AC/DC library now available on Apple's iTunes Store

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unkown Blogger View Post

I was curious to see if iTunes Match would work with these albums, since I already own most of them. So far, only Back in Black shows up as Matched AAC. The others still show as MPEG Audio files from when I ripped my CDs.

Black in Black matched from day one of iTunes Match. It was odd then

• Reply 22 of 33
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

Chris_CA View Post

All albums are mastered for iTunes, not only "High Voltage".

Producers can submit their catalog to iTunes using any old mastering method, but "Mastered for iTunes" refers to Apple's relatively new guidelines for audio engineers to produce a copy specifically for iTunes, just as they adjust various sound parameters when mastering for CD, vinyl, radio, etc. It has the added benefit of discouraging dynamic range compression, which squashes detail to have more perceived volume.

Apple guide to iTunes mastering (pdf)

[ninja edit] Ars Technica hands-on

• Reply 23 of 33
    It's funny I saw just reading about the few bands/singers who hadn't been put into iTunes...
  • Reply 24 of 33
    kr00kr00 Posts: 99member
    ireland wrote: »
    The Scottish, British, Australian band.

No. The band has always been an Australian band, just some of the members have come from other parts of the world. A Melbourne pub band from the 70's.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Just in time for Obama's re-inauguration: "Back in Black"
  • Reply 26 of 33
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

Producers can submit their catalog to iTunes using any old mastering method, but "Mastered for iTunes" refers to Apple's relatively new guidelines for audio engineers to produce a copy specifically for iTunes

Okay.

All AC/DC albums in iTunes state they are "Mastered for iTunes", not only "High Voltage" as noted in this article.

• Reply 27 of 33
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

This was one of the things that surprised me when I first got an iPhone in 2008 and took a look at the iTunes store.

I have all their albums on CD so ripped them as AAC anyway.

I won "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" from a radio station in 1976 on vinyl, bought it on cassette in the eighties for my walkman, then on CD in the nineties for my diskman.

I'm not buying it again.

When they first started most of the mainstream music industry hated them, there was all this hippy shit and disco around on the radio, saw them live at a couple of small venues, it wasn't until they left Australia that they really took off, Back in Black was the world's best selling album in 1981 until Thriller came along, I've seen a few of their shows since then, well worth catching, their sets are amazing.

The other release this week is Celebration Day by Led Zeppelin, Robert Plant's vocals seem strained at times and lost a little bit of the magic, understandable really given his age.

• Reply 28 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I won "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" from a radio station in 1976 on vinyl, bought it on cassette in the eighties for my walkman, then on CD in the nineties for my diskman.

I'm not buying it again.

No one is asking you to buy it again.  No one asked you to buy it again on cassette and CD.  Apparently, you didn't know how to record it from vinyl to cassette in the 80s, like everyone else did.  This isn't for people that already own their catalog.  This is for people that never bought it, but might want to now.  Of course their older stuff is cheaper on CD than in iTunes ($7.64 on Amazon for Back in Black).  But kids today prefer to steal music off the internet rather than buy it.

• Reply 29 of 33

I'll wait for the songs to show up on Amazon.  I hate exclusive deals.  I believe in competition.

• Reply 30 of 33
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    stourque wrote: »
    I don't get these artists who refuse to sign onto iTunes because they sell single songs. Are these guys naive enough to think people are going out and buying their CD's?

I actually bought their entire catalog on CD recently.
  • Reply 31 of 33

I never understood the holdout mentality either. Successful bands have to deal with the radio single paradigm.

More to the point, if your group doesn't offer music in a digital storefront, there is a huge chunk of consumers who will never know you exist.

• Reply 32 of 33

Is the last notable group to not be on iTunes? I keep thinking there's another notable.

• Reply 33 of 33

That illustrates the point perfectly.

"If an item does not appear in our records, it does not exist."