Google reportedly distributing near-final version of standalone iOS Maps app

Comments

• Reply 61 of 96
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsdofny View Post

I'll do the same...what can G-Map do that Apple Map cannot?  May be offline map.  I am not really expect it will be there.  So it better be a good one, otherwise, I am the one to kick if off my phone.

Street view

• Reply 62 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

who in all of fuckdom actually wants "street view" on their phone? "Uh, NOT ME," said the pimp. I can get much better imagery with less washout and glare by pointing my instamatic directly at the sun, thanks.

Street View has sucked since its inception, and frankly, Apple's 3d flyover stomps a brand new mudhole in the middle of its ass.

I would rather go back to the yellow pages at a gas station than deal with fucking streetview again. NO. THANK. YOU.

Apple 3D maps, for the win, there is no debate.

Can you tell me what is the color of the Apple logo at the entrance of the Apple campus?

With streetview it's easy.

• Reply 63 of 96
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Because iOS is nothing other than a mapping service, right?

I sympathise with your plight. However, your frustration is misdirected. Google bares sole responsibility for no longer having a mapping presence on iOS devices, and it occurred after considerable discussion with them which they ignored in order to one-up Apple:

http://allthingsd.com/20120926/apple-google-maps-talks-crashed-over-voice-guided-directions/?mod=tweet

"multiple sources familiar with Apple’s thinking say the company felt it had no choice but to replace Google Maps with its own, because of a disagreement over a key feature: Voice-guided turn-by-turn driving directions.

Spoken turn-by-turn navigation has been a free service offered through Google’s Android mobile OS for a few years now. But it was never part of the deal that brought Google’s Maps to iOS. And sources say Apple very much wanted it to be. Requiring iPhone users to look directly at handsets for directions and manually move through each step — while Android users enjoyed native voice-guided instructions — put Apple at a clear disadvantage in the mobile space. And having chosen Google as its original mapping partner, the iPhone maker was now in a position where an archrival was calling the shots on functionality important to the iOS maps feature set.

And this caused Apple — which typically enjoys very tight control over its products — no end of philosophical discomfort, sources say. Apple pushed Google hard to provide the data it needed to bring voice-guided navigation to iOS. But according to people familiar with Google’s thinking, the search giant, which had invested massive sums in creating that data and views it as a key feature of Android, wasn’t willing to simply hand it over to a competing platform."

Feel free to let Google know how irritated you are that they no longer felt obligated to support the devices that you purchased, and had to be replaced.

Now you know how the owner of a two year old Android handset feels.

imageYou forgot the next paragraph from your link:

And if there were terms under which it might have agreed to do so, Apple wasn’t offering them. Sources tell AllThingsD that Google, for example, wanted more say in the iOS maps feature set. It wasn’t happy simply providing back-end data. It asked for in-app branding. Apple declined. It suggested adding Google Latitude. Again, Apple declined.

Your link actually indicates both Apple and Google shared blame for failing to bring TBT via Google Maps to iOS users, not just Google as you'd apparently prefer to think.

• Reply 64 of 96

The apple map is terrible, slow and inaccurate. I never had any problems with google map, so I hope google maps come back

• Reply 65 of 96

Originally Posted by ecs View Post

That's not a really satisfactory alternative.

Sorry, the ability to go to Google Maps in your browser and not only see their entire mapping system but also STREET VIEW, which you couldn't before (and wouldn't be able to natively), is "not really satisfactory"? 

Want Tim Cook to lick your shoes clean, too? 

Originally Posted by steelraven View Post

…I hope google maps come back

It won't be. Stop this nonsense. maps.google.com

• Reply 66 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Want Tim Cook to lick your shoes clean, too? 

He's gay, not a submissive masochist. Don't mix sexual preferences up please ;)

• Reply 67 of 96
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    :???: You forgot the next paragraph from your link:

<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;line-height:24px;">And if there were terms under which it might have agreed to do so, Apple wasn’t offering them. Sources tell </span>
    <strong style="margin:0px;padding:0px;border:0px;font-size:16px;font:inherit;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Georgia, serif;line-height:24px;">AllThingsD</strong>
    <span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;line-height:24px;"> that Google, for example, wanted more say in the iOS maps feature set. It wasn’t happy simply providing back-end data. It asked for in-app branding. Apple declined. It suggested adding Google Latitude. Again, Apple declined.</span>

Your link actually indicates [SIZE=14px]both[/SIZE] Apple and Google shared blame for failing to bring TBT via Google Maps to iOS users, not just Google as you'd apparently prefer to think.

And I utterly support Apple for making that decision.

Let a company who has proven on multiple occasions that it is unable to be trusted by both business partners as well as it's own customers move beyond simply providing back-end data?

As Queen Victroria once said: "Fark that shit.".

I don't want Google on or anywhere near any of my devices, not even something as simple as in-app branding.

Thank you, Apple, for making that decision.

