Apple's iPhone, iPad mini sales even stronger than expected - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Everyone needs a phone.

Sure, we all need phones.  And I've enjoyed my iPhone for the last three years.  But now that replacement time is here, I'm sick of the monthly bill.  I won't get a new iPhone, but I'll get myself an ultra-cheap feature phone plus an iPad, though I haven't decided which one yet.  I'll confess to being pretty smug about owning a few thousand shares of AAPL, but I still don't want to pay either ATT's or Virgin Mobile's monthly fees!

• Reply 42 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jivanile View Post

We've all seen how ridiculous Samsung Galaxy Note users look using it as a phone.  Can you imagine how incredibly ridiculous ipad mini with phone capabilities would look.  the Note aside, I think the GS3 looks dumb as well so you can imagine my view on your idea.  I highly doubt millions would want to use in such a way.  I know your going to bring up headphones but most people don't walk around with headphones in ear all day ready to receive calls so its not practical.  Just my opinion.

Use a bluetooth headset for cripes sake!!! When the device rings, you stick the headset in your ear and tap the button. Done!

• Reply 43 of 66

Quote:

We've all seen how ridiculous Samsung Galaxy Note users look using it as a phone.  Can you imagine how incredibly ridiculous ipad mini with phone capabilities would look.  the Note aside, I think the GS3 looks dumb as well so you can imagine my view on your idea.  I highly doubt millions would want to use in such a way.  I know your going to bring up headphones but most people don't walk around with headphones in ear all day ready to receive calls so its not practical.  Just my opinion.

Obviously if Apple put phone functionality in the mini, you would have a bluetooth headset.  But it's an option for those that would love that route. 

• Reply 44 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

The section of the poll that asked if PC users were interested in upgrading to Windows 8 indeed had a very low number. That was separate from the question about whether they were planning to get a new computer.

It didn't say nearly one third of respondents were planning on getting an Apple product. Only sixteen percent of the people in the poll said they were planning to buy a new computer, of that sixteen percent, thirty percent said they wanted an iPad and twelve percent wanted a Mac. That is not quite seven percent of the poll respondents saying they were going to buy an Apple product.

You need to take the 16% times the sum of 30% and 12% to get to 7% of respondents. 6.72% to be exact

• Reply 45 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

Sure, we all need phones.  And I've enjoyed my iPhone for the last three years.  But now that replacement time is here, I'm sick of the monthly bill.  I won't get a new iPhone, but I'll get myself an ultra-cheap feature phone plus an iPad, though I haven't decided which one yet.  I'll confess to being pretty smug about owning a few thousand shares of AAPL, but I still don't want to pay either ATT's or Virgin Mobile's monthly fees!

You and a couple of other posters know what I'm talking about.  Not everybody needs a phone, but everybody needs a way to communicate for work and personal.  If Apple plays this right, the iPad mini can be a phenomenal way to achieve that. 

• Reply 46 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Everyone needs a phone.

not necessarily true.  Everybody needs a way to communicate and stay in touch but nowhere is it written that going forward phones have to be the device to achieve that.

• Reply 47 of 66
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I find the mini to be an amazing product. Much better than the original iPad. It hardly seems to me that they are even related to each other given that the experience is so different, and so much better on the mini.

Anyone who disses the mini has no idea what they are talking about IMO.

Tried a Mini out for the first time yesterday and was pleased with the display and camera (in-store, medium lighting), considering less than flattering reports I'd seen.

Intend to buy cell enabled one before too long.

• Reply 48 of 66
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Well it depends on your usage case doesn't it?  

There are lots of folks like me out there that get far more email and texts than they do old fashioned telephone calls. Your also assuming that the only way to answer a phone is to hold it up to the side of your head, when in fact that's only one way to do it.  There is also the possibility of time shifting the call, or in other words, not answering right away and then phoning back when it's convenient.  Just as people don't always answer texts or emails instantaneously, it's rarely necessary to automatically answer a phone call.  In fact, it's that very perception that leads a lot of people (like me), to hate getting phone calls in the first place.  

In my case, I get about one phone call a month so being able to ditch the iPhone and just use the mini would be infinitely preferable.  

I think that you (or people in general) need to expand their minds a bit and stop thinking about the phone in the same way that people used to in the 60's, 70's, 80's etc. Why do you need to be "ready to answer" (the phone) all day long in the first place?  Why does the conversation *have* to be private?  Why does it even have to be a phone call?  These are all just assumptions that have yet to be seriously challenged.  They may prove correct, but it's more than likely they are just "old thinking."

• Reply 49 of 66

Quote:

There are lots of folks like me out there that get far more email and texts than they do old fashioned telephone calls. Your also assuming that the only way to answer a phone is to hold it up to the side of your head, when in fact that's only one way to do it.  There is also the possibility of time shifting the call, or in other words, not answering right away and then phoning back when it's convenient.  Just as people don't always answer texts or emails instantaneously, it's rarely necessary to automatically answer a phone call.  In fact, it's that very perception that leads a lot of people (like me), to hate getting phone calls in the first place.  

