Microsoft rumored to take on Apple TV with Xbox-branded set-top box in 2013

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't understand what's wrong with just using an XBox 360 console and calling it a day.

its huge and the interface sucks for things other than playing games. and most of the gaming market these days is for casual games and not the violent shoot/kill games like call of duty

the xbox has an arcade store full of casual games but they haven't pushed it that much over the last few years

i have a 360, PS3 and Apple TV and use the Apple TV more than the others. PS3 is only for  blu rays.

• Reply 22 of 62
    Microsoft's one real success this last decade has been it's X-Box & Live platforms. They are the leader in this area of online gaming and entertainment services. Nobody really even comes close. I guess what they're thinking with this alleged box is is that it'll be for those who want it's Live services without the hardcore gaming availability of a 360. Not really sure how successful it'll be however.
  • Reply 23 of 62

Another failure in the making

I knew I'd seen this before.

• Reply 24 of 62

Quote:

I don't understand what's wrong with just using an XBox 360 console and calling it a day.

MS don't want people just purchasing a 360 not then not purchasing games. I'm not sure they still make a loss but I don't think they make money from just the sale of the console. They need to produce a cheaper hardware device which they can make some money up front.

From a consumer/environmental point of view even the latest 360 uses about 25 times the amount of power compared to an ATV so it isn't a great choice just to watch Netflix.

• Reply 25 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScartArt View Post

MS don't want people just purchasing a 360 not then not purchasing games. I'm not sure they still make a loss but I don't think they make money from just the sale of the console. They need to produce a cheaper hardware device which they can make some money up front.

From a consumer/environmental point of view even the latest 360 uses about 25 times the amount of power compared to an ATV so it isn't a great choice just to watch Netflix.

ScartArt, that's how game companies make up their margins. They usually sell the console at cost or at a loss and make it up on the software end down the road.

• Reply 26 of 62
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

TV and media services? Google's at least on the right track IMO. If I could get this in my town it would be goodbye Verizon FiOS in a heartbeat. This is what I want

http://allthingsd.com/20121121/a-peek-at-tvs-future-via-google-fiber/

• Reply 27 of 62
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I would love to be able to be watching Netflix, and a box pop up telling me a I have a message or call. 

Right in the middle of the love scene a message pops up offering you a low, low refinance rate on your mortgage. Sounds like a nightmare.

• Reply 28 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wings View Post

That's one way to fix Windows' long boot times, just leave it on constantly.

How do I fix Mountain Lions long boot times?

• Reply 29 of 62
    It won't matter since Apple will come out with their own HDTV next year with Apple TV box built into it. So folks can buy that and hook the Xbox to it, but nobody will pay to watch movies via the Xbox since the capability will be built into the Apple HDTV.

Apple should put a bunch of HDMI ports, USB ports and more onto it so it will be the one HDTV to rule them all. And they'll welcome Xbox, WiiU, PlayStation and other consoles so long as you use an Apple HDTV.

Apple knows the add-on doo-hickey box that the current Apple TV, Roku, Google TV, etc days are numbered. Same as how they got out of the printer business.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    wings wrote: »

Windows 8 boots ups faster than OSX which is used only by a small number of computers.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    thinkknot wrote: »
    It won't matter since Apple will come out with their own HDTV next year with Apple TV box built into it. So folks can buy that and hook the Xbox to it, but nobody will pay to watch movies via the Xbox since the capability will be built into the Apple HDTV.
    Apple should put a bunch of HDMI ports, USB ports and more onto it so it will be the one HDTV to rule them all. And they'll welcome Xbox, WiiU, PlayStation and other consoles so long as you use an Apple HDTV.
    Apple knows the add-on doo-hickey box that the current Apple TV, Roku, Google TV, etc days are numbered. Same as how they got out of the printer business.

Because printers are obsolete and nobody uses them anymore.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I don't know if I'd use safari that much and the interface seems like it would be challenging to make useable (xboxs isn't that easy to me compared to an iPad or iPhone)... but messages and email notifications would be cool sometimes (not all the time). That said- if you have your phone or iPad by you, it's kind of double dipping. But App Store... Dear lord... that would be the best ever.

I agree not everybody wants or needs the same features. Adding an Apple TV app store would be my number one requested feature.

However, I don't always have my phone with me. When I do, I often times have it shut off. So, if people could do face time (Apple would need to make an accessory), messaging, and/or email via the Apple TV I think lots of people would find use of that. The X-Box does all that right now. It is all about expanding the IOS ecosystem. 

