Apple's iMessage and FaceTime suffer another significant outage [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 85
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

What's not working for you?

Which one of these problems are truly pervasive.

Apple has > 100M phone running iOS6 by now (didn't Tim Cook say 200M?). Which problems in particularly appear on > 2M phones (i.e. > 1% so as to say that it is indeed an iOS6 problem and not a quirky confluence of usage+software+specific hardware?

In other words, do you have a legit gripe or are you just full of shit?

Before iOS 6 it was perfect so any change would be a move away from perfect. :D
  • Reply 42 of 85
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Before iOS 6 it was perfect so any change would be a move away from perfect. :D

There's always maintaining the course and continue being perfect.
  • Reply 43 of 85
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    There's always maintaining the course and continue being perfect.

If it's perfect then it's already as good as it can get.
  • Reply 44 of 85
    If it's perfect then it's already as good as it can get.

Is a baseball player going to quit because he gets a hit on his first at bat because he's batting 1.000? He can always get another hit at his 2nd at bat and stay perfect and so on and so forth.
  • Reply 45 of 85
    Is a baseball player going to quit because he gets a hit on his first at bat because he's batting 1.000? He can always get another hit at his 2nd at bat and stay perfect and so on and so forth.

Not the same thing. The next time he's up to bat he's going for a different run, perhaps on a different game. What the OP stated was that iOS was perfect before iOS 6 and therefore implied that nothing shoudl change because nothing could possibly get better. Even if write that without thinking through the implications we still that iOS should not have changed in any way.
  • Reply 46 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That analogy does not apply, unless you imply Apple should stop making phones completely. Even so, it's still an ill match. If Apple quits after iOS5 (or 6) and iphone 5, there are still many millions of their phones out there, presumably lasting the next 3-5 years.

Once a batter quits (after 1st or 10,000 at bat), there will be no presence of him in the game except for history.

• Reply 47 of 85

That analogy does not apply, unless you imply Apple should stop making phones completely. Even so, it's still an ill match. If Apple quits after iOS5 (or 6) and iphone 5, there are still many millions of their phones out there, presumably lasting the next 3-5 years.

Once a batter quits (after 1st or 10,000 at bat), there will be no presence of him in the game except for history.

All I was pointing out that perfection can continue it doesn't necessarily have to go down.
  • Reply 48 of 85
    Not the same thing. The next time he's up to bat he's going for a different run, perhaps on a different game. What the OP stated was that iOS was perfect before iOS 6 and therefore implied that nothing shoudl change because nothing could possibly get better. Even if write that without thinking through the implications we still that iOS should not have changed in any way.

Of course his claim is purely subjective while my example was objective.
  • Reply 49 of 85
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by highrollermofo View Post

The IOS6 is probably the worst mistake ever.

Thanks for the advice. I'll hold off upgrading.

• Reply 50 of 85
    All I was pointing out that perfection can continue it doesn't necessarily have to go down.

No, you weren't. You are comparing a value to a product. If you say that some set of code is perfect it means it can't be improved upon. What you did was give an example or how you can maintain the average tally. It's not even in the same ballpark. Compare a calculator app that will get a perfect result in all possible calculations as being logically perfect to one claiming the code is written in the most perfect way to be efficiently executed, small, clear, whatever. They aren't the same thing.
  • Reply 51 of 85
    No, you weren't. You are comparing a value to a product. If you say that some set of code is perfect it means it can't be improved upon. What you did was give an example or how you can maintain the average tally. It's not even in the same ballpark. Compare a calculator app that will get a perfect result in all possible calculations as being logically perfect to one claiming the code is written in the most perfect way to be efficiently executed, small, clear, whatever. They aren't the same thing.

But more perfect sets of code can be added. Like I said his perfection was purely subjective. I remember thinking my StarTAC was the perfect phone, let's just say I no longer think that.
  • Reply 52 of 85

My issue with FaceTime is that my sister calls, I answer, and the FaceTime alert still beeps on my iMac even after I've picked up on my iPhone and we're conversing. -- What's up with that?

• Reply 53 of 85
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpnorton82 View Post

My issue with FaceTime is that my sister calls, I answer, and the FaceTime alert still beeps on my iMac even after I've picked up on my iPhone and we're conversing. -- What's up with that?

"Answer the call dpnorton"

• Reply 54 of 85
    But more perfect sets of code can be added. Like I said his perfection was purely subjective. I remember thinking my StarTAC was the perfect phone, let's just say I no longer think that.

They you should be well aware that what you feel is a perfect phone for a given time is not the same as a perfect possible value within a finite set of numbers. You should be well aware that your StarTAC was just the best phone option at the time you could conceive or otherwise known as state of the art, but it was not perfect. It might have even been the perfect phone for you at the time or the most perfect feeling or sounding phone you had ever used but that is perfect used with very distinct qualifiers.

If you can truly define something as perfect it will be perfect forever, like a perfect baseball score or a perfect result from any logical calculation, not a personal feeling.
  • Reply 55 of 85

Well, you've given that idiot exactly what he wanted. image

• Reply 56 of 85
    They you should be well aware that what you feel is a perfect phone for a given time is not the same as a perfect possible value within a finite set of numbers. You should be well aware that your StarTAC was just the best phone option at the time you could conceive or otherwise known as state of the art, but it was not perfect. It might have even been the perfect phone for you at the time or the most perfect feeling or sounding phone you had ever used but that is perfect used with very distinct qualifiers.
    If you can truly define something as perfect it will be perfect forever, like a perfect baseball score or a perfect result from any logical calculation, not a personal feeling.

Well as a pure cell phone I still think it can't be beat, but with the advent of smartphones making phone calls has become less and less important.
  • Reply 57 of 85
    Outages I can forgive.

The poorly-conceived, bug-infested, incoherent mess which is OS X Messages? Not so much.
  • Reply 58 of 85

Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

The poorly-conceived, bug-infested, incoherent mess which is OS X Messages? Not so much.

I'd like my iMessage/FaceTime contacts to show up in the list of contacts with everything else I have there instead of having to manually type them in and only have their reference in conversation tabs (which I don't keep around when the conversation is done).

Other than that, most of the bugs that weren't already there in iChat have been fixed.

• Reply 59 of 85
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member

Remember when Twitter being down was a nearly weekly thing? Talk about growing pains. Apple's suffering them too, just smaller ones.

Aaaaaarrrgh! A scandal! A scandal! Woe is me!

It was OK for Twitter to crash because that was in 20XX. It's now 2012 and I demand PERFECTION from Apple because they raised the bar of expectation so high and Twitter is the current Gold Standard(TM) of connection stability. How are we going to cope? I demand that Apple pays us all to have therapy to recover from the terrible blight that they have inflicted - nay, forced- upon us. Oh woe is me...

To be fair I must say that I had some trouble around June this year with iMessage on the iPhone 4 - and that was with iOS5, not OS6, and it was between here (Oz) and Lisbon (Portugal).
  • Reply 60 of 85

Originally Posted by AlexN View Post

It was OK for Twitter to crash because that was in 20XX. It's now 2012 and I demand PERFECTION…

That's still twenty ex-de-ex, though. Think you mean 200X. Just call them the naughties.

…Twitter is the current Gold Standard(TM) of connection stability.

No one would have believed that when they started out. Funny how… everyone is pretending to ignore this for Apple.