Target and Best Buy giving out $50 and $60 gift cards with iPad, iPod touch purchases

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Discount retailer Target is giving away $60 gift cards with each iPad with Retina display purchase, while Best Buy is offering up a $50 gift card of its own with each new iPod touch. You can also get a $100 iTunes Gift Card for $80.

iPod Touch

As noted earlier in our Price Guides, Target is giving away a $60 gift card with each iPad purchase (excluding the iPad mini) while supplies last. Most of the 4th-generation iPads remain available for sale online, but the 16GB models have sold out and shoppers must go to a Target retail store for those models.

Meanwhile, Best Buy is serving up $50 gift cards with the purchase of the latest generation iPod touch (all colors) ($294.99) and 4th generation iPod touch ($194.99). A similar deal on the iPod nano throws in a $20 gift card ($194.99).

Also, as in years past, Best Buy is selling $100 iTunes Gift Cards for $80.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16

Since Apple and their resellers are offering discounts on pretty much everything except the Mini, it seems like they're selling pretty well at the price they're at. Wonder what the haters think about that haha.

• Reply 2 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

Since Apple and their resellers are offering discounts on pretty much everything except the Mini, it seems like they're selling pretty well at the price they're at. Wonder what the haters think about that haha.

IMO it's the opposite. The high margin product, the iPad4, just came out last month, and it's already more than 10% off ($60 of $499). the iPad3, has been selling at $379 for a long time and still not sold out. We're talking about big hit on the margin this holiday season for the iPads, except the iPad minis, but that's already a low revenue product starting at $329. 

All these is unprecedented for AAPL and certainly not good news. 

• Reply 3 of 16

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

The high margin product, the iPad4, just came out last month, and it's already more than 10% off ($60 of $499).

It's Black frigging Friday. Even Apple has it $40-60 off. What's the big deal?

…the iPad3, has been selling at $379 for a long time and still not sold out.

Yeah, they made a dang lot and people bought a dang lot. No retailer expected Apple to break their yearly cycle, so they had a bunch of stock left.

We're talking about big hit on the margin this holiday season for the iPads…

The same "hit" taken every single year.

All these is unprecedented for AAPL…

Does 'unprecedented' mean 'happens every year' now?

• Reply 4 of 16
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

If anyone ears about an iTunes gift card special in Canada I am interested.  I need to reload. Needs about 200$ worth.

• Reply 5 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's Black frigging Friday. Even Apple has it $40-60 off. What's the big deal?

Yeah, they made a dang lot and people bought a dang lot. No retailer expected Apple to break their yearly cycle, so they had a bunch of stock left.

The same "hit" taken every single year.

Does 'unprecedented' mean 'happens every year' now?

Well, I think we all know that during past years, iPads were only sold for 10% off tops on Black Friday that's it. This year is different, as from what I listed above, we're talking about more than 10% hit for iPad4 and way more than 10% hit on iPad3, and a new lower margin product in iPad mini. So, obviously it's not the same as 'happens every year' like you claimed. 

• Reply 6 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

If anyone ears about an iTunes gift card special in Canada I am interested.  I need to reload. Needs about 200$ worth.

London Drugs is doing it here in Saskatchewan at least

• Reply 7 of 16

Well, I think we all know that during past years, iPads were only sold for 10% off tops on Black Friday that's it.

Which is exactly what they are now; what's your point? Are you even looking at what is being offered this year?

• Reply 8 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Which is exactly what they are now; what's your point? Are you even looking at what is being offered this year?

I give up. How's 60/499 or 379/499 10% off? 

• Reply 9 of 16
    They're also taking 60 dollars off iPad 4's at best buy, plus 150 bucks off MacBooks, which beats the pants off Apple's ridiculous Blaxk Friday "sale."
  • Reply 10 of 16

Merchants always beat Apple stores rebates. Last year in Canada it was stamples who had the best ipads rebate.

The ipad3 is a discontinued product so i am not sure whats youre point? If you want to imply that Apple is in some kind of trouble and needs to make bigger rebates this year you are dead wrong imo...
  • Reply 11 of 16
    cash907 wrote: »
    They're also taking 60 dollars off iPad 4's at best buy, plus 150 bucks off MacBooks, which beats the pants off Apple's ridiculous Blaxk Friday "sale."

Last year rebate was 50$ off all ipads and 100$ off all macbooks, thats pretty close imo. We still need to wait to see this year rebates. Btw merchants have a cut on itunes cards so a 60$ gift card is the same as a 50$ rebate for them...

Of course the 100$ or 50$ rebates are bigger percentage wise on the lowest price items.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

IMO it's the opposite. The high margin product, the iPad4, just came out last month, and it's already more than 10% off ($60 of $499). the iPad3, has been selling at $379 for a long time and still not sold out. We're talking about big hit on the margin this holiday season for the iPads, except the iPad minis, but that's already a low revenue product starting at $329. 

All these is unprecedented for AAPL and certainly not good news. 

You do understand, every year on Black Friday Apple and/or its partners marks down most of Apple's products, right? The iPad Mini isn't going to get marketed down because 1) it just got released, and 2) Apple is struggling to ramp up its world wide production. This is nothing new. We aren't seeing the iPhone 5 discounted either. It is like last year, the older models are marked down temporarily. 

• Reply 13 of 16

I wonder if Best Buy will honor the deals like they did last year.

• Reply 14 of 16
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

They are not giving you $60 or $50 off an iPad. They are giving you $50 or $60 to spend in their store AFTER you pay full price for the iPad. So this discount is coming out of the retailer not Apple.

Apple is still getting paid for these iPads/iPods.. etc the same amount of money they alway get.

• Reply 15 of 16
    IMO it's the opposite. The high margin product, the iPad4, just came out last month, and it's already more than 10% off ($60 of $499). . 

At some reseller shop, not Apple. Which just means they cut it a bit more to lure folks to them rather than Apple. Loss leader tactics on Black Friday are an indication of nothing.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Don’t feed the trolls. They ate too much yesterday.

(This year’s iPad discounts are identical to last year’s: $41/$51/$61 US.)