Rumor: Release of new iMacs may be delayed into 2013

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Nah, everyone will still blame Forstall and claim Mansfield was still upset by the years of emotional torture.

I don't think they'll delay the release. They sell about 5 million Macs per quarter of which the iMac is about 25% so for the 1st batch, they should only need a month's supply = 5 x 0.25 / 3 = ~400,000.

If they have problems at that volume, they seriously need to rethink this whole welding thing. I personally don't get why they don't do what they did on the old iMacs and have the back detach from the screen. It doesn't look any worse than the bottom of the MBP and the only screws were in the base. You get incredibly easy access to the internals. You just unscrew the bottom and lift the back right off. No welding needed.

THIS. 

The sad part is that this rumor could quite easily prove to be true. I'm guessing it's more or less unsubstantiated, but the three weeks of not a single iMac available for online purchase is strange. Something is happening behind the scenes, and someone is sitting in their corporate office sweating bullets, because this clearly did not go according to plan. 

• Reply 22 of 88
    Remember the white iphone that took something like an extra year to launch. AAPL isn't perfect, but that was a colossal delay.
  • Reply 23 of 88
    Apple did not have to announce the new macs... And they could have continued selling the old one.
    Once they announced... the old one was dead... And i seriously doubt that apple saw a chance that the new macs wont be ready for this year and yet went ahead and made an announcement and killed to potential of selling the older macs for. Full quarter.

Just does not add up.....
  • Reply 24 of 88
    I would have expected it now, at least a confirmed release date, Apple might loose sales if both aren't out by the first week of December.
  • Reply 25 of 88
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

The product delays are starting to become worrying. Tim Cook had built his reputation on supply chain management. Perhaps it's a case of Jony Ive going a little wild with design and making things that much more difficult to manufacturer. For sure, these things happened under Steve Jobs.That was actually the norm. Remember the iPad 2 launch and how long it took for supply to catch up with demand? However, since the iPhone 4S and 3rd gen iPad launches went very smoothly, expectations of improved supplies rose.

The iPhone 5 and new iMac are completely new designs, unlike the 4S and a lesser extent the 3rd gen iPad. Note that supplies of the 4th gen iPad are pretty healthy, probably because it is also a relatively minor design change.

• Reply 26 of 88
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

The new machines look nice, but they are sort of a 1.0 revision of this form factor....

This "rev 1.0" gets really old.  Technically, just about every product release that Apple makes is branded a "Rev1.0" by people.

New form factor?  Rev 1.0.

New CPU?  Rev 1.0

New GPU? Rev 1.0

Retina Display? Rev 1.0

Glass housing - Cracks / Aluminum Housing - Scratches?  Rev 1.0

But wait... Hold on!!  Apple makes (supposedly) minimal changes to a product and then people cry that it's a "minimal release" or "using old tech"?  

So which one is it?

• Reply 27 of 88
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

What section of the case is actually welded with the friction stir method?  All of the videos I saw demonstrating this process left a very ugly "scar" when the rotating tool was removed from the piece.  If the part being welded is visible to the customer then there is going to be a fair amount of manual grinding and surface treatment needed to result in a pleasing finish.

I mean, we know they aren't welding the case shut!   So what is it used for?

• Reply 28 of 88

I have a friend that works for an Apple Reseller that has a very close relationship with Apple.  They were told to expect the 21" iMac the last week of November and the 27" iMac the first week of December.  You have to realize they want to hit the critical holiday buying season and too far into December people will have already chosen other options.

• Reply 29 of 88
    A delay may hurt the holiday numbers by a minimal amount.. But doubt anyone looking to by a new imac is going to buy some other brand.
  • Reply 30 of 88
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Another unfounded rumour.

Quel supris.

How easy is it to start one of these?

TIM COOK IS A MARTIAN (says unnamed source)
  • Reply 31 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

We'll see, but I smell bullshit on this one.

Likewise. All of these unsubstantiated rumors are piling up to crash Apple's stock. Good buyback opportunity for Apple, good for shorts, bad for AAPL for the short term.

• Reply 32 of 88

Well, I don't know what to make of this... You can't buy either model new online today, my local Apple Store has no stock of the current 27" model... Apple has done this before, announcing a new iMac with a future shipping date and not having sufficient stock of the existing model. I don't think they were as clear with the fact that they wouldn't have iMacs to sell as they were the previous fumbled transition...

This practice doesn't sit well with businesses. We need to buy a handful of machines before the end of the year and pay for them before December 31st. I'm buying refurbished current model iMacs right now, but there is no guarantee that stock of those won't disappear quickly... I'm hoping they'll ship on time, but not too trusting of it (it's mid-November and there is no REAL indication that the 21" is getting ready to ship).

• Reply 33 of 88
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

The rumor is certainly possible. Apple takes big risks with new manufacturing processes that would scare any other electronics company to death. Usually they win the gamble and profit big: they’re good at this! But you can’t win them all. I can easily believe that once in a while an exotic manufacturing/design choice will result in expensive and frustrating delays on a large scale. If so, Apple will survive it... but I’d hate to be someone who needs a desktop NOW! MacBook + Dell display is sounding tempting...

• Reply 34 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by wvmb99 View Post

I just spoke to an Apple store rep 20 minutes ago, and she claimed they've been told to expect the 21.5" any day now. Lets hope she was right...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Noooooooo

I'm sure she was being honest in that she is expecting them any day now, but historically those that read tech forums will know well before Apple Store employees about most things Apple.

She would lose her friggin' job if she said anything other then what Apple has published. She could know more, but if it ain't Apple's party line she can't pass it on.

• Reply 35 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

What section of the case is actually welded with the friction stir method?  All of the videos I saw demonstrating this process left a very ugly "scar" when the rotating tool was removed from the piece.  If the part being welded is visible to the customer then there is going to be a fair amount of manual grinding and surface treatment needed to result in a pleasing finish.

I mean, we know they aren't welding the case shut!   So what is it used for?

Not sure what video you are referring to but they are welding the front of the case to the rear of the case leaving a 5mm knife-edge solid-looking edge around the perimeter of the iMac case. The smaller iMac will be welded shut, not so with the 27" iMac.

• Reply 36 of 88

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

I would have expected it now, at least a confirmed release date, Apple might loose sales if both aren't out by the first week of December.

They're losing sales now, since they're not selling one.

• Reply 37 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Quel supris.

That's not a rumor. Tim actually is a Martian.

• Reply 38 of 88
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Remember the white iphone that took something like an extra year to launch. AAPL isn't perfect, but that was a colossal delay.

I would rather Apple delay a product and try to get it as close to perfect as reasonably possible.  The problem with the light bleeding through the white paint around the camera would have sent the iHaters, trolls, and whiners into a frenzy.  I'm glad Apple delayed it.  Name one competitor that would do that?

Thanks to Apple, they did all the research on it so the Samsungs of the world can use the same paint process too.

• Reply 39 of 88
    FRom Apple Wevb site &:34 PM EST: "21.5-inch starting at $1299. Coming in November.27-inch starting at $1799. Coming in December".

The Web staff doesn't seem to have this info. Seems like FUD until its offical
  • Reply 40 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Quel supris.

Has anyone seen his birth certificate?  Maybe he was born in Kenya!