Keychain errors fixed in new OS X Mountain Lion Supplemental Update 2.0

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday rolled out Supplemental Update 2.0 for all 2012 Mac models running OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, with the small patch fixing an issue regarding the operating system's Keychain password manager.

Supplemental Update 2

The update, which is compatible with 2012 model year Macs only, fixes an undisclosed problem with Keychain. Apple's update comes over a month after Supplemental Update 1.0 was released for all systems running OS X 10.8.2, which brought fixes for Japanese character rendering in Mail, ineffective Safari parental controls and startup issues with computers having over 64GB of RAM.

From the Supplemental Update 2.0 release notes:
About OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Supplemental Update 2.0
This update addresses an issue with Keychain that can affect 2012 Mac systems.
This update is recommended for all Mac systems introduced in 2012.
While merely speculation, the Keychain fix may be associated with a similar problem seen in the OS X 10.8.1 that caused the password management system to become inaccessible for some users. The bug was supposedly patched in the most recent build of OS X 10.8.2, according to that update's published release notes.

The update comes on the heels of rumors that Apple is preparing to seed one of the first beta versions of OS X 10.8.3 to Mac developers and AppleSeed participants. Invites for the beta were sent out prematurely at the end of October, suggesting the newest Mountain Lion test version is nearing completion.

Apple's OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Supplemental Update 2.0 weighs in at 26.65MB and can be downloaded via Software Update or Apple's http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1611?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US<; ahref="http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1611?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US">Support Downloads webpage. Although OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.2 is the only listed system requirement, the update will not work on Macs built before 2012.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday rolled out Supplemental Update 2.0 for all 2012 Mac models running OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, with the small patch fixing an issue regarding the operating system's Keychain password manager.

The update, which is compatible with 2012 model year Macs only, fixes an undisclosed problem with Keychain. 

I'm getting leery of updates as the recent rMBP update is said to decrease performance which is not something I was anxious to implement. Perhaps I should wait on this one as well until we get some additional clarification of any possible side affects.

• Reply 2 of 10
    Thank goodness for this fix! I was being prompted for my password yet still was being denied access to email, safari, and my WIFI. What was worse was that, without permissions, I was denied access to copying and deleting files on my hard drives.
  • Reply 3 of 10

It didn't fix it all, most of my passwords still don't auto populate.

• Reply 4 of 10

I have an older iMac 21.5" 2011 model and I was having incessant requests for email password which would if entered go on to log me in but at times refused to even accept it. I finally logged into Keychain and found the mail keychain and reset all my passwords and that solved the problem. I even ran the keychain database fix program.image

This has happened from time to time in the past too. Keychain seems to get corrupted or something.

• Reply 5 of 10
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

Apple's naming scheme for OS updates has officially gone sideways. image

• Reply 6 of 10

What in the name of Jobs is going on at Apple? I just bought a 2012 Mac mini i5, which had hardware issues. Back it went, and I bought the i7 model. Now it won't install 10.8.2, as Apple has officially pulled that update for Mac mini owners. Uh, Apple under Tim Cook seems to be just awful. PS, long time Apple user (1984), so I'm no troll. :-)

• Reply 7 of 10

I gotta agree, seriously... the point releases were meant to be bug fixes... we now need point-point releases in-between the point releases because they didn't test the point releases thoroughly enough???

Ditto, long time user here as well (infrequent here, forgive the low post count!), but increasingly disillusioned. Hoping that the latest reshuffling will help them get back on top (in my mind!).

• Reply 8 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jemster View Post

Ditto, long time user here as well (infrequent here, forgive the low post count!), but increasingly disillusioned. Hoping that the latest reshuffling will help them get back on top (in my mind!).

Low post count is not necessarily a bad thing. I admire those that listen and only speak when they have something credible to add.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

often attributed to President A. Lincoln but was originally a quip by Samuel L. Clemens
  • Reply 9 of 10

Ooops

• Reply 10 of 10
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jemster View Post

I gotta agree, seriously... the point releases were meant to be bug fixes... we now need point-point releases in-between the point releases because they didn't test the point releases thoroughly enough???

If there weren't any bugs in a point release, the next wouldn't be necessary.

They found a bug in 10.8.2 that they wanted to fix before 10.8.3. Would you rather wait?.