Apple's refreshed product lineup expected to dominate holiday shopping season

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
The 2012 holiday shopping season is predicted to be dominated by Apple, as the company has refreshed nearly its entire product lineup in the last few months.

Lineup

Analyst Brian White with Topeka Capital Markets expects that consumers will spend slightly more this holiday season in the face of continuing economic struggles. But he expects that Apple's products will be the most in demand this holiday season, particularly the iPad and iPhone.

"This holiday season will belong to Apple, as the product lineup has never been stronger with a recent refresh across 80% of the company's portfolio," White said, "combined with spending trends in the consumer electronics world that favor areas such as tablets and smartphones."

He cited a new survey conducted by the Consumer Electronics Association which found that tablets were the most-desired gift among U.S. adults, taking 16 percent of the vote. That was enough to beat TVs, with 10 percent, and smartphones, with 8 percent.

The poll also found that demand for tablets is growing, as last year the CEA found that 14 percent of U.S. adults wanted a tablet for the holidays. Smartphones also soared on the list from ninth place last year to third this year.

But the survey also found that consumers plan to spend less on electronics for their 2012 holiday gifts. Last year, consumers said they would spend about 32 percent of their budget on electronics, while that number dropped to 30 percent this year.

The CEA is projecting holiday retail sales will rise by 3.4 percent this year. That growth would be slower than last year, when holiday retail sales were up 3.68 percent.

White made waves on Monday after he called a recent selloff in AAPL stock "insanely insane." After his note to investors was issued and began to grab attention, the company's stock rebounded by more than 7 percent in a single day.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Here's hoping the 15" rMBP sticks with its historic average update times, so the 2nd gen will be out around March 2013. I expect it will start a bit cheaper, just as the MacBook Air had a big drop between its 1st and 2nd gen.
  • Reply 2 of 14

Oh  no, not a increase, the stock can't take this kind of news.

• Reply 3 of 14

I'll be a happy camper once that 'Available in November' disappears

• Reply 4 of 14
    Re: I'll be a happy camper once that 'Available in November' disappears

Yes - me, too. I find it interesting that I have an email from Apple pushing the one-day sale on Friday (3 days away) --- and there is still no price for any of the iMacs ---- 21.5 inch version available in November ---- and we are running out of November.
  • Reply 5 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

.....White made waves on Monday after he called a recent selloff in AAPL stock "insanely insane." After his note to investors was issued and began to grab attention, the company's stock rebounded by more than 7 percent in a single day.

This article makes it seem like the 7% run-up yesterday had everything to do with White's note to investors. There have been many research notes issued by lots of analysts to lots of investors over the past couple months, what makes this guy's note special compared to the rest of them?

• Reply 6 of 14

Like every year. 

• Reply 7 of 14

"But he expects that Apple's products will be the most in demand this holiday season, particularly the iPad and iPhone."

Yeah, "in demand". So what... It's not like shoppers walking around, shopping in all the ultra-retail shopping areas where all the Apple Stores are located can just walk into any Apple store and say "I'll take two of each".  Apple is going to miss out on a $**t load of sales this year. It's "Sorry, put your name on the list".

...Really unfortunate.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

I'd love to give myself a new 27" iMac. :-(

• Reply 9 of 14
    iMac = Not available for order yet
    iPhone 5 = Only available for the first 20 or so people in the store each day
    iPad & iPad Mini = Good luck with that

You're in luck if you want a Mac Pro or MacBook A/P, I guess.

I hope Apple has stock-piled the iMac & iPhones the last few weeks for holiday sales and that's why we can't get them right now...
  • Reply 10 of 14

Jingle Bells, Ballmer smells,

Sinofsky lays an egg...

Too bad the Surface Pro* isn't out yet. It would make a great food warmer for your Thanksgiving day table; especially with the thoughtful gravy trench around the perimeter... 

Set those live tiles to Christmas colors next month and be sure download all your favorite Christmas carols so the Surface Pro* can be the center piece of your holiday table that the family will talk about for years to come...!

*not a recreational device Battery for 2 hours of use included.

• Reply 11 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

"But he expects that Apple's products will be the most in demand this holiday season, particularly the iPad and iPhone."

Yeah, "in demand". So what... It's not like shoppers walking around, shopping in all the ultra-retail shopping areas where all the Apple Stores are located can just walk into any Apple store and say "I'll take two of each".  Apple is going to miss out on a $**t load of sales this year. It's "Sorry, put your name on the list".

...Really unfortunate.

As a stockholder, yes, I want them to sell to impulse buyers.  

On the other hand, the alternative (hundreds of units on the shelves, not moving) is less appealing than selling everyone they make.

I can only hope that 1) they are transitioning to instore stocks, 2) production levels are improving dramatically.  It's not like they haven't worked through insane demand in the past.

And....  I truly want a purchaser of an Apple phone to be motivated, rather than 'just get me one of those Galaxy iPhones....' any shiny thing will do shoppers.   If they want an iPhone, they'll order one.

• Reply 12 of 14
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member

Apple, please - please take pre-orders At Least! Something to say that we can get our Macs. I do not recall a time where Apple did not have a New iMac on sale (for WEEKS). Heeeeelp. I want a new one.

• Reply 13 of 14
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member

By the way, right next to my local Apple Store (Woodfield Mall/Schaumburg IL) there is a huge 7' backlit Galaxy Note Advertisement. Something about a phone and a tablet... etc.

• Reply 14 of 14
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by H2P View Post

Apple, please - please take pre-orders At Least! Something to say that we can get our Macs. I do not recall a time where Apple did not have a New iMac on sale (for WEEKS). Heeeeelp. I want a new one.

It's possible that they're having trouble projecting yields. That might explain the lack of pre-order options. Customizing displays to that degree is completely different from their past behavior. The rMBP surprised me a bit less as notebooks are a somewhat larger growth market. I was really surprised to see them go that direction in desktop displays in the same year.