Thank you, Apple, for considering the customer first and;

Thank you, Apple, for your new mapping solution that, although it hasn't fallen from the heavens perfectly formed as we all know Google Maps did ;-) now gives Apple a greater degree of control over, not only the quality control of the app, but it's capabilities as well.

And if Google's not happy with that, feel free to duplicate the entire customer experience with it's own brand, instead trying to advertise itself on it's opponents systems.
  • Reply 68 of 96
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    Tim Cook apologized for the crap state of the mapping app..."I'm just saying"....
  • Reply 69 of 96

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Tim Cook apologized for the crap state of the mapping app..."I'm just saying"....

Never should have happened. But then again, Apple's all about appeasing the ludicrously infantile whining of the less than 1%… Just look at the lies in Antennagate!

• Reply 70 of 96
    Just by looking at this forum it's easy to see that it's much more than 1%.
  • Reply 71 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Never should have happened. But then again, Apple's all about appeasing the ludicrously infantile whining of the less than 1%… Just look at the lies in Antennagate!

TS, I find Cook's behavior way more mature than Steve's there.

Antennagate stemmed from a proven issue with (some? all?) handsets, at least up to some revision.

I HAVE A ANTENNA_GATE_RIDDLED iPhone 4. I love it so much that I don't use the Galaxy S3 I was given by the company, but it does require a case to work properly.

As a CEO, you recognize there is a issue, you solve the issue in your supply chain and you communicate about it. Ideally, you offer a gift-or-retake and see who brings his system back. I wouldn't have given my iPhone back, and indeed I didn't. But I had understood you had an Androidphone, so you wouldn't know about iPhone 4, would you?

• Reply 72 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

And I utterly support Apple for making that decision.

Let a company who has proven on multiple occasions that it is unable to be trusted by both business partners as well as it's own customers move beyond simply providing back-end data?

As Queen Victroria once said: "Fark that shit.".

I don't want Google on or anywhere near any of my devices, not even something as simple as in-app branding.

Thank you, Apple, for making that decision.

Thank you, Apple, for considering the customer first and;

Thank you, Apple, for your new mapping solution that, although it hasn't fallen from the heavens perfectly formed as we all know Google Maps did ;-) now gives Apple a greater degree of control over, not only the quality control of the app, but it's capabilities as well.

And if Google's not happy with that, feel free to duplicate the entire customer experience with it's own brand, instead trying to advertise itself on it's opponents systems.

As the Pope once said, "your narrow-minded-ness is tighter than a 12 year old Thai would-be prostitute".

• Reply 73 of 96

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Just by looking at this forum it's easy to see that it's much more than 1%.

No, if anything your use of the forum as "proof" only proves what I've said.

Originally Posted by light knight View Post

…proven… …(some? all?)…

????

• Reply 74 of 96
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    :???: You forgot the next paragraph from your link:

<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;line-height:24px;">And if there were terms under which it might have agreed to do so, Apple wasn’t offering them. Sources tell </span>
    <strong style="margin:0px;padding:0px;border:0px;font-size:16px;font:inherit;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Georgia, serif;line-height:24px;">AllThingsD</strong>
    <span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;line-height:24px;"> that Google, for example, wanted more say in the iOS maps feature set. It wasn’t happy simply providing back-end data. It asked for in-app branding. Apple declined. It suggested adding Google Latitude. Again, Apple declined.</span>

Your link actually indicates [SIZE=14px]both[/SIZE] Apple and Google shared blame for failing to bring TBT via Google Maps to iOS users, not just Google as you'd apparently prefer to think.

As GTR notes what Google asked for to get TbT doesn't put blame on Apple, but appreciation that they didn't take the easy way out and destroy the user experience by forcing ads and more of Google's data mining onto their devices without any way for users to say no. If you don't mind about getting something for "free" but at the cost of your personal data being mined then you are welcome to use whatever service Google offers, but you have to make that choice for that service, not a choice when you buy a specific piece of HW.

By no stretch is Apple's achievement in creating their own maps a small feat. Now I've been very hard on Apple since the first beta ( and have vilified on these forums for it). My underlying issue wasn't that it wasn't as complete as Google (which it couldn't possibly be) but because they over promised and under delivered and I predicted this would become an issue because of it.

I think if they were more accurate with their achievement and informed us a little more of why they had to make the move when they did (not necessarily attacking Google) the average user would have been more understanding about the growing pains that were to be encountered. But let's remember that Apple sells hundreds of millions of iOS based devices per year so they will have a lot of data that they can use to make Apple Maps very good.

Google has the device numbers but only more recently, if you look at where Google Maps (then Google Local) was just a couple months into public release (April 2005) then Apple is kicking some serious ass. Back then MapQuest was where it was at but where is MapQuest today?

