under the ex-parte exam listings.