File sharing

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

Could someone help me with this? I want to trasfer some files from my old PowerMac 6100 (OS 7.5) to my iBook (OS 9.2.2) via ethernet. I am not sure how to get them to recognize each other. I have been through the AppleShare in chooser, TCP/IP (MacTCP in 7.5), sharing moniter, sharing setup, etc. but I cannot get it to work. I know it would be tedious, but if someone could give me a walkthrough, or point to a website with a walkthrough, I would be grateful. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Horned_Frog:

<strong>Hi,

Could someone help me with this? I want to trasfer some files from my old PowerMac 6100 (OS 7.5) to my iBook (OS 9.2.2) via ethernet. I am not sure how to get them to recognize each other. I have been through the AppleShare in chooser, TCP/IP (MacTCP in 7.5), sharing moniter, sharing setup, etc. but I cannot get it to work. I know it would be tedious, but if someone could give me a walkthrough, or point to a website with a walkthrough, I would be grateful. Thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you connecting the two machines directly? If so you need a cross over ethernet cable.

Alternatively you could connect them through a hub with two straight cables.

Filesharing should be turned on on the faster machine (the iBook).

Both machines should have AppleTalk through ethernet.

Select the iBook from the Chooser on the 6100.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    How do I tell if the ethernet is a crossover cable or not?

Plus, the ethernet connection for the 6100 is an external one, and it may be broken becasue the little green light did not come on when I plugged it in. It is a liitle beige thing that I had to buy sperately, but it does have an apple logo on it.

Really sorry for being so vague, but I am pretty unfamiliar with how this stuff works.

I guess I could buy an external floppy drive, but they are like $70 so this would be considerably cheaper.

But, what kind of hub would I need? A serial to USB???
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Just FYI, it is an "Apple Ethernet Twisted-Pair Transceiver Model # MO437" if anyone is familar with that. It hgas two little lights on either side. If they do not come on, does that mean it is broken? Maybe I just need a crossover cable as opposed to the ethernet cable I have now?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    the hub I was referring to was an ethernet hub.

a cross over cable is just an ethernet cable with it's wires crossed.

x====

Here's how you tell:

take both ends of your cable and face them clip side down.

look through the clear plastic on the clips the houses the wires.

if the colored wires are in the same sequence on both cables it is straight ethernet.

if the wires's color sequences are reversed it is crossover.

Crossover cables should be labeled as crossover cables (might say X-OVER). If you don't know which it is it probably straight.

If there are two lights on the transceiver one is probably for 'Link' the other for 'Traffic'.

No lights on means no link, no traffic.

Get a cross over ethernet cable between the two machines and the link light will go on. Start transferring files and the traffic light will flash...

hope this helps.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I have a straight cable now.

I'll pick up a crossover tomorrow and let ya know.

Thanks!

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: Horned_Frog ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 11
    im not an expert, but I've read that the Dual-USB iBooks can auto-detect a straight-cable and will cross it over internally

Silly me, your sig says 466.....single USB.

i found this info helpful though so ill leave it up

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: preston ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I just went through the same thing with my iMac and new iBook. Here's some hints.

Hook the two up and then check the Apple system Profiler. It should have both cards as being up. Since yours is external I don't know how that would show up but look for "up".

Apple talk and File sharing are on and both computers have a different name.

On my iMac file sharing would die as soon as I hit the "turn on" button. Turned out I needed a PRAM zap.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Now if someone could tell me how to get USB printer sharing to work. I guess both systems have to have the driver installed? Also it seems that the printer sharing only works via TCP/IP. Which means the fscking iMac dials in every time I try to turn it on. Can't it just use Apple Talk over the ethernet?

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: Scott H. ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>Now if someone could tell me how to get USB printer sharing to work. I guess both systems have to have the driver installed? Also it seems that the printer sharing only works via TCP/IP. Which means the fscking iMac dials in every time I try to turn it on. Can't it just use Apple Talk over the ethernet?

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: Scott H. ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I kind of got lost at the end of your post but we are using USB printer sharing on several machines so perhaps I can help.

The printer driver must be installed on both (all) machines. On the host go to the USB Printer Sharing control panel.

1. Turn on printer sharing.

2. Click the tab for My Printers.

3. Select the printer(s) you wish to share by clicking in the box next to that printer's name.

4. Close the control panel.

On the client open USB Printer Sharing.

1. Turn on printer sharing.

2. Click the tab for Network Printers.

3. Click the button Add, at lower right.

4. Navigate around the browser window that opens to find the printer(s) you wish to add and select them.

5. Close the browser window. You now should see the control panel with the selected printer(s) displayed.

6. Close the control panel.

On the client go to the chooser and click on the printer icon for the printer you wish to use. In a second it should appear at right. Click on it, choose background printing (or not). Close the chooser.

You now should be able to print remotely.

We only use Ethernet for networking. I have never seen it try to dial into anything when we print.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    hey guys,

the crossover cable did the trick! No one around me locally had one cheap ($20+) and I was able to order one from the Apple store for $10 plus free shipping. It just got here for some reason, but it worked! Thanks!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    USB Printer Sharing only works via TCP/IP. For me that means PPP. So if it want it on I have to dial in. Which is useless because I get a different IP address each time and who the FSCK wants to dial in to print?

Why couldn't Apple make it work via AppleTalk?

I'm trying to get IPNetRouter to work but I can't get it to dial in and connect. It also seems to want to connect ALL THE TIME which is super annoying. I'm hoping it will allow the TPC/IP connection between the two computers without the dial up.