AT&T reportedly activates FaceTime over cellular for all customers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53

4S restarted and still can not flip switch.

• Reply 22 of 53
    It's not working for me on my iPhone 5. I have reset and power cycled multiple times but I keep getting the "FaceTime requires and active Wi-Fi connection or an eligible cellular data plan. To enable FaceTime over cellular on this account, contact AT&T at 611 or visit HTTP://www.ATT.com/mywireless." I have turned my cellular data and Wi-Fi on and off as well but still nothing.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    cjcannaday wrote: »
    It's not working for me on my iPhone 5. I have reset and power cycled multiple times but I keep getting the "FaceTime requires and active Wi-Fi connection or an eligible cellular data plan. To enable FaceTime over cellular on this account, contact AT&T at 611 or visit HTTP://www.ATT.com/mywireless." I have turned my cellular data and Wi-Fi on and off as well but still nothing.

Have you tried to going to Settings » General » About first then power cycling the device?
  • Reply 24 of 53
    It worked for me by going to about and power cycling
  • Reply 25 of 53
    Never mind it's still not working
  • Reply 26 of 53

Not working for iPhone 5 in San Diego with grandfathered unlimited data. (No carrier update available, power cycled twice.)

Maybe they're rolling it out in waves?

• Reply 27 of 53

Could everyone please indicate what state they are in when they reply so we have an idea of what areas are working?image

• Reply 28 of 53
    Not working for me after a "power cycle" either on an iPhone 5 (unlimited plan)
  • Reply 29 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Good effing riddance AT&T. I dropped you last Friday just like I said I would on this and other forums, and when talking to two of your managers. You treated me like I was your slave, so don't be shocked by rebellion. I don't expect to look back.

Btw, it was a hard decision. I gave you every chance to treat me like a valued customer. But after five years and how many thousands of dollars paid you... Forget it. Have fun. I'm outtie.

I'm always shocked when I read comments like this. In my experience they offer great service and customer support has always been courteous, helpful and professional. I am very pleased with AT&T and I love the LTE speed. I have used them for many years in business and also personally switched from Verizon when the first iPhone came out. I keep wondering who this other evil AT&T is that I keep hearing about.

• Reply 30 of 53
    I tried both a reset and a power cycle of my iPhone 5 and it still won't turn on Facetime over Cellular. I called ATT and the word is that this does not apply to the unlimited data plans. You are incorrect in your statement.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Since AT&T already have a soft data cap for unlimited plan, this is the least they can do. 

Yep, and you'll hit it all the faster.

Not to mention all the folks that will rack up crazy overages. I wouldn't be shocked if the 'flip' this via a carrier update that requires you have iOS 6.0.1 as that fixed the rampant cell data use bug so you can't claim you didn't run up your bill with FaceTime calls
  • Reply 32 of 53
    tomhayes wrote: »
    Not working for iPhone 5 in San Diego with grandfathered unlimited data. (No carrier update available, power cycled twice.)

Maybe they're rolling it out in waves?

That was my thought also. They know folks will immediately make a call and tie up resources so they might be 'throttling' how many folks can turn it on in waves/batches
  • Reply 33 of 53

Tried ALL the suggestions above.

Not working here

iPhone 5

Grandfathered Unlimited data plan

New Jersey

1:15 PM EST on 11/21/12

I'll keep trying and checking back here    ...and all over the net.

• Reply 34 of 53
    For the folks who find it not working, you may have to restart several times. The first time I did it, it didn't change. The 2nd and 3rd time I did it, it changed briefly (for about 90 seconds) and then I watched as it went back to off.

The fourth time I rebooted, it came on and stayed on.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    I just called AT&T and ask them why my FaceTime not work. They told me it'll take from 8-10 weeks before I'll be able to use FaceTime. Fuçk AT&T!!! :no:
  • Reply 36 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexDeafy View Post

I just called AT&T and ask them why my FaceTime not work. They told me it'll take from 8-10 weeks before I'll be able to use FaceTime. Fuçk AT&T!!! image

Well the article did say:

Because the carrier has yet to make an announcement regarding its policy modification, the change may not yet be official, AppleInsider has reached out to AT&T and will report when a response is given.

• Reply 37 of 53
    I did a power cycle on a 4S, no love when I rebooted on unlimited data. :(
  • Reply 38 of 53
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fithian View Post

I tried both a reset and a power cycle of my iPhone 5 and it still won't turn on Facetime over Cellular. I called ATT and the word is that this does not apply to the unlimited data plans. You are incorrect in your statement.

Who is "incorrect" in their statement?

If you note a few people in this thread with grandfathered, unlimited plans have it working.

Also, plenty are reporting success over here -> http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1493540

Seems to be rolling out slowly & considering it is still not supposed to be started for another 6 weeks, I'd say now is pretty good.

• Reply 39 of 53

No luck in the ATL with iPhone 5 grandfathered unlimited -- turn off wifi at home and kept getting message to contact ATT -- I also have a MicroCell and will recheck out when out and have full LTE signal.....tried 3 power off / ons - no carrier update in General Settings.

• Reply 40 of 53

No luck in the ATL with iPhone 5 grandfathered unlimited -- turn off wifi at home and kept getting message to contact ATT -- I also have a MicroCell and will recheck out when out and have full LTE signal.....tried 3 power off / ons - no carrier update in General Settings.