Google reportedly distributing near-final version of standalone iOS Maps app

Comments

• Reply 21 of 96
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    So now Google offer turn by turn navigation, for free. Until Apple came out with their own App, Google had been steadfastly refusing to offer that choice. Now only a couple months since Apple's App came out, they have the feature almost ready to go.

Real slimy move there, Google.
  • Reply 22 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Agree 100%

I get a sick feeling every time I look at the Maps icon...

This has to be the funniest thing I've read in a long time.  I mean, seeing homeless people makes me sick with sadness, seeing people living in squalor, reading about pedophiles and watching FOX News makes me sick.  But looking at an icon on the iPhone?  Dude, get a life, either that or get an Android phone.

• Reply 23 of 96
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Still no comment on the APPL fire sale today?

So the general decline of the stock market after Obama's reelection has nothing to do with it? And after reading quite a few of your past posts it's very clear what you are here for. You never have anything good to say about Apple, ever. Most of your posts are snarky put downs and backhanded slaps at Apple and its users. Makes one wonder what you are doing on an Apple fan site anyway. Why do the Apple haters feel compelled to join Apple fan sites and post bile and vitriol?

• Reply 24 of 96

In Canada where I live, iOS maps has worked perfect

• Reply 25 of 96

If Google Maps does become available as a dedicated app, is there a way to make it the default app?  I'm not aware of such functionality, which would limit the benefit to those that prefer Google maps.  I'm mainly thinking of when you select an address in another app and it redirects you to the dedicated mapping app.

• Reply 26 of 96
    Ho hum....nothing to see here.....move along......
  • Reply 27 of 96
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    psych_guy wrote: »
    This has to be the funniest thing I've read in a long time.  I mean, seeing homeless people makes me sick with sadness, seeing people living in squalor, reading about pedophiles and watching FOX News makes me sick.  But looking at an icon on the iPhone?  Dude, get a life, either that or get an Android phone.

Dude - take a chill-pill! I can almost hear the violin music playing in the background :p

I think you took my comment too seriously. I'm an Apple fan like most people here - but I stand by my opinion that Apple royally screwed up on the Maps App...

Anyway, Steve wouldn't have liked the icon design... ;)

:D
  • Reply 28 of 96
    gazoobee,

Yes, but China is a huge place, with a lot of people, and apparently ios Maps works better there than Google Maps.

If I was a manufacturer and had to choose between Europe (or more specifically the UK where most problems have been reported) and China and US I think the answer would be clear.
  • Reply 29 of 96
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    moxom wrote: »
    psych_guy wrote: »

Dude - take a chill-pill! I can almost hear the violin music playing in the background :p

I think you took my comment too seriously. I'm an Apple fan like most people here - but I stand by my opinion that Apple royally screwed up on the Maps App...

Anyway, Steve wouldn't have liked the icon design... ;)

:D

I must say that the iOS6 Maps icon makes me twitch whenever I see it shown on the web (I'm waiting for the cellular data bleed issue to settle down before I install 6, so I don't have the new Maps app on my iPhone yet). The icon just looks sloppy, as though whover redesigned it didn't think about what they were doing. The cynical might say that they did, of course.
  • Reply 30 of 96
    who in all of fuckdom actually wants "street view" on their phone? "Uh, NOT ME," said the pimp. I can get much better imagery with less washout and glare by pointing my instamatic directly at the sun, thanks.

Street View has sucked since its inception, and frankly, Apple's 3d flyover stomps a brand new mudhole in the middle of its ass.

I would rather go back to the yellow pages at a gas station than deal with fucking streetview again. NO. THANK. YOU.

