Nokia's dedicated 'Here' maps app hits the iOS App Store

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Wow, my ColecoVision had better graphics...
  • Reply 42 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagladry View Post

No Integration with Contacts??? Pretty useless if you ask me Charlie. I stay with iOS Maps and Waze.

I wish everyone would use Waze. Or Apple would just buy them and somehow integrate their service. Waze + Apple maps would be amazing.

• Reply 43 of 57
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    According to Nokia maps, I still live in the middle of nowhere, i.e. a blank area devoid of streets which do indeed exist.

Hence I deleted it, preferring not to put it in the Navigation folder I use to keep my iPhone pristine and uncluttered.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    If you don't understand it, you are hopeless.
    Condescension only works when someone smart is saying something so clearly superior and others are really not getting it. What you say and how you say it is never superior. You are not smart enough. Save it or you just look like a Kia owner tossing his keys to a valet.
    After reading your post, the best advice for you is that condescension only works when someone smart is saying something so clearly superior and others are really not getting it. What you say and how you say it is never superior. You are not smart enough. Save it or you just look like a Kia owner tossing his keys to a valet. In short, you might take heed of your own advice.
  • Reply 45 of 57
    It's very good for a Web app (HTML5). Looking forward to a native iOS client which will have a nice UI, faster and support more features. I like the public transportation option
  • Reply 46 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevt View Post

Tried it today, but was disappointed. Nokia may have better data worldwide, but the Apple App is so much better executed.

So I'm sticking with OS 5 on my iPhone 4s until either Nokia improves the App, or Apple it's data, or Google comes up with a decent solution.

The old Apple App on Google data works best for me just now.

That's mostly because it is a WebApp and not native.

• Reply 47 of 57

It's amply certain that most, if not all, of "Nokia Map sucks" comments here came from those who fail to understand this concept. They should instead compare it with Nokia Map running natively in Nokia Lumia series, including Lumia 920, a far superior phone than iPhone 5 in every way] and some other WP8 phones for a fair comparison, or, while at it, compare Apple's own map to those Android devices running Google Map natively as well. The world is indeed "big", "wonderful" and "perfect" when you are stuck living in your own cave.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eat@me View Post

That's mostly because it is a WebApp and not native.

• Reply 48 of 57
    I'm always game for a free download from a well-known vendor, so down came the app onto my iDevices.

Initial verdict is not as good as Apple Maps, in fact far from it. Turn-by-turn walking instructions I will give a try soon, and maybe download a few choice area maps.

I'm really enjoying the Apple Maps app now as it is a far cry from what it was prior to the amendments and corrections, a lot of which were bundled into the iOS 6.01 firmware upgrade but not announced as such. My small Southern UK town is now in Satellite/FlyOver-glorious 3D.

And in a nearby town in the West Country over the weekend, Apple Maps' turn-by-turn voice commands on my iPhone 5 put in a star turn and directed a car-load of friends precisely across 3 locations, even re-routing quietly when the driver missed a turning once and turned too early another time.

Relief and admiration all round in equal measures, as none of us knew our way around!!
  • Reply 49 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

How's that relevant when I can't even trust the data? The thing about both Nokia and Google Maps for me is that I trust both of them to provide me with consistently accurate information everywhere in the world.

While I agree Google Maps seems to be a more accurate it's far from perfect and seems to get a lot of leeway (can't speak for Nokia). And again it's true you don't need any maps in an area where you're familiar with where you're going but my neighborhood is over five years old and still doesn't show up on Google Maps where it does on Apple Maps. Does it affect me? No. Would it affect someone coming into my neighborhood that isn't familiar? Yes. 

None of these mapping solutions is perfect. Maybe Apple's is further off than others but they all need users to provide feedback to make them better. If no one uses it it's going to take a long time for that to happen. 

• Reply 50 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcel655 View Post

I have not upgraded my iPhone but have tried the apple maps on my iPad mini. Here is the problem with what you are saying updates to more and more of my apps require iOS 6, so my choice is to keep google maps and have no more upgrades to any of my software or upgrade and loose functionality.If you cant understand how that is not a good thing well, you cant fix stupid. Either way google will release its superrior mapping app at which point I can upgrade. Five years down the road apple will have decent data and the google maps up will be redundant.

More than likely apple will be irrelevant like microsoft and we will hate on whoever is not using whatever we decided to buy.

Marcel655,

I understand perfectly well that sticking with iOS 5 it will be increasingly difficult to keep your other apps updated. Unnecessary insult aside; yes, I know that that's not a good thing.  However, this is a "you can't have your cake and eat it too" situation.  You have to decide what's best for you; BUT... you can't have both.  It's as simple as that.

This is no different than any other upgrade for any OS platform.  People were complaining bitterly when Apple removed the "rosetta" PPC compatibility layer from the MacOS, saying they *needed* that old app that won't work on modern OS's.  The answer was the same as it is here:  Don't upgrade, and your software will work just as well as it did yesterday.  Did these people miss out on the latest features (and yes, some of those were security features)?  Yes they did.  But Apple made the decision that they didn't want their OS "experience" clouded by old software UI's.

Stick with iOS 5. It's not broken.  And to my knowledge, no apps are frozen out iOS 5 users... yet.  So that argument is hollow.

• Reply 51 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Yeah, sure, I'm a lying and there are actually STREETS in Apple Maps if you go to Cayman Islands, right?

Nokia maps would be of more use if there were streets where I live, I couldn't care less about some islands I am never likely to visit.

• Reply 52 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireside View Post

Nokia Lumia series, including Lumia 920, a far superior phone than iPhone 5 in every way]

So have total sales of the Lumia 920 caught up with one or two day's sales of the iPhone 5?

(You did state EVERY WAY, which is quite a big call.)

• Reply 53 of 57

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So have total sales of the Lumia 920 caught up with one or two day's sales of the iPhone 5?

(You did state EVERY WAY, which is quite a big call.)

What about processor power, did that catch up? How about [insert virtually every imaginable spec here]; did a software patch make those better, too?

• Reply 54 of 57
    What about processor power, did that catch up? How about [insert virtually every imaginable spec here]; did a software patch make those better, too?

Not to mention that if I invited a Lumia user relying on Nokia maps to my house, they would get lost.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    What a horrible app. Tried it on both the iPad and iPhone. Slow, pixelated, interface is ugly as ass, tiny indecipherable icons, and again- ugly. I don't get why a big was made of this. The useability just blows.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    Satellite imagery for the UK seems shockingly poor. Quickly deleted.
  • Reply 57 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    Nokia has decided to remove their mapping app from Apple's store citing a poor user experience since the iOS7 update. Sounds to me more like Nokia doesn't want to be bothered with making the necessary changes.

"We have made the decision to remove our HERE Maps app from the Apple App Store because recent changes to iOS 7 harm the user experience. iPhone users can continue to use the mobile web version of HERE Maps under m.here.com, offering them location needs, such as search, routing, orientation, transit information and more, all completely free of charge."

courtesy Engadget
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/27/nokia-kills-here-maps-blames-ios-7/