Online Apple Store goes down ahead of one-day Black Friday sale [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's online storefront went down late Thursday in preparation of its annual Black Friday sale, which is expected to bring moderate savings on some of the company's most popular products.

Black Friday

Apple first sent emails teasing the upcoming sale on Monday, but the company has yet no name which models will be discounted and at what price.

A number of certified resellers have also announced deep discount pricing on Macs, iPads and software, including an already-launched sale by MacMall. Big-box retailer Best Buy is offering a $50 gift card with the purchase of any new iPod Touch, while Target is giving away $80 gift cards with every iPad (excluding the iPad mini).

For more information on the most current deals, visit AppleInsider's price guide.

Update: The online store is back online advertising the following deals:
    Macs
  • MacBook Pro with Retina Display - From $1598
  • MacBook Pro - From $1098
  • MacBook Air - From $898
    iPad
  • iPad with Retina Display - From $458
  • iPad 2 - From $368
    iPods
  • iPod touch - From $268
  • iPod touch (4th gen) - From $178
  • iPod nano - From $138
    AirPort and Time Capsule
  • AirPort Express - $88
  • AirPort Extreme - $158
  • Time Capsule - From $278
Accessories
Various iPad, iPod and Mac accessories from $7 to $11 off regular prices.

The dedicated webpage for the specials can be found here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Wouldn't it be great if they had both 21.5" and 27" iMac's for purchase tomorrow?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I've been waiting since 2006. Mine's ancient by most standards :D
  • Reply 3 of 9
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

I don't understand why the Store goes down for so long. You'd think in today's world, Apple would have everything ready before the magic time and would just have to flip a switch for the changes to go live. 

• Reply 4 of 9
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tbell wrote: »
    I don't understand why the Store goes down for so long. You'd think in today's world, Apple would have everything ready before the magic time and would just have to flip a switch for the changes to go live. 

One hypothesis I have is that it builds suspense thereby creating free marketing. It's 11pm at night on Thanksgiving evening and we're discussing the article about it on a forum.

That said, they also bring it down for what turns out to be routine maintenance on weekends in the middle of the night. That doesn't scuttle my hypothesis but it does mean there is likely something else going on, like some archaic software for their system. Amazon can have its prices change with every refresh so why can't Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I've been waiting since 2006. Mine's ancient by most standards :D

There was a 2006?

When the hell did this happen?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    andreyandrey Posts: 108member
    No deals on mini, only $31-41 off on regular falls short to last year's $50. Does Apple hired Scrooge McDuck? :???:
  • Reply 7 of 9

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

There was a 2006?

When the hell did this happen?

Back in aught five, roundabout December.

Originally Posted by Andrey View Post

Does Apple hired Scrooge McDuck?

Tim McCook, you mean. Apple has done this as their Black Friday deal since time immemorial. If it's a shock to someone, they need to get over it.

• Reply 8 of 9
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Tim McCook, you mean. Apple has done this as their Black Friday deal since time immemorial. If it's a shock to someone, they need to get over it.

It seems the desirability of the discounts has gone down. It might be to appease third party retailers. Being a retailer and a distributor can put you in an awkward position.
  • Reply 9 of 9

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It seems the desirability of the discounts has gone down. It might be to appease third party retailers. Being a retailer and a distributor can put you in an awkward position.

The resellers always have better deals, year-round. Apple shouldn't short their one day of the year when you can get a BTO Mac for crazy less.

AND WHAT'S WITH THE MAC MINI NOT GETTING A DEAL?! They never give it one. It's left out of the "free iPod/iTunes gift card" deal for B2S, it's left out of Black Friday…

I think they should have discounted the iMac. Still have no way to buy one, but discount it. image