In my case, I get about one phone call a month so being able to ditch the iPhone and just use the mini would be infinitely preferable.  

I think that you (or people in general) need to expand their minds a bit and stop thinking about the phone in the same way that people used to in the 60's, 70's, 80's etc. Why do you need to be "ready to answer" (the phone) all day long in the first place?  Why does the conversation *have* to be private?  Why does it even have to be a phone call?  These are all just assumptions that have yet to be seriously challenged.  They may prove correct, but it's more than likely they are just "old thinking."

+1

• Reply 50 of 66
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The Mini is a stroke of genius. 

It's mirroring the success of the iPod "family of products."

Setting the bar a bit low for a 'genius'.

I mean, it's a great product, and mine arrived yesterday. But, if you think that making a derivative product a bit smaller and more portable than the original is 'genius', then you're easily pleased.

• Reply 51 of 66

Quote:

You just haven't seen all those annoying tourists taking photos with their full-size iPads around NYC. 

• Reply 52 of 66
    There is no doubt that Apple will have its best ever xmas.

What I'm curious about is what Apple will do when it enters the hottest trend of the year, that being phablets.

Will they use tablet apps or phone apps?
    There is no dual marketplace on Android to have that dilemma.
  • Reply 53 of 66
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    There is no doubt that Apple will have its best ever xmas. What I'm curious about is what Apple will do when it enters the hottest trend of the year, that being phablets. Will they use tablet apps or phone apps? There is no dual marketplace on Android to have that dilemma.
    LOL
  • Reply 54 of 66

Quote:

No offense but that whole thing was ridiculous.  60's, 70's and 80's?  Do you remember those god awful times when everyone would answer all of their cell phone calls all the time.  I think that was back when Nokia and RIM ruled.  Ok I got the sarcasm out. 

So people need to expand their minds and stop answering calls?  You might as well ditch your iPhone now and get yourself a pager.  Speaking of "old thinking".  Anyway.  Who buys a phone just to get calls and not feel the need to answer it unless it's convenient, or for that matter pay between 80 to 120 dollars a month to use the phone one time per month on average.  I understand everyone screens some calls but God forbid it maybe someone making an urgent call but of course you couldn't be bothered.  I don't know about you but when I receive a phone call, I really don't know if the person on the other end might have something important to say, so yeah call me old fashioned but I tend to answer most calls when possible.  If you don't like privacy than just have conversations on facebook and twitter so everyone can read them.  Imagine your doctor telling you, you have gonorrhea on facebook.

If I may say something without offending you.  Your not philosophical.  You think you are but you aren't.  It's a f'n phone!  It still has the same basic principles as it did when it was first invented.  It's a means of communication between two parties over a line.  Maybe in your future phones will be used to get calls for the sole purpose of listening to a ringer but in everyone else's reality it's used for verbal communication.  There isn't a new way of thinking, just the same way of thinking.

Oh and about your bluetooth headset comment.  I still think most people would rather carry a smaller device a majority of the time rather a 7.9 inch screened tablet to double as a phone.  bluetooth headset or not, it's a small small percentage that would prefer your idea.  They are called Android fans who think it always has to get bigger.

I would love for apple to release the mini with phone capabilities just so one day on a hot summer day you can think back to this forum and see how impractical it is while having to lug around a huge device as a phone while wearing shorts and a T-shirt with no pockets big enough to carry it in.   I guess you can wear a man purse all day or carry around a bag pack for the rest of your life.  Yup, so a ipad mini, a bluetooth headset and man purse, that's so much better than a little wallet sized device that does everything you require of it.

• Reply 55 of 66

Quote:

Quote:

I'm in a similar situation. Actually I had some experience years ago with a couple of early Tablet machines. One from IBM and another from a company who'se name I forget, eGo or something like that. I DID like the stylus input and handwriting recognition. For some kinds of purposes it makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Back then (1998-99) the technology wasn't up to the job.

The thing that I like in general is that there's a growing range of choices to fit the individual requirements, financial possibilities and taste in both smartphones and tablets, and there's no end in sight. (notwithstanding patent wars and mutually assured destruction). I am curious about the Note 2 with the stylus as well. Haven't got a look at one yet, and I must admit that the size is somewhat intimidating for a phone. But that's not really what it is.

Fortunately I don't feel compelled to follow any particular manufacturer. For me its a question of what fits my current need and my current pocketbook best. Basically we're talking about toys at the high end, but at the low end it is the ability to participate.

One problem with Apple's "high price" policy is that it limits their maximum market to a relatively small and wealthy segment of the worldwide consumer base. The nice things about the cheap devices, which are almost exclusively android toys is that it does give people with less disposable income the chance to participate in a digital world when the premium devices are and will remain, out of their financial reach. That's something that seems to me to be a valuable contribution to society in general and in terms of my personal priorities more valuable than putting obscene wealth in the pockets of a few.

