$1.5M in iPad minis stolen from JFK airport in 'GoodFellas' style heist

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

That was Brando

True but he was also correct.  DeNiro says it in Raging Bull as he's quoting the scene Brando did from On the Waterfront.

This was DeNiro's finest acting IMO.  Great movie... really felt sad for that Jake LaMotta.. couldn't get out of his own way.

• Reply 42 of 79
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have a Chinese friend whose father, a prominent professor and author, was executed in China many years ago. To add insult to injury, the next day, government agents showed up at the family residence and demanded payment for the bullet used in the execution.

What? Well, unless it was made of silver (out of necessity).

No it was like 5 cents. It was just an insult.

• Reply 43 of 79
    sipsip Posts: 210member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Side note: if anyone hasn't seen Goodfellas... Its a top 10 guy movie of all time.

It's Number 15 at IMDB (which doesn't take into account guy-ness).

• Reply 44 of 79
    I suspect these will wind up in china or southeast asia where they will bring in more than $1.5 Million.  Apple has employees on the ground watching all of it's supplies like this.  The shipping to China is so cheap now that it is probably cheaper and safer to let them get shipped here and send them back than it would be to steal it in China where you would face the death penalty or worse.

I think they'll probably go to Russia, Eastern Europe or South America.
  • Reply 45 of 79

Forget about when will we find a bunch of Minis on Craig's List.  When will we find a bunch of guys in freezer trucks and behind the wheel of a new Caddy?

• Reply 46 of 79

In related news, exactly no Microsoft Surface tablets have been stolen since the device was released.  Microsoft is reported to be considering offering would-be thieves a free Microsoft Zune and a free Microsoft Kin in exchange for stealing a Microsoft Surface tablet, but so far the Redmond giant has been unable to attract any criminals to their new device.

• Reply 47 of 79
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    rob55 wrote: »
    But you still have to connect it to iTunes, no? And if you plan on using any apps on it, I imagine that the serial # will be transmitted to Apple. At least that's how I thought it worked. Never paid it much mind to be honest.

You've never heard of jailbroken phones and tablets?

It's possible to use one of these without ever connecting to Apple's servers.
  • Reply 48 of 79

Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

In related news, exactly no Microsoft Surface tablets have been stolen since the device was released.  Microsoft is reported to be considering offering would-be thieves a free Microsoft Zune and a free Microsoft Kin in exchange for stealing a Microsoft Surface tablet, but so far the Redmond giant has been unable to attract any criminals to their new device.

"Barely 48 hours after this offer, employees at Microsoft headquarters were baffled by the sudden appearance of ten shipping crates in the parking lot at Redmond. When opened, the crates contained thousands of Microsoft Surface tablets. The serial numbers on these tablets were not slated to be used for years.

It seems that criminals have responded so poorly to the launch of the Surface that they have somehow manufactured extra tablets and returned them TO Microsoft."

• Reply 49 of 79
    Someone or group of guys got desperate and need to get money for Hurricane/ Super storm Sandy Damage?
  • Reply 50 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

What? Well, unless it was made of silver (out of necessity).

The policy of charging the family for the bullet used to execute an "enemy of the state" was adopted by the Chinese from Soviet practice.

The Nazis may have done the same, but I'm not positive I recall that correctly.

• Reply 51 of 79
    Apple will NOT block/deactivate the minis. And whoever buys them will have no issues getting it to work. Apple does not implement a system to recover the devices after they have been sold to potential buyers. Their security infrastructure is depends on theft prevention. After that, its up to 3rd party/contracted security to recover the items before sold. This used to be a part of Tim Cook's responsibility before assuming CEO.
  • Reply 52 of 79
    Is it already on sale? 

I suppose that question answers more than it asks, huh. :lol:
    You wouldn't happen to know where the sale will be? Back ally or China?
  • Reply 53 of 79
    LOL at pic. "Based on a true story."
  • Reply 54 of 79

Does this mean that Scorsese will not be invited to appear in another commercial for Apple?

• Reply 55 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I coulda been somebody...instead of a bum.

... which is what I am, let's face it.

• Reply 56 of 79
    Insurance write-off for the shipping company that lost them. I'd rather they do this than rob iPad owners at gunpoint.
  • Reply 57 of 79
    Oh well, consider the stolen units as "Sold" to the insurance company of the transport company.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 58 of 79
    Selling them domestically would leave to many trails pointing back to the thieves. I would imagine they'll be reboxed and sold overseas where then they'd be sold globally, including back into the US through ebay like outlets.
  • Reply 59 of 79
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Details of the valuable heist were revealed on Thursday by the New York Post. About 3,600 iPad minis that had just arrived from China were taken from one of the airport's cargo buildings.

Apple knows all 3,600 IMEI / MEID numbers of the stolen minis (if they were LTE models.)  Thus, they could blacklist them and prevent them from working on any carrier's network.

But not before they are set into Lost Mode by the Find my iPad feature of iOS 6.  In Lost Mode, the rightful owner of each stolen iPad mini can set its passcode remotely.  Or, in this case, Apple can set the passcode remotely.  Soon after the stolen minis are turned on, they'll become unusable.

(And the thought of a low-speed forklift chase, through an airport, just seems so weird.)

• Reply 60 of 79
    There's a Kindle Fire on the left, a Nexus on the right & an iPad Mini in the middle sayin' "Whaddaya want from me?"