Construction of Apple's 'spaceship' campus may not be finished until 2016

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Contrast this with incredible advances in China where they are going to build echo friendly tallest building in the world in just 90 days.

http://gizmodo.com/5962070/china-will-build-the-tallest-building-in-the-world-in-just-90-days
  • Reply 22 of 32
    ireland wrote: »

Pretty soon my webbrowser will be wget|grep|more. It's already too cluttered in lynx...

(I take back the Lynx comment; it defaults to the iPhone site which isn't too bad there.)
  • Reply 23 of 32
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    xxsamplexx wrote: »
    Ironically, the completion of this building will coincide with Apple's irrelevance. They'll probably be little more than a modern day Sony by 2016. Big, sure. Powerful in the market, sure. But without Jobs, no longer able to conjure magic out of thin air with new, unimagined products being announced every few years.

Problem is Apple is always state-of-the-art thus it is difficult to become an Also-rans... (Definition: Samsung)

has-been heard many times before TROLL.

perhaps, you should instead Elucidate exactly why you think this...

hmm, in 2014 apple will have a 20nm A* processor in the New iPad, it will be thinner... and so on..
  • Reply 24 of 32
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    Pretty soon my webbrowser will be wget|grep|more. It's already too cluttered in lynx...
    (I take back the Lynx comment; it defaults to the iPhone site which isn't too bad there.)

do you mean wget | grep more ? LOL even that command will only show all occurances of more in the output of wget...
  • Reply 25 of 32
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    http://iphone.appleinsider.com  It works on my Mac. Try it on your iPad. 

Excellent recommendation.

Thank you!
  • Reply 26 of 32
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Environmental impact report delayed? Compared to the what's currently there - the big buildings and huge parking lots - Apple's should be an easy report to do!

Steve Jobs wanted to place all the orchards back that were common during his younger years there, install more green power, and return most of that land back to its natural state. 

The environmental impact study also examines the demolition and construction aspects of the project. There is going to be a lot of digging going on for underground utilities as well as underground parking structure and underground auditorium, etc. There may also be some remediation required if there are any old underground waste water holding, fuel or chemical storage tanks. You never know until you do the study.

• Reply 27 of 32
    @xxsamplexx
    Do you have that little faith in Apple that they have no other ideas beyond what Jobs provided at Apple? Jobs greatest acheivement is Apple itself and building a sustainable company. I agree it will be hard to top the iPad as revolutionary (magic out of thin air as you call it) products come once a generation. Travel for example went from horse to buggy to train to car to plane. You could predict the next revolutionary travel will be space. Computers went from mainframe, desktop, laptop, tablet. Once a revolutionary product is released its all about evolution. The desktop computer is one example with processor and memory improvements every year since the first one. There is nothing revolutionary about that.

Apple becoming Sony in 4 years. Please tell me you a joking. Apple has way too much cash and ZERO debt. Compare that to Sony's latest results. http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/index.html. I'm not going to get into specifics but numbers presented this way "$(3,851 )" are bad. This is in millions for Cash flow used in operating and investing activities combined excluding the Financial Services segment%u2019s activities. That can't be good.

Apple is all about integration. The future will be the continued seamless integration of apple products into our daily routine. We souldn't have to work at connecting them together and Apple to date has done n okay job at this. Yes it can be better but give Apple a break and have some faith they will do the right thing. Real people work there and I'm sure they have needs in their lives that we all share. Some of those ideas will be great and some won't. I'd bet some ideas are waiting for technology to catch up just like the iPad was an evolution of the Knowledge Navigator.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    AdBlock for Safari will solve your issue... on the Mac, at least.

iPad... is another story. But then again, you wanted a AppStore curated device, with no risky dangerous evil extension in your software, right?
  • Reply 29 of 32

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

iPad... is another story. But then again, you wanted a AppStore curated device, with no risky dangerous evil extension in your software, right?

Your point being what?

• Reply 30 of 32
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    AdBlock for Safari will solve your issue... on the Mac, at least.

LOL

So you think I should toss the iPad and enjoy the site with 75% of it's space devoted to advertising on another device?

You make a convincing argument.

;-)
  • Reply 31 of 32
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by IsmOfAm View Post

Contrast this with incredible advances in China where they are going to build echo friendly tallest building in the world in just 90 days.

http://gizmodo.com/5962070/china-will-build-the-tallest-building-in-the-world-in-just-90-days

No, they're going to erect the building in 90 days, but it's made from pre-fab panels.   So the real question is how long does it take to manufacture the panels and ship them to site?    If that takes a  year or more, then there's not much difference as compared with traditional construction. 

• Reply 32 of 32
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    gtr wrote: »
    LOL
    So you think I should toss the iPad and enjoy the site with 75% of it's space devoted to advertising on another device?
    You make a convincing argument.
    ;-)

Huh? Just use Atomic or Mercury on your iPad. Solved.