Apple notifies Messages beta users that service will end on Dec. 14

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    stolstol Posts: 12member

To people emphasizing that this was a beta: It was a public beta. And with all blogs and news sites reporting about it the moment it was available, it was pretty much like a new OS X app release. And you know what? OS X Lion users really used it. And what kind of company beta tests an application on a OS version that will not eventually be supported?

Well, as mentioned before, this could be released in the Mac App Store as a paid app, à la FaceTime on Snow Leopard. I guess this will not happen.

How can possibly terminating the beta, convince people to upgrade to ML is beyond logic. I would suppose that people who wanted to upgrade have already done so, or will do eventually. But what about people who cannot? It is not a hardware issue obviously, just shitty marketing tactics.

To me, this looks like proof that one should not rely on such Apple services.

• Reply 22 of 36
    What about people who have Sl and want to stay on SL? They can't communicate anymore?
    But well, it doesn't matter. Google provides "the better service", just as with Apple Maps.

GTalk. For when Apple Messages goes out of Beta.
  • Reply 23 of 36

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

What about people who have Sl and want to stay on SL? They can't communicate anymore?

What's SI? Oh, a lower-case L? No, this has nothing at all to do with Snow Leopard. Read the article.

• Reply 24 of 36
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Can't Apple just release iMessage on Lion and maybe even Snow Leopard? Not everyone can upgrade to Mountain Lion.
  • Reply 25 of 36

Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Can't Apple just release iMessage on Lion and maybe even Snow Leopard? Not everyone can upgrade to Mountain Lion.

Of course they can. Whether they will is another issue (it's not happening).

I get the feeling that Apple's desktop OS (not OS X, future) is going to be free for two upgrades. Then your computer won't be able to run it anymore and you'll have to buy a new one to get newer software. That's three years of software updates. Most people are fine with this, even if they keep using their computers for twice that time or longer.

I'm not fine with it in the slightest, and I keep and use my computers for twice that time and longer, but I'm in the minority so they couldn't care less about that.

• Reply 26 of 36
    Seriously, anyone else think Snow Leopard was the last all around good, generally bloat-free version of OS X?
  • Reply 27 of 36
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    I got upgrade burnout with Lion, although I must say that 10.7.5 actually seems a lot better than its 10.7 predecessors. I have seen and read nothing to persuade me to install 10.8 as yet. There was a supposed memory leak fix (for Lion and ML) but as I haven't been able to confirm it so far I've decided not to risk it. I may even end up waiting to see what Sir Jonathon, [I]et al.[/I], come up with.
  • Reply 28 of 36

Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

Seriously, anyone else think Snow Leopard was the last all around good, generally bloat-free version of OS X?

That's like saying System 7 was the last "good" version of Mac OS.

• Reply 29 of 36

Apple is fragmenting its very own platform.

Users typically own iPhones, iPads and Macs that are not of the same age. Some of those can't be upgraded to the latest software, for various reasons (performance, memory space, or otherwise). Now we have Facetime, iMessage, iChat, each of which is only supported on some devices. Because of this it has become hard to communicate, even between owners of Apple devices. 

I am afraid people in the end will flock to less desirable solutions, such as Skype or Google whatever.

Today I see fewer of my friends in iChat. People are just tired of waiting.

Not only is Apple fragmenting its own platform, it will also be missing a window of opportunity to gain support for their communications solutions.

The same goes for ePubs. Apple doesn't even let you read ePubs THAT YOU OWN on the Mac (they have DRM, but the ePubs are YOURS).

Neither can you read ePubs that have NO DRM (you may import them into iTunes, but you can't read it on a Mac without resorting to e.g. conversion to pdf (using Calibre, Stanza, Adobe's ePub Reader)

Tim Cook, please tell us how we can explain our way around these hurdles to PC users who need to be persuaded that the Mac ecosystem is better (Everything "just works" is becoming a thing of the past).

• Reply 30 of 36
    Apple is fragmenting its very own platform.
    Users typically own iPhones, iPads and Macs that are not of the same age. Some of those can't be upgraded to the latest software, for various reasons (performance, memory space, or otherwise). Now we have Facetime, iMessage, iChat, each of which is only supported on some devices. Because of this it has become hard to communicate, even between owners of Apple devices.

Bullshit.

I am afraid people in the end will flock to less desirable solutions, such as Skype or Google whatever.
    Today I see fewer of my friends in iChat. People are just tired of waiting.
    Not only is Apple fragmenting its own platform, it will also be missing a window of opportunity to gain support for their communications solutions.

Again, bullshit.
    The same goes for ePubs. Apple doesn't even let you read ePubs THAT YOU OWN on the Mac (they have DRM, but the ePubs are YOURS).
    Neither can you read ePubs that have NO DRM (you may import them into iTunes, but you can't read it on a Mac without resorting to e.g. conversion to pdf (using Calibre, Stanza, Adobe's ePub Reader)

Once again, bullshit.
    Tim Cook, please tell us how we can explain our way around these hurdles to PC users who need to be persuaded that the Mac ecosystem is better (Everything "just works" is becoming a thing of the past).

1) Bullshit.

