iTunes digital cards arrive as gift option on Facebook

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Starting Monday, customers of Facebook Gifts can purchase iTunes digital gift cards while recommending content to friends and family on the social networking site.

iTunes digital gifts are now available through Facebook Gifts in sizes of $10, $15, $25, or $50. Customers can choose their gift, then recommend an artist or album, games, movies, apps or other content from Apple's digital storefront.

The iTunes digital gift can be used to purchase music, movies, TV shows, games, apps and any other content available from Apple's iTunes Store.

Facebook Gifts are the latest effort by the social networking site to monetize its 1 billion active monthly users. Users are invited to use Facebook Gifts to "celebrate birthdays, new jobs and other big moments."

Facebook

Facebook Gifts are not yet available to all users of the site, but the feature is advertised as "coming soon." With the gifting service, users can buy an item for a friend, and that person is notified about their gift instantly through Facebook.

While Facebook Gifts are available for digital content like Apple's iTunes, it can also be used for physical items that can be delivered directly to a friend's door.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I can see this being used a lot for gifting to kids
  • Reply 2 of 8
    This looks like a big win for Facebook and Apple. Do they offer the same for google play or amazon?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Too bad Apple went to all the trouble to integrate Facebook into ML when Facebook apparently doesn't care much for Apple.

http://mashable.com/2012/11/25/facebook-iphone-android/

Droidfood

• Reply 4 of 8

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Too bad Apple went to all the trouble to integrate Facebook into ML when Facebook apparently doesn't care much for Apple.

BA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

News flash, fertilizer shipments to outstrip iPhone; fertilizer must be the hot new item. Switch to… 

Please tell me someone gets it.

• Reply 5 of 8
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    You should have seen survey companies' earlier projections for Windows Phone overtaking iOS.

Sales forecast is a discrete function. Not a continuous one because it is event driven. As per usual, those same companies will adjust their numbers after the fact.

EDIT:
    A large part of those Android numbers are in China and India where Apple only has low single digit share. To my knowledge, Facebook is blocked in China. And majority of Indian cheap phone users are not interested in digital sales or FB. They are more likely to get "free" content or buy low cost products.

Secondly, those are shipment numbers. Meaning they can be over shipped, followed by so called stock balancing where the carriers and resellers give back unsold items in exchange for newer ones for free, or at a steep discount. These newer shipment again are recorded as newer sales and the companies report them as "making progress".
  • Reply 6 of 8
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

BA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

News flash, fertilizer shipments to outstrip iPhone; fertilizer must be the hot new item. Switch to… 

I should know.  I can dish out a bunch of shit and people still don't buy it.

• Reply 7 of 8
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member

I have about had it with all the recommendations that show up on my facebook.  This will only become worse as people get incentives to make recommendatons.

Unless there is a way to block these recommendations I will likely be terminating my facebook accnt.

• Reply 8 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

OK... I get it, so will pander to your "across the pond" sense of *humor  ;~)

*Note American spelling of humour.