After all, not all of us want or can afford a rolex, but a swatch does just fine for telling the time. 

YMMD

• Reply 56 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

As far as manipulating the stock.....that's already happening, Down another $11 today. PE at just under 12 when google is at 20, Microsoft is at 14 and Amazon is at 2,626! Ridiculous.

Yep. I just watched a video at Yahoo! Finance… an article/video on the topic of "Can the Market Recover Without Apple?"

Two guys talking… At first, they start with asking if this "all important stock" can keep the market from recovering… then suddenly, they BOTH just start TRASHING Apple on their product mix, recent releases… suddenly it's "bad choices" releasing the iPad Mini, some passing (but not specified) mention of product categories that are failing… it was like this wild fantasy tale of how horribly Apple is behaving AND performing, and … suddenly I understood why the stock is dropping. 

People listen to these guys.

Parallel to that, another Yahoo!F headline saying "Apple dropping, no end in sight, heading below $500!" … what's driving this?

Ah… but then out on the sidelines, the whispers of "it might be oversold now, if it drops more it might be time to buy"… signals of the downward manipulation coming to an end, perhaps…?

• Reply 57 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinder6 View Post

I had decided not to buy an iPad mini both because it was >$300 and had no Retina display.  However, after seeing one in person, I've revised that decision and will be buying one on Tuesday--if I can find one!  Now I just have to decide between black or white and 16GB or 32GB...

If I were you…….. ;)

I hope they make a silver back/black face model, like the full size iPad… but in lieu of that, I'd probably opt for the black one. Not sure how well that anodized black shell is going to hold up, but it's nice looking.

I'd recommend going with the 32GB model. 16GB is just a TAD too slight… you'll be maxing it out too quickly. 64GB is way more than most people need, but 32GB is that 'just right' middle ground, in my view... 

• Reply 58 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I expect the next blowout quarter to be met with more pummelling of the stock. Because you know, it's Apple.

But seriously, I bought @ 650 and am gonna hold. I think the situation will be much improved a couple months from now, when we're past the fiscal cliff nonsense, the Surface/Windows 8 have proven to be failure, Apple announced mind-blowing sales numbers, and possibly announcement of a TV of some kind.

Yes. Just sit back, relax… Enjoy your dividends and watch. 6 months from now you'll be very glad you bought in when you did. This unexpected 'dip' notwithstanding. In fact, if you can, now would be a good time to buy more... Incrementally, until it bottoms out. I could see it dipping just below $500 (the analysts seem to have signaled that as the turning point). And then hold on to your hat...

The 'fiscal cliff' isn't slowing Apple down (when did the economic downturn ever really hurt them? It didn't. Just everyone else…).

In fact, the buzz I'm hearing is that they're killing their guidance numbers… way out in front of those…

Yes, hold onto that stock for sure.

• Reply 59 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

I'm in a similar situation. Actually I had some experience years ago with a couple of early Tablet machines. One from IBM and another from a company who'se name I forget, eGo or something like that. I DID like the stylus input and handwriting recognition. For some kinds of purposes it makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Back then (1998-99) the technology wasn't up to the job.

The thing that I like in general is that there's a growing range of choices to fit the individual requirements, financial possibilities and taste in both smartphones and tablets, and there's no end in sight. (notwithstanding patent wars and mutually assured destruction). I am curious about the Note 2 with the stylus as well. Haven't got a look at one yet, and I must admit that the size is somewhat intimidating for a phone. But that's not really what it is.

Fortunately I don't feel compelled to follow any particular manufacturer. For me its a question of what fits my current need and my current pocketbook best. Basically we're talking about toys at the high end, but at the low end it is the ability to participate.

One problem with Apple's "high price" policy is that it limits their maximum market to a relatively small and wealthy segment of the worldwide consumer base. The nice things about the cheap devices, which are almost exclusively android toys is that it does give people with less disposable income the chance to participate in a digital world when the premium devices are and will remain, out of their financial reach. That's something that seems to me to be a valuable contribution to society in general and in terms of my personal priorities more valuable than putting obscene wealth in the pockets of a few.

After all, not all of us want or can afford a rolex, but a swatch does just fine for telling the time. 

YMMD

While in some instances this may be true, often people in a low socioeconomic class make poor choices and buy whatever they want.  They get welfare and other government handouts but always have plenty of money for beer, cigarettes and other unnecessary items.

• Reply 60 of 66
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    gunslinger wrote: »

While in some instances this may be true, often people in a low socioeconomic class make poor choices and buy whatever they want.  They get welfare and other government handouts but always have plenty of money for beer, cigarettes and other unnecessary items.
    Exactly. Nobody NEEDS an iPad, or an iPhone. And to the extent a person can't afford a new Apple product, a used one often sells for much less than a new Android product, and works far better for much longer thanks to Apple's build quality and generous upgrade policies. In this case the trickle-down theory works pretty well ...