Steve Ballmer hints Microsoft plans to build more hardware

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Ooh, Ooh, I want one, no make it two!

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 42 of 62

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Ooh, Ooh, I want one, no make it two!

They also have this one, which I guess is newer.

• Reply 43 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

http://youtu.be/wvsboPUjrGc

Steve Bomber, I have one word for you: "Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers! Developers!Developers!"

Did I say "Developers!"?

• Reply 44 of 62
    anonymouse wrote: »
    What the hell is that even supposed to mean? The "scene between hardware and software"? Scene?

It's like gooey nacho cheese ware. Not quite hard, not quite soft: something in between.
  • Reply 45 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Balmer speaks in that empty, baffle-gab, business-speak, buzz-word style.  

It is rare to find a single sentence from an interview with him that actually makes grammatical or logical sense.  

He is also the King of BS.  

Sometimes he does makes sense, as in: "Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! 

Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! 

Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers! "

Did I say "Developers!"?

Pure entertainment value!

• Reply 46 of 62
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Mommy!  Make it stop!

Nokia probably isn't terribly thrilled to hear that Microsoft just might be planning to build their own smartphone.  Unless, of course, those plans involve purchasing Nokia outright.  That would give job security (for a few more years anyway) to the former Nokia employees left after the acquisition.

But what, exactly, does Ballmer think is the magical mystery ingredient for smartphone success?  Does he seriously think that slapping the Microsoft brand on a phone will push it over the hump, in terms of sales?  Does he think the Nokia brand is perceived by consumers as the brand of losers?  And if he does stab Nokia in the back (the way he stabbed all the PlaysForSure partners in the back when Microsoft launched Zune), who would ever want to sign a hardware partnership deal with Microsoft ever again?

I think Microsoft's board said: "Steve, the Lumias aren't selling.  Do something or you're out."

And I think Ballmer's response was "Trust me.  I have a plan.  This time it will work."

And I think that plan is to just keep on flailing, re-branding or discarding failed projects, and firing direct reports (Sinofsky.)

I wonder how much longer Ballmer can keep his head out of the noose.  Who else can he blame now?  Who's left?

• Reply 47 of 62
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Sure, why not pile on the fail. Just make more of slow, kludgey, and expensive, running bad software (Surface.)

I see you are quoting HP exec. Your new idols?
  • Reply 48 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's like gooey nacho cheese ware. Not quite hard, not quite soft: something in between.

You don't mean "firm" ware, do you?

• Reply 49 of 62

MS cannot buy the expertise to build their own platforms. The hardware OEMS are not innovative, so there is no one to buy, or to hire. MS will have to develop an entire industry on their own to compete with Apple. MS framework is low cost not high quality (or quality people would be willing to shell out big bucks for). MS is still "Windows Everywhere" so any product they build will be designed to sell Windows and have no other redeeming value. 

That is MS's mode of operation, it is in their DNA. The Surface and Windows 8 really do show the weakness of the vision within MS. MS has only two products: Windows and Office, and everything must exist to maintain that revenue stream. 

• Reply 50 of 62
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    If they think that the lack of success of WP8 is because of bad hardware, then they'll be trying to solve the wrong problem.
    As yet, the OS hasn't proven to be a big draw, its UI is a derivative of the Zune HD, I don't think it really helped.
    It seems to be mostly that their brand is damaged, and that's harder to fix than building your own hardware. I don't think competing against your own OEM customers is a good idea.

UI derivative didn't hurt either. How many people really knew of Zune HD, least tried it? For majority of potential buyers, UI is as fresh as it gets.

I don't think it is matter of brand damage either. Android built fine brand recognition with phones, and yet we see only nowadays that their tablets are starting to gain some ground. It is simple fact of being 3rd to enter market where one brand already dominates, while the other is catching up... and both have good products out there.

For MS, I think it will be matter of patience, willingness to keep investing without immediate return - something they showed to be capable of with Xbox - and keeping OEMs interested in every possible way - if need be, giving W8 licenses to OEMs for free. According to trustworthy sources (like Anandtech), experience with W8 is great on tablets, and performance is fine for the hardware it runs on. That is as much as you can hope for from first generation product. What they need now is market presence, and having as many different devices on shelves as they can get is, much as I see it, of absolute importance for them.

Re Surface phone. I don't think it's existence will hurt Nokia, or anyone else. First of, phone will be branded Microsoft phone (or Surface phone), but will be made by one of existing OEMs, and I'd say most likely Nokia themselves. In addition, it is likely to sell online and in MS shops, giving it very limited presence. I'm also expecting it to sell contract free, which also doesn't work against OEM who will mostly sell on contract, through networks.

