Apple unveils 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display starting at $1699

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Just like the 15" price point is too high.

Retina is awesome but its not something that most people can afford, at least right now.

I would say more people will now be debating over a 13" Retina vs a regular 15", rather then upgrading from a regular 13".

At an arms length, you also can't tell the difference between the retina and standard display.  It is not like holding an iPhone much closer to your face to operate the device, where you were able to see the pixels and text jaggies at a closer distance with the pre-retina models.  Apple Stores have both standard and retina models side by side and the difference between the two is not worth the excessive price premium for a MacBook Pro with far too limiting disk space.

• Reply 22 of 26
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member

The reason the MacBook Pro 13" is the most popular selling model is because it has a starting price of $1,199, not $1,699!  For $500 less than the retina model, you get the same speed processor, 4x more disk space, same graphics, an optical drive, Ethernet, FireWire, and support for 16 GB RAM ($114 at OWC).  Only a fool would buy the retina model with crippled features.  Better yet, pick up the late 2011 15" top of the line model on clearance for $1,599, $100 less than the 13" retina:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827024-REG/Apple_MD322LL_A_15_4_MacBook_Pro_Notebook.html

Nice to see that most people feel the retina models are overpriced, and the standard MBPs are still a better value.  Memories of the Cube G4, overpriced compared to the faster and more expandable Power Mac G4s.

• Reply 23 of 26
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The reason the MacBook Pro 13" is the most popular selling model is because it has a starting price of $1,199, not $1,699!  For $500 less than the retina model, you get the same speed processor, 4x more disk space, same graphics, an optical drive, Ethernet, FireWire, and support for 16 GB RAM ($114 at OWC).  Only a fool would buy the retina model with crippled features.  Better yet, pick up the late 2011 15" top of the line model on clearance for $1,599, $100 less than the 13" retina:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827024-REG/Apple_MD322LL_A_15_4_MacBook_Pro_Notebook.html

Nice to see that most people feel the retina models are overpriced, and the standard MBPs are still a better value.  Memories of the Cube G4, overpriced compared to the faster and more expandable Power Mac G4s.

the rMBPs are over prices....I bought one anyways :p I love the 15 :D its damn awesome, i have boot camp running win 7 just for games, it out performs my Lamborghini gaming laptop with SSD 16GB or ram & a 3GB GPU 

mt lion is magical on it too, if the 13 had a dedicated video card I probably would be regretting the 15 inch purchase, as of right now, I'm feeling pretty good. 

• Reply 24 of 26
    $500 more for a flash drive, retina display...but a slower processor!?!?! Or comparing retina to retina, $300 difference for for 128gb more storage!?!?!
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Behold! The Macbook Air with Retina display!
  • Reply 26 of 26
    It is good but $1399, a hell lot of money!