where are the new iMacs?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

At work we need two new 21" iMacs.  We delayed the purchase slightly because the new models were being released.  It's almost 3 weeks now since they were announced and you still can't even preorder them anywhere, which is pretty surprising.  Has anyone heard anything other than "available in november"?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member

It's driving me crazy.  I'm trying to decide between the 21.5" and the 27" and I'd at least like to be able to configure options on them.  You can't even do that.

• Reply 2 of 17
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member

We are almost in the middle of November and still not a trace of new iMacs. Not even pre-order for the model supposed to ship in at most two weeks from now.

This is something unheard of and it shows loss of interest. The beginning of the end?

• Reply 3 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    It's an odd decision to halt sales of their bestselling desktop computer but I bet resellers are loving it.

I don't think they could have continued selling the old one after announcing a radical redesign but not offering a preorder is unusual.

Maybe they've learned from the rMBP that a preorder just creates a massive backlog.

As for the specific launch dates, if they are having yield issues, they might not even know when they can get things worked out. Launching the 21.5" a long time before the 27" could also drive a lot of sales to the lower models. The closer together they can launch them the better e.g 21.5" last week in November, 27" 1st week in December.

They certainly won't want to make the 27" available very close to Christmas so I expect both within 3 weeks.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Well it looks like [URL=http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/11/14/apple.previously.warned.that.units.would.see.significant.shortage/]Apple has really yield issues[/URL] with the new manufacturing technique. The rumor [URL=http://www.macbidouille.com/news/2012/11/14/apple-pas-d-imac-avant-la-fin-de-l-annee]comes from Macbidouille[/URL] claiming to have info from a commercial source. According to their source, the new iMacs might be not ready before the beginning of 2013.
  • Reply 5 of 17

Hope that rumor isn't true.

Any guesses (ballpark) for option costs?

1TB Fusion drive is $250...  I think the 3TB will be $360.

The 768 SSD will be pretty steep... Probably $850 or more.  (LaCie has a 1TB external for 999, 512 for $699)

The CPU upgrade will probably be $100 to $150.

16GB RAM will be $300 (same as for the Mac mini)

I'm thinking of a decked-out 27" (not completely tricked out, though).

$2800+  (3.4GHz, 2TB Fusion, 16GB RAM)

What do you think?  In the ballpark or way out there?

• Reply 6 of 17
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    alandail wrote: »
    At work we need two new 21" iMacs.  We delayed the purchase slightly because the new models were being released.  It's almost 3 weeks now since they were announced and you still can't even preorder them anywhere, which is pretty surprising.  Has anyone heard anything other than "available in november"?

Well, apparently they ~might~ be delayed. I wouldn't wait too long. Welcome to the new ~new~ Apple. *sigh* I'm not bashing Apple, I love Apple and own yada yada but...
    OMG I AM STARTING TO SOUND LIKE THOSE PEOPLE.
  • Reply 7 of 17

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

OMG I AM STARTING TO SOUND LIKE THOSE PEOPLE.

It's scary. We know that it has always been incorrect in the past, but we're actually, genuinely feeling it now. And we're unsure if it's just some personal emotional off-the-cuff bias or if it's a genuine state of being.

• Reply 8 of 17
    It's scary. We know that it has always been incorrect in the past, but we're actually, genuinely feeling it now. And we're unsure if it's just some personal emotional off-the-cuff bias or if it's a genuine state of being.

Dude. If you're feeling it too then I ~know for sure~ something's happening.

10 months ago you'd have torn me a new *** for saying "OMG Apple is Doomed" LOL.
  • Reply 9 of 17

Dude. If you're feeling it too then I ~know for sure~ something's happening.

Oh, you can't go by me. I'm a complete Apple fanboy, sure, but I'm also very flighty. Both help in most situations, but it takes longer for people to believe me because of it.

• Reply 10 of 17

You see, how long have you been following virtually everything coming out of Apple (and then some)... For me, it's almost about 10 years now solid (in the post-NEXT era).

So we're definitely sensing something.
  • Reply 11 of 17

So we're definitely sensing something.

Ah! But it could just as easily be old age and jadedness on our part! That's why we still need to be careful with it. 

• Reply 12 of 17
    Ah! But it could just as easily be old age and jadedness on our part! That's why we still need to be careful with it. 

Pfft. Old age and jadeness is for the young ones to worry about it. I for one look forward to my rocking chair and yelling at da kids in the street with their dubsteps and Beibers.

Back in my day, there was drum n' bass. No idea what dubstep is still.

On a more serious note, it did happen in the era of Steve Jobs. Except in a few months, sometimes years, or when the product came out, people complained, then Apple made some tweaks... then everything became perfect.

The real test is if Tim Cook can do this. IE. that "sharp left turn" Steve used to pull off.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member

The day after Thanksgiving and I STILL cannot order an iMac.  This is driving me f'n nuts.

• Reply 14 of 17
    flounder wrote: »
    The day after Thanksgiving and I STILL cannot order an iMac.  This is driving me f'n nuts.

It's bad. Real bad. STEEEEVEEEE arghghghh ... Recently I've found the number of dickheads in the "tech startup scene" is absolutely disturbing. No wonder Steve had that "abrasive" attitude. Most people had absolutely no clue about his awesomeness. Period.
  • Reply 15 of 17

As I desire the 27 I still have a short wait ahead, but since the 21s aren't ready for pre-order yet, the saving grace to me would be availability on Tuesday with tremendous stock.

Hope it's not wishful thinking...

- - - - - -

OK.

For everybody:   ARRRGGGGHHHH!!!  WHHHHHERRRRREEE ARRRRRE THE iMACCCCCSSSSS!?!?!?!?!?!?

- - - - -

Good morning everyone.  Hope you had a good Thanksgiving or are having a good weekend.  We now have less than a week remaing in the "available November" timeframe....

• Reply 16 of 17
    For everybody:   ARRRGGGGHHHH!!!  WHHHHHERRRRREEE ARRRRRE THE iMACCCCCSSSSS!?!?!?!?!?!?

Tell me about it.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    (oops... duplicate)