As far as Internet browsing goes, some people (not myself mind you) might want to check out the adult video sites. ;O) I have been told you can do this on the X-Box. :O)

• Reply 33 of 62

Originally Posted by Wings View Post

That would solve Windows 8's problem with being too stupid to remember that I have the WDDM 1.1 driver installed, kicking my screen back to 640x480 every time I boot into it.

Power draw, noise, 60% hardware failure rate…

Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

What long boot times?

Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Windows 8 boots ups faster than OSX which is used only by a small number of computers.

The first part is incorrect, the second part is completely irrelevant except to the Anti-Apple Brigade who has to pat themselves on the back any way they can to feel special.

• Reply 34 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Right in the middle of the love scene a message pops up offering you a low, low refinance rate on your mortgage. Sounds like a nightmare.

Yes, that would be annoying. Except iMessage only delivers text messages to the phone. To other OSX or iOS devices, it only delivers messages originating on other OSX or iOS devices. I have never received an ad through iMessage on my iPad or Mac. Moreover, I suspect if this feature ever comes about, like with iMessage, you could stop that problem through settings (e.g. only deliver Messages from people in my found in my contacts. 

Cable companies set top boxes already tell people when calls are coming through and who is calling (if they subscribe to the companies phone services). I think that is a useful feature because it tells me whether I should pick up the phone. 

• Reply 35 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Get a SSD drive. :O)

I just installed one on my late model 2009 aluminum Macbook running Mountain Lion. It boots in about 20 seconds. The Macbook is much faster than when I bought it. 

• Reply 36 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScartArt View Post

That part is absolutely true. The 360 gets real hot. 

• Reply 37 of 62
    tbell wrote: »
    That part is absolutely true. The 360 gets real hot. 

It gets hot rendering game graphics, I'm sure power usage goes way down when streaming video.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    What are you talking about? Even if ATV had an HBO-Go App, the carrier you use to access it would have to allow streaming over the box. I have a Roku with HBO-Go but it neither allows Direct TV, nor Time Warner Cable customers access to it. So what's the point of Apple adding a service you can't use?
    When Apple adds HBO Go it will be in a way nobody else is using it, and quite possibly a subscription service paid through Apple.

Deep breath there buddy. That's DirectTVs problem- not HBOs. So a lot of people can access it- just because YOU can't use it doesn't mean no one can. Besides, what are YOU talking about? Direct TV doesn't, but time Warner does.
    From Roku's page:

The following is a list of television providers that have authorized HBO GO on Roku:
    ATT U-verse
    Bend Broadband
    Blue Ridge Communications
    Bright House Networks
    Charter
    Cox
    Dish Network
    Grande Communications
    HTC Digital Cable
    Massillon Cable/Clear Picture
    Mediacom
    Midcontinent Communications
    Optimum
    RCN
    Suddenlink
    Time Warner Cable
    Verizon FiOS
    WOW!
    Atlantic Broadband (ABB)
    CenturyLink
    Insight

That's pretty much damned near everyone.... But you. And I sincerely doubt when Apple finally decides to add it that it'll be pay.

And yes, before anyone mentions it could be HBO holding it up- Apple is the hold up. Unless someone has information that HBO hates Apple but loves Microsoft, roku, boxee, and every single other set top box.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    tbell wrote: »

It is the only thing Microsoft has done recently that it has both done right and has a solid user base. I think Microsoft should have done like Apple and drop the Windows name all together for its phone and tablet OS. Microsoft somehow thinks the huge installed base of Windows correlates to people actually enjoying the product as opposed to having to use it or merely just accepting it. 

Microsoft should be spending a lot of time figuring out how to use the X-Box to sell its other products. 

I think that will happen when/if Windows Phone and RT get some marketshare. At this stage, I think that MS believes - true or false - that association with OS majority is using on home and work computers and familiarity of name will help reduce alienation of those platforms, at the price of some people being unhappy when they realise that Windows on phone is not really Windows on PC, regardless of name and same roots.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    andysol wrote: »
    That's pretty much damned near everyone.... But you. And I sincerely doubt when Apple finally decides to add it that it'll be pay.
    And yes, before anyone mentions it could be HBO holding it up- Apple is the hold up. Unless someone has information that HBO hates Apple but loves Microsoft, roku, boxee, and every single other set top box.

Obviously they don't because one can get HBO GO on their iPhone/iPod/iPad, and the iPad is shown on it's commercials.