So we have a budding map system from Apple that can 1) look at the successes and failures from other mapping software going forward, 2) has more resources at their disposal tan other company in the world, 3) has a strong presence around the world (if going by iTS/App Store/iBookstore presence by country), 4) has a huge number of devices that will use their map services daily and send anonymous reports of locations that can be used to ensure that map data is most up to date in the highest priority areas.

That doesn't mean they can't do more and haven't made any missteps but they are on the road to being the best product on the market. The iOS app is already tops in my book and even on the couple occasions I was ready to blame Apple Maps the problem turned out to be something else (even I was ready to blame Apple for not finding an address simply because of the bad press).

My only big request right now is for iOS 7 to include NavTeq's version of street view (or Apple get a bunch of cars and make their own. I'd even be fine with Apple or NavTeq offered it as an in-app purchase for Apple Maps. And of course getting a web-based option for non-iOS devices. Having any links you want to send to people start as map.apple.com and then get parsed to maps.google.com just makes it seems weaker.
  • Reply 75 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

As GTR notes what Google asked for to get TbT doesn't put blame on Apple, but appreciation that they didn't take the easy way out and destroy the user experience by forcing ads and more of Google's data mining onto their devices without any way for users to say no. If you don't mind about getting something for "free" but at the cost of your personal data being mined then you are welcome to use whatever service Google offers, but you have to make that choice for that service, not a choice when you buy a specific piece of HW.

So you're saying with Apple Maps your travel and search data is no longer being harvested, shared with anyone outside of Apple themselves, nor used for targeted advertising?

How do you use Apple Maps yet opt-out of user tracking along with sharing of travel stats? Is there a way to say no unlike w/Google Maps? Not that I know of. Pretty sure they're the same in that regard. As an aside, I don't think Google Maps forces ads on users either, but could be mistaken.

• Reply 76 of 96
    So you're saying with Apple Maps your travel and search data is no longer being harvested, shared with any 3rd parties, nor used for targeted advertising?
    As an aside, I don't think Google Maps forces ads on users either.

1) I wrote that Apple does collect anonymous location data. Remember LocationGate? But Apple allows you to opt-in/out and it's anonymized so it's not specific to the user but for crowd sourcing. That's very different from what Google does on every single level.

2) Yeah, they do force sponsored links.
    1000 1000

1000/INDENT]

3) Do you know how many sponsored links, pre-installed shareware or trial apps you get with Apple's products? None! When you turn on your Mac for the first time the Desktop will show the HDD icon. Nothing more. This is part of the reason people appreciate Apple's products, even if they don't know it, so getting rid of a Google Maps backend that would infuse sponsored links into your results is just an added bonus to getting rid of personal data mining, bitmapped graphics and finally getting TbT.
  • Reply 77 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I wrote that Apple does collect anonymous location data. Remember LocationGate? But Apple allows you to opt-in/out and it's anonymized so it's not specific to the user but for crowd sourcing. That's very different from what Google does on every single level.

2) Yeah, they do force sponsored links.

/INDENT]

3) Do you know how many sponsored links, pre-installed shareware or trial apps you get with Apple's products? None! When you turn on your Mac for the first time the Desktop will show the HDD icon. Nothing more. This is part of the reason people appreciate Apple's products, even if they don't know it, so getting rid of a Google Maps backend that would infuse sponsored links into your results is just an added bonus to getting rid of personal data mining, bitmapped graphics and finally getting TbT.

Yelp's Apple Maps integrated results aren't sponsored? Google also claims anonymized location and search too, not personally identifiable, just like Apple.

BTW, that's cool they plainly mark and even change the color for sponsored results compared to standard search. Nothing sneaky there IMO. Thanks for the screen shots.

• Reply 78 of 96

I'm a little worried about what will happen to iOS 5 and lower when the deal runs out…

Of course, "we don't matter in the slightest and if we cared at all about any technology we would have went out and purchased new hardware immediately upon the release of iOS 6". 

But let's say for the sake of insanity that we do matter. Just a little. What happens when the deal runs out?

• Reply 79 of 96
    Yelp's Apple Maps integrated results aren't sponsored? Google also claims anonymized location and search too, not personally identifiable, just like Apple.

1) No, Apple has a service agreement with Yelp, TomTom and a dozen other companies for Siri and Apple Maps data. That is not a "sponsor" that is getting better placement because they paid some money for a targeted ads.

2) This is how Apple collects data on device usage to help make their device better for users. Google collects user's usage to help make more money for their customers, which are other companies...
    3) These companies are completely different. I am Apple's customer but I'm Google's product. I wouldn't be surprised if Google refers to you and me as Eloi internally.
  • Reply 80 of 96
    I'm a little worried about what will happen to iOS 5 and lower when the deal runs out…

Of course, "we don't matter in the slightest and if we cared at all about any technology we would have went out and purchased new hardware immediately upon the release of iOS 6". 

But let's say for the sake of insanity that we do matter. Just a little. What happens when the deal runs out?

I'm certain the deal covers the OS for its duration provided it was released before the deal ran out.