Apple SVP Dan Riccio sells $11M in company stock, gives some proceeds to charity

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

That seems unlikely, so perhaps he's not an director/officer? Not sure why though since he has SVP title. I'm assuming his comp and stock options are similar to his fellow SVP's.

He's most certainly an officer of Apple.

Why does it seem 'unlikely' he sold? His last stock sale could well have been before 2010.

Add: Indeed it was. On July 31, 2009 -- http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/aapl/insiders?pid=964667

• Reply 22 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I have no idea what to think about Apple's stock anymore, used to believe that there's no way in hell it would drop below $550. My assumptions are all shattered now, and I've given up on making any more predidctions. Anything is possible, and the stock market does not follow any rules of rationality. Regardless of the superficial media negativity lately, It's safe to say that Apple's fundamentals are the best they've ever been in the company's history, both in terms of product line strength, quality, breadth, marketshare, revenue, profit, consumer satisfaction, etc. All indications are that surface is a flop out of the gate, and Windows 8 will have a ton of adoption issues. Google is google, but they still don't have near a cohesive consumer and developer platform that Apple does. Apple is still in the strongest position in the industry, and looks to get stronger. It's still the only company I would bet on for future growth and success, and the stock price is definitely not a reflection of that right now.  

• Reply 23 of 32

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

have no idea what to think about Apple's stock anymore, used to believe that there's no way in hell it would drop below $550.  

Remember when it hit $200? Plummeted to $80. Apple was doomed. Then up to $702. As long as the products they make still have the Spark, poor decisions elsewhere won't really matter much.

Anything is possible, and the stock market does not follow any rules of rationality. 

Now you're getting it!

• Reply 24 of 32

Quote:

I have no idea what to think about Apple's stock anymore, used to believe that there's no way in hell it would drop below $550. My assumptions are all shattered now, and I've given up on making any more predidctions. Anything is possible, and the stock market does not follow any rules of rationality. Regardless of the superficial media negativity lately, It's safe to say that Apple's fundamentals are the best they've ever been in the company's history, both in terms of product line strength, quality, breadth, marketshare, revenue, profit, consumer satisfaction, etc. All indications are that surface is a flop out of the gate, and Windows 8 will have a ton of adoption issues. Google is google, but they still don't have near a cohesive consumer and developer platform that Apple does. Apple is still in the strongest position in the industry, and looks to get stronger. It's still the only company I would bet on for future growth and success, and the stock price is definitely not a reflection of that right now.  

Patience is a virtue.

And now that you're invested in it, forget about it (until such time you need the money -- then you can worry if it's still at this level).

• Reply 25 of 32

Quote:

Anything is possible, and the stock market does not follow any rules of rationality. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Now you're getting it!

In the short-term, yes.

Couldn't disagree more vehemently about the market in the long-term. Most liquid stocks such as AAPL trade in reasonably efficient -- in the sense of price reflecting intrinsic worth -- markets in the longer haul.* (I am not saying that you should agree with me, but if you don't, then you surely shouldn't be in the market?)

*By 'long term' and 'longer haul,' I don't mean a horizon that requires you to be dead. image

• Reply 26 of 32
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    He's most certainly an officer of Apple.

Why does it seem 'unlikely' he sold? His last stock sale could well have been before 2010.

Add: Indeed it was. On July 31, 2009 -- http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/aapl/insiders?pid=964667
    Hmm....seems a little odd that he hasn't had any insider transactions since 2009. Also if you look at Apple's SEC filings, on Nov 4, 2011 you see RSU grants of 150K for all SVP's at that time except Ive. I'm curious what would require Apple to have to disclose this info for everyone but Ive. Unles he didn't receive a grant like the rest, but I find that hard to believe.
  • Reply 27 of 32

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Couldn't disagree more vehemently about the market in the long-term.

Right, right. Apple has become one of the… floatier stocks recently, but if you look at change over meaningful time it's all positive. Apple has always been a stock you sit on, not one you day trade.

• Reply 28 of 32
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Hmm... I'm not sure what's classy about selling when a stock is low. I am under the impression sales are happening now because 1) the capital gains tax is going up, and 2) stocks tend to dip before the end of the calendar year.

If this was a cashless exercise of options, the proceeds would likely be taxed as regular income, not capital gains. Anyone think the top marginals won't go up by 5% in 2013?
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Well let's see, $2 million a month salary...that means for every HOUR on the job Mansfield is being paid $12,500. Hard to believe there's nobody qualified to take that position at a less extravagant salary.
  • Reply 30 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_steve View Post

Well let's see, $2 million a month salary...that means for every HOUR on the job Mansfield is being paid $12,500. Hard to believe there's nobody qualified to take that position at a less extravagant salary.

And, you're the one to decide that it's 'extravagant'?

Compared to what? Your job and salary?

• Reply 31 of 32

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And, you're the one to decide that it's 'extravagant'?

Compared to what? Your job and salary?

Yep, here we go again, people thinking they have the right to say what other people earn.

Hilarious. Also probably political, so let's leave it right here as it is.

• Reply 32 of 32
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottnch View Post

Good for him.

He might have been a little bit richer had he sold a couple months ago, but it's nice he's giving a bit to charity. Kudos.

Perhaps he realized that with the new pile of Apple stock options he recenty received, it's a good time to take some profit on his current Apple shares.  Not that many shares, but a big pile of cash!