2) It's likely Cook doesn't read Apple-centric forums. If he did then I would worry about Apple's direction. Perhaps you should try complaining to him in an email titled "The sky is falling."
  • Reply 31 of 36
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    aizmov wrote: »

That would be mostly owners of six year old computers, right? My understanding that it's largely the 2006 Macs that aren't supported by ML.

bedouin wrote: »

I'm sure you'll find some people that believe that, but probably not a lot. I don't understand where you get that. My experience has been the OS works better than before overall. Maybe wait until a x.x.1 update so the worst of the bugs are handled.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member

It doesn't work worth a damn anyway, so Apple being their usual dickheaded self and needlessly restricting it to the newest point release isn't really all that bad. I mean, Apple users (me included) should be used to Apple beings dicks and restricting things to the newest OS for the sole reason to sell updates and new hardware, and not because there's an actual valid reason to restrict it. They've been restricting perfectly usable software upgrades to new hardware since day 1 on iOS devices, why complain about it on a computer that costs a few thousand dollars to get perfectly useable software on older hardware? You'll bend over and like it.

• Reply 33 of 36

So all you can bring to the discussion is "bullshit?" Not very convincing.

I mostly agree with VanFruniken. And it's totally fricking crazy that we can't read iBooks on multiple platforms, and all the more so that we can't read them on our Macs!

You seems to think the sky has to fall before anyone can point out Apple's dick moves, (or at the very least, moves that are not in the interests of the Mac users?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Bullshit.

Again, bullshit.

Once again, bullshit.

1) Bullshit.

2) It's likely Cook doesn't read Apple-centric forums. If he did then I would worry about Apple's direction. Perhaps you should try complaining to him in an email titled "The sky is falling."

• Reply 34 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    desuserign wrote: »
    So all you can bring to the discussion is "bullshit?" Not very convincing.

I mostly agree with VanFruniken. And it's totally fricking crazy that we can't read iBooks on multiple platforms, and all the more so that we can't read them on our Macs!
    You seems to think the sky has to fall before anyone can point out Apple's dick moves, (or at the very least, moves that are not in the interests of the Mac users?)

What he stated simply wasn't accurate. It's tiring to correct everything right off the bat so by putting up a Stop Sign I might be able to get the OP to rethink there comment before replying.

I figure both you and him are in the same boat as you see ePub and interpret that as iBookstore nooks. There is no iBooks for the Mac and that sucks. I've lambasted Apple on many occasion on this forum for its exclusion. So what again do I seem to think when I've wished for, requested, and disagreed with Apple's apathy toward iBooks or an iBookstore book reader in Preview, iTunes, or some other app on the Mac?

I've even noted how much of a hassle it is to use iBooks Author to create a book and then have to export it to an iPad before you can even test it because they don't even have e "simulator" for that app on the Mac.

There are plenty of apps you can run that will open ePUB format which makes the OP's comment axiomatically wrong.

To drive this point home even more, here is a list of more than 10 ePub readers for the Mac and one that is sold on the Mac App Store:

• Reply 35 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What he stated simply wasn't accurate. It's tiring to correct everything right off the bat so by putting up a Stop Sign I might be able to get the OP to rethink there comment before replying.

I figure both you and him are in the same boat as you see ePub and interpret that as iBookstore nooks. There is no iBooks for the Mac and that sucks. I've lambasted Apple on many occasion on this forum for its exclusion. So what again do I seem to think when I've wished for, requested, and disagreed with Apple's apathy toward iBooks or an iBookstore book reader in Preview, iTunes, or some other app on the Mac?

I've even noted how much of a hassle it is to use iBooks Author to create a book and then have to export it to an iPad before you can even test it because they don't even have e "simulator" for that app on the Mac.

There are plenty of apps you can run that will open ePUB format which makes the OP's comment axiomatically wrong.

To drive this point home even more, here is a list of more than 10 ePub readers for the Mac and one that is sold on the Mac App Store:

Well that's the part I didn't agree with him on. But it struck a chord with me because of the issue with iBooks, which I picked up in my post.

As far as fragmentation, UX, and "it just works," I agree with him.

And all the recent issues with iCloud and Messages just underlines my point that Apple has putting flash before function for the last year or two. I hope the recent executive shakeup signals a new approach.

• Reply 36 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    desuserign wrote: »
    Well that's the part I didn't agree with him on. But it struck a chord with me because of the issue with iBooks, which I picked up in my post.

As far as fragmentation, UX, and "it just works," I agree with him.
    And all the recent issues with iCloud and Messages just underlines my point that Apple has putting flash before function for the last year or two. I hope the recent executive shakeup signals a new approach.

You and him say it's all fragmented and another group of posters claim that OS X is being "dumbed down" and turned into iOS. The reality is not as extreme as either group claims. OS X has been made more familiar thus reducing UI variances between the OSes that make it make it confusing for longtime iOS users that are new to OS X.

iMessages was first added to iDevices as a substitute for SMS. Once iOS 5 dropped and pretty much everyone I knew had updated I called AT&T and not only had my 200 SMS at $5 per month stopped but had SMS removed from my account completely. We later got the Messages app and iMessages service on Macs but why is this fragmentation when SMS wasn't already a default app and service on Macs. I wish they would have offered it sooner, I wish they would have done a better job at bringing it, and I wish they wouldn't have taken so long on listing the number/addresses you can be reached at and sent from between devices... but that is showing Apple is working to bring it all together not break it all apart as you claim.