Installing a PCI card into a 9600

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
As recommended in a post below, I got the Keyspan USB PCI card for my 9600.

I've been trying to install it but can't seem to get the card all the way into the slot since the metal top of the card which screws the card into place is preventing it from going down any further. The card says it should work with any PCI computer.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    how is it preventing it? what is it getting caught on?

is the same for all 6 slots?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    ericeric Posts: 25member
    It's the same for all six slots....

This is what the issue is: You know the metal edge of a PCI card that sticks out so that it can be screwed to the computer? This edge is hitting the ledge that it is supposed to screw into before the card is all the way into the slot. Basically, the metal edge of the card is contacting the ledge on the computer that it screws into which is preventing the card from being pressed far enough down into the slot.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Simple solution: cheap PCI cards often have that problem, the solution is as easy as the price was on the pocket:

Fit it as far as possible, then just screw it in.

If the distance is too big to even fit the screw, you have to use brute force and bend the metal into shape, so that it will fit. May need some tools to do so, pliers work fine.

Note: This is not bullshit, I know what I'm talking about.

G-News
  • Reply 4 of 11
    yea, I had the same problem with a soundblaster in my G4 and another card in my 9500.

I just screwed it in as tight as I could and I eventally got it to fit.

If you'd like, I'm sure Keyspan would be willing to swap a new card with you
  • Reply 5 of 11
    nope... I have the opposite problem. The card screws in. But the chip is sitting too high and isnt far enough into the slot that connects it to the CPU. I need to make the card go lower but the metal end is hitting the plate it screws into and preventing this.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    oh I see. definitely seems like a defective card. all PCI slots are the same height so it defnitely can't be 9600 specific. Call Keyspan and have them replace it.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    you could also saw off the plate so that it goes lower

[ 12-24-2001: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 11
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Blowtorch it baby!

• Reply 9 of 11
    Thanks. This certainly a pain in the ass since they are not in today, won't be till atleast Wednesday, and I can't use my new printer or digital camera until this damn card is installed. Bastards!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    just trim the metal on the PCI card. i do it all the time with cards that don't fit, or won't stay tight. won't really do anything to them, just don't kick your machine while they aren't screwed in, they can work loose.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    interesting strategy...

I'll call Keyspan first and keep that in the back of my head.

Thanks