Apple's iPhone, iPad mini sales even stronger than expected - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinder6 View Post

I had decided not to buy an iPad mini both because it was >$300 and had no Retina display.  However, after seeing one in person, I've revised that decision and will be buying one on Tuesday--if I can find one!  Now I just have to decide between black or white and 16GB or 32GB...

The non-retina display on the mini is such a non-issue.  It's good to hear that you too realized that.  I'll bet money that if/when the mini has a retina display and Apple manages to keep it as thin and light as the current one, be sure the iHaters will then use the  "See!! Apple realized their 1st-gen mini was flawed" argument.  Anything to keep their pathetic lives going when they're too embarrassed to get out of their parents' basement.

• Reply 22 of 66

If this mini is as successful as this analyst says it is, it could potentially, over time, become Apple's biggest selling device, even bigger than the iPhone.

• Reply 23 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If this mini is as successful as this analyst says it is, it could potentially, over time, become Apple's biggest selling device, even bigger than the iPhone.

Everyone needs a phone.
  • Reply 24 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

As far as manipulating the stock.....that's already happening, Down another $11 today. PE at just under 12 when google is at 20, Microsoft is at 14 and Amazon is at 2,626! Ridiculous.

My cash has all been put to work.

Speaking just for myself, I view this as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, given my horizon, my DCF analysis, my beliefs about Apple's growth opportunities, and my patience (since I don't need the cash for quite a while yet.)

• Reply 25 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

As far as manipulating the stock.....that's already happening, Down another $11 today. PE at just under 12 when google is at 20, Microsoft is at 14 and Amazon is at 2,626! Ridiculous.

Google's turn is coming. I expect a 20% drop over the next 6 months.

• Reply 26 of 66
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

I was thinking that one can use an LTE mini instead of a smartphone.  You pay the same $30/month to ATT for 3GB.  You can talk with a feature phone while using the mini at the same time much more conveniently. 

• Reply 27 of 66
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

My cash has all been put to work.

Speaking just for myself, I view this as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, given my horizon, my DCF analysis, my beliefs about Apple's growth opportunities, and my patience (since I don't need the cash for quite a while yet.)

Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity of buying AAPL is back in 2003.

• Reply 28 of 66
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Everyone needs a phone.

If they put a phone functionality in the iPad mini I would chuck my iPhone 5 tomorrow morning and just use the mini.  I'm sure a few hundred thousand other folks would too, if not millions.  

Given that you can kind of do this now in a half-assed way with Skype, it will certainly happen eventually. 

• Reply 29 of 66
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    I expect the next blowout quarter to be met with more pummelling of the stock. Because you know, it's Apple.

But seriously, I bought @ 650 and am gonna hold. I think the situation will be much improved a couple months from now, when we're past the fiscal cliff nonsense, the Surface/Windows 8 have proven to be failure, Apple announced mind-blowing sales numbers, and possibly announcement of a TV of some kind.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Good. Maybe my leaps will break even someday.   I don't think the problem with the stock is news or how Apple is doing.  Its overweight by too many funds are they are running to the exits. No amount of news is going to do anything until the index funds are hedge funds are balance. At some point the tax selling will stop because there just won't be any more profit to take.

• Reply 31 of 66
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I find the mini to be an amazing product. Much better than the original iPad. It hardly seems to me that they are even related to each other given that the experience is so different, and so much better on the mini.
    Anyone who disses the mini has no idea what they are talking about IMO.
    So you're saying the iPad sucks? ;)
  • Reply 32 of 66
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Google's turn is coming. I expect a 20% drop over the next 6 months.
    When is Amazon's turn coming. If ever there was an overvalued stock it's Amazon.
  • Reply 33 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I expect the next blowout quarter to be met with more pummelling of the stock. Because you know, it's Apple.

But seriously, I bought @ 650 and am gonna hold. I think the situation will be much improved a couple months from now, when we're past the fiscal cliff nonsense, the Surface/Windows 8 have proven to be failure, Apple announced mind-blowing sales numbers, and possibly announcement of a TV of some kind.

You are obviously worried, don't be.

If you invested while using your brain (you used money you had that wasn't needed right now) don't worry. Apple is making tons of money, have low market shares, selling as much as they can of every product (even software and music), ramping up productions... it can only go up.

• Reply 34 of 66
    I have had an iPad mini since day 1. I really like the form factor, build quality, thinness, and weight. But, I do miss a retina display. I find myself gravitating back to my iPad 3rd Gen for any significant reading. The more I read, the more noticeable it is. I will be ordering the retina mini at 12:01 AM as soon as it is available. I doubt I will be buying a new 9.7 inch iPad, however, unless they pull off some weight and thinness magic for that form factor, ...which is entirely possible.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    Open question to anyone who's used both an iPad Mini and a B&N Nook (2nd generation skinny one.)

My wife had a Nook and returned it, not liking how skinny the pages were displayed while reading a book. The ebook reader didn't have the option of displaying two pages like iBooks does when in landscape mode. Does the Mini do a better job of displaying book pages? Does the reduced screen area preclude reading two pages in landscape?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. We're not within decent driving distance to an Apple store, so no easy way of getting a firsthand look for a while.

Thanks in advance!
  • Reply 36 of 66
    Open question to anyone who's used both an iPad Mini and a B&N Nook (2nd generation skinny one.)

My wife had a Nook and returned it, not liking how skinny the pages were displayed while reading a book. The ebook reader didn't have the option of displaying two pages like iBooks does when in landscape mode. Does the Mini do a better job of displaying book pages? Does the reduced screen area preclude reading two pages in landscape?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. We're not within decent driving distance to an Apple store, so no easy way of getting a firsthand look for a while.

Thanks in advance!
  • Reply 37 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Hang onto it. It'll hit way past 800, and even approach $1000 in less than 2 years. 

Apple has some serious goodies in the works. 

• Reply 38 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

If they put a phone functionality in the iPad mini I would chuck my iPhone 5 tomorrow morning and just use the mini.  I'm sure a few hundred thousand other folks would too, if not millions.  

Given that you can kind of do this now in a half-assed way with Skype, it will certainly happen eventually. 

We've all seen how ridiculous Samsung Galaxy Note users look using it as a phone.  Can you imagine how incredibly ridiculous ipad mini with phone capabilities would look.  the Note aside, I think the GS3 looks dumb as well so you can imagine my view on your idea.  I highly doubt millions would want to use in such a way.  I know your going to bring up headphones but most people don't walk around with headphones in ear all day ready to receive calls so its not practical.  Just my opinion.

• Reply 39 of 66

I bought at 608 2 weeks ago and again today at 527.  In past years I had been buying all the way up from 96 to 350.  For the investor with a 2+ year horizon and the 2% dividend, what's not to like?  

• Reply 40 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherrypop View Post

*Update: I wanted to add a link to this article, that suggests that 1/3 of PC users faced with the question of whether or not they'll upgrade to Windows 8 say they're going to switch to Mac.

The section of the poll that asked if PC users were interested in upgrading to Windows 8 indeed had a very low number. That was separate from the question about whether they were planning to get a new computer.

It didn't say nearly one third of respondents were planning on getting an Apple product. Only sixteen percent of the people in the poll said they were planning to buy a new computer, of that sixteen percent, thirty percent said they wanted an iPad and twelve percent wanted a Mac. That is not quite seven percent of the poll respondents saying they were going to buy an Apple product.