I think it will mostly have psychological importance - basically standard setting, and mild warning to OEMs that, if they don't want to embrace platform seriously, MS can do that themselves. Number of OEMs - Samsung included, I think - would be happy to see WP8 fade away and leave market to iOS and Android. But if MS manages to persuade them WP8 is here to stay, some of them at least will find it better to get in the program than risk to lose some of their marketshare to MS's own efforts.
  • Reply 51 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    nikon133 wrote: »
    UI derivative didn't hurt either. How many people really knew of Zune HD, least tried it? For majority of potential buyers, UI is as fresh as it gets.
    I don't think it is matter of brand damage either. Android built fine brand recognition with phones, and yet we see only nowadays that their tablets are starting to gain some ground. It is simple fact of being 3rd to enter market where one brand already dominates, while the other is catching up... and both have good products out there.
    For MS, I think it will be matter of patience, willingness to keep investing without immediate return - something they showed to be capable of with Xbox - and keeping OEMs interested in every possible way - if need be, giving W8 licenses to OEMs for free. According to trustworthy sources (like Anandtech), experience with W8 is great on tablets, and performance is fine for the hardware it runs on. That is as much as you can hope for from first generation product. What they need now is market presence, and having as many different devices on shelves as they can get is, much as I see it, of absolute importance for them.
    Re Surface phone. I don't think it's existence will hurt Nokia, or anyone else. First of, phone will be branded Microsoft phone (or Surface phone), but will be made by one of existing OEMs, and I'd say most likely Nokia themselves. In addition, it is likely to sell online and in MS shops, giving it very limited presence. I'm also expecting it to sell contract free, which also doesn't work against OEM who will mostly sell on contract, through networks.
    I think it will mostly have psychological importance - basically standard setting, and mild warning to OEMs that, if they don't want to embrace platform seriously, MS can do that themselves.

I don't buy it. Lumina 9x0 has been around for half a year, and they have been marketing it pretty well. The hardware hasn't been giving people problems, it rated very strongly last I checked. Exactly where will MS do it better?
  • Reply 52 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Sometimes floppy.

• Reply 53 of 62

Microsoft's main problem is the management is ran by too many ivy league people and their strategies are just too predictable. 

If you are going to make a huge splash in the mobile scene you had better bring something else or better than what already exist. 

There's nothing that Microsoft releases today that really gives consumer the impression that Microsoft is the forefront in technology.

• Reply 54 of 62
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Mommy!  Make it stop!

Nokia probably isn't terribly thrilled to hear that Microsoft just might be planning to build their own smartphone.  Unless, of course, those plans involve purchasing Nokia outright.  That would give job security (for a few more years anyway) to the former Nokia employees left after the acquisition.

But what, exactly, does Ballmer think is the magical mystery ingredient for smartphone success?  Does he seriously think that slapping the Microsoft brand on a phone will push it over the hump, in terms of sales?  Does he think the Nokia brand is perceived by consumers as the brand of losers?  And if he does stab Nokia in the back (the way he stabbed all the PlaysForSure partners in the back when Microsoft launched Zune), who would ever want to sign a hardware partnership deal with Microsoft ever again?

I think Microsoft's board said: "Steve, the Lumias aren't selling.  Do something or you're out."

And I think Ballmer's response was "Trust me.  I have a plan.  This time it will work."

And I think that plan is to just keep on flailing, re-branding or discarding failed projects, and firing direct reports (Sinofsky.)
    I wonder how much longer Ballmer can keep his head out of the noose.  Who else can he blame now?  Who's left?

Dude, Balmer sounds a lot like Romney.
  • Reply 55 of 62
    igriv wrote: »

Really? -_-

think more abstractly damn.
  • Reply 56 of 62
    Microsoft Phone: Press Ctrl Alt Delete to start it up. Oops, no Alt button, no Ctrl button ... the phone that never starts ;)
  • Reply 57 of 62

That's great looks. I like to have this.

day out near delhi

• Reply 58 of 62
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

As the CEO don't you think he should know not believe, Either how know or does not know, obviously he had no clue or no faith in what his engineers are doing. He has no balls, either come out and say M$ is going to screw the partners or not. 

The problem is that Ballmer is not sure what to do next. He's been throwing money at various ideas and markets for years, and very little of it has returned anything of note. 

But by following Apple's strategy, Ballmer is so close to the answer it almost hurts. Hardware? Check. Shops? Check.

He needs to go all out. Copy the Apple story to the letter.

Bring back Gates as an advisor and let human nature and common sense take its course. Within a year, Ballmer will be out on his ear, Gates will be running the show, and Microsoft will have a fighting chance at relevance again.

• Reply 59 of 62

Windows 8 is the ugliest thing that has come out of Redmond since Windows 95. The windows 8 desktop OS is a joke. If you are looking for a sleek intuitive tablet OS, you will not find it in Windows 8, RT, Pro or whatever their trying to push out to their customers. You have to feel sorry for their customer base that has been eagerly waiting for years for their chance to own a windows branded tablet. When are the Pro slates coming out, you know the ones with the fans. Maybe you can bump them like a samsung cellphone and dissipate heat. But it has a cool stand and a cheaply made plastic keyboard. Really? So why not just buy a laptop?

Microsoft really needs to find some creative employees, before they go out of business like the twinkies company. 

• Reply 60 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

Really? -_-

think more abstractly damn.

Or maybe MS will split itself into three companies: Microsoft, Microhard, and Microfirm?!