Apple 3D maps, for the win, there is no debate.
  • Reply 31 of 96
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    echosonic wrote: »
    who in all of fuckdom actually wants "street view" on their phone? "Uh, NOT ME," said the pimp. I can get much better imagery with less washout and glare by pointing my instamatic directly at the sun, thanks.
    Street View has sucked since its inception, and frankly, Apple's 3d flyover stomps a brand new mudhole in the middle of its ass.
    I would rather go back to the yellow pages at a gas station than deal with fucking streetview again. NO. THANK. YOU.
    Apple 3D maps, for the win, there is no debate.

I want Street View for the very obvious reason it was created... to get a street level view of locations. 3D Maps are neither well covered or accurate enough to be useful in the way Street View is.
  • Reply 32 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is it precisely.  However, most of the world is "outside of the USA."  Heck, most of North America is "outside of the USA."  The USA is actually a small place. 

America is the third largest country in the world so obviously it isn't a small part of the continent or the world. It is also the largest market for such services. The EU doesn't count as a market as it is not a country. 

No one has suggested that most of the world is not outside of America.

• Reply 33 of 96
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by moooooser View Post

If Google Maps does become available as a dedicated app, is there a way to make it the default app?  I'm not aware of such functionality, which would limit the benefit to those that prefer Google maps.  I'm mainly thinking of when you select an address in another app and it redirects you to the dedicated mapping app.

Sorry no. The maps API always points to Apple maps. If you want maps inside your app you have to use MapKit which leverages Apple maps as the resource. Of course you can always point to a url and I would not be surprised at all if Google isn't trying register a known file extension, for example something like .gmap which if approved could open the Google maps app with parameters, but I highly doubt Apple is going to let you select your mapping solution like they allow you select a search engine default without governmental intervention.

• Reply 34 of 96
    It's so infuriatingly useless.

Many folks said the same thing about Google Maps when it was less than a year old and we didn't 'need' it cause there was mapquest.
  • Reply 35 of 96
    not saying people in other parts of the world are not important That's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying that maps works fine in the US. We respect and love everyone all over the world.
  • Reply 36 of 96
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

For driving, the Apple maps have been great. But when I'm in NYC, as I am most of the time, I need transit directions. Other apps have attempted to step in, but it's a bit of an annoyance. I'll also be very psyched if the new app has biking directions as Gmaps web and Android have had for awhile.

I understand that most places in the US, transit and biking aren't priorities, so I don't fault Apple for the calculated move. But still, I'd love an app that had both. 

• Reply 37 of 96

If you live in a major city and use public transportation like the subway, the apple map sucks.  The best part of google maps was getting directions with the subway, especially in a city like NYC where you can't remember every subway route.

I was in DC last week (a city that I don't know well), and it was real frustrating not having subway system embedded into the map.  Whereas with google maps, I was used to getting around the city with different options depending on subway, walking, etc....

• Reply 38 of 96
    personally, the disconnection of public transit directions to other apps is neck snapping

I feel the opposite. Googles transit info for me was a waste. Always out of date etc. I'd rather go to another app or site that has correct info.
  • Reply 39 of 96
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

I dont know what all the fuss is about... Never had a problem with it... I think the people having problems with it are folks outside the US... I'm just saying.  

Excuse me?

• Reply 40 of 96
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Registered View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is it precisely.  However, most of the world is "outside of the USA."  Heck, most of North America is "outside of the USA."  The USA is actually a small place. 

America is the third largest country in the world so obviously it isn't a small part of the continent or the world. It is also the largest market for such services. The EU doesn't count as a market as it is not a country. 

No one has suggested that most of the world is not outside of America.

Most of Canada is uninhabited, I just mapped the entire country for our sales rep locator app when I converted it from flash to HTML5. I had to outline every single island in the arctic where nobody except maybe Eskimos live just to be politically correct. I know Gazoobee hails from those parts north but really, US is a small market, really? As much as like the Canadians and Mexicans, they don't buy very much of our scientific products. Nevertheless we translate everything into Spanish and French just in case they want to find out more information on our offerings. Of course in Canada it is mandated that if we advertise in English we also have to provide product literature in French.