Samsung looks to add 4th-gen iPad, iPad mini to upcoming patent infringement suit

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    I suggest Apple should immediately launch a 4.x and 5.x inch iPhone display to kill Shamesuck which is living in the gap that Apple gives it .

Shamesuck is too shame not to copy iPhone design and still barks without Shame !!!

This is the only way to make Shamesuck shut up !!!
  • Reply 22 of 35

"Duh!" An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. At this rate, innovation will take a beating.

• Reply 23 of 35
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    LL

I love all the different parallels in this image.

and yes great artists steal, good artists copy. and yes Apple Inc. Is a great artist, and owns their ideas they come up with, problem for SAMSUNG is that they are only a good artist, and are using the courts to make them a great artist.

BTW, tallestskil, where is the image credit?... going under the "fair use" copyright thing right?... but in any case how about crediting the source?.. (movie, image, etc)

.. so you are a great artist which is evident thought the lack credit of the original image.../sarcasm.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except Apple isn't a colossal asshole like Tony Stark and makes products that actually help people instead of kill them.  

This is a picture of two war mongering assholes trying to out-asshole each other.  I would argue that in the Samsung v. Apple debate, Apple actually has done no wrong and is closer to a humble purveyor of pots and pans than it is to an egomaniacal, money-grubbing killer like Stark.  

• Reply 25 of 35
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Except Apple isn't a colossal asshole like Tony Stark and makes products that actually help people instead of kill them.  

This is a picture of two war mongering assholes trying to out-asshole each other.  I would argue that in the Samsung v. Apple debate, Apple actually has done no wrong and is closer to a humble purveyor of pots and pans than it is to an egomaniacal, money-grubbing killer like Stark.  

I seem to recall the films noting that Tony Stark thought he was making weapons to protect Americans and when he found out his company was double-dealing and selling those very weapons to terrorists he reduced that part of his company which is why Obadiah Stane decided to take the Arc Reactor from Tony's chest in that scene.

Now, maybe I'm missing something but that seems to me the opposite of Tony trying to be a more out-assholing, money-grubbing killer-warmonger than Obadiah.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I seem to recall the films noting that Tony Stark thought he was making weapons to protect Americans and when he found out his company was double-dealing and selling those very weapons to terrorists he reduced that part of his company which is why Obadiah Stane decided to take the Arc Reactor from Tony's chest in that scene.
    Now, maybe I'm missing something but that seems to me the opposite of Tony trying to be a more out-assholing, money-grubbing killer-warmonger than Obadiah.

Correct. Stark was cocky and arrogant, but when he discovered his weapons were being used to create wars instead of as a deterrence to War Iron Man was born beyond the device to free him from capture.

The sadistic a-hole was his father's partner working off the books and outside Stark's purview [easy enough when you're busy designing at home and entertaining a lavish life style.
  • Reply 27 of 35

Originally Posted by haar View Post

and yes great artists steal, good artists copy. and yes Apple Inc. Is a great artist, and owns their ideas they come up with, problem for SAMSUNG is that they are only a good artist, and are using the courts to make them a great artist.

BTW, tallestskil, where is the image credit?... going under the "fair use" copyright thing right?... but in any case how about crediting the source?.. (movie, image, etc)

.. so you are a great artist which is evident thought the lack credit of the original image.../sarcasm.

What is the purpose of this post other than try (fail) to spin your erroneous conclusion on me?

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Right, it's more within the context of just what's in the image. Here you have Stark (Jobs), creator and protector of miniaturized fusion (the iPhone), and along comes Stane (Samsung) and literally (and figuratively) rips his heart right out of his chest.

• Reply 28 of 35
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpadhiyar View Post

"Duh!" An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. At this rate, innovation will take a beating.

Nonsense - stealing and copying is not innovation.

• Reply 29 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    freerange wrote: »
    Nonsense - stealing and copying is not innovation.

Have you seen Oceans 11? That was a very innovative heist.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Samsung has been ordered to pay $1.05 Billion in damages to Apple. In addition, they will lose the processor contract in 2014 from Apple, which is a $4 billion dollar opportunity, and and roughly 4% of their annual business. This failure to find a common road with Apple, has also given TSMC the desire and ability to open a large manufacturing plant in the US, not only to service Apple, but its other customers as well. This will up the ante in terms of competition against Samsung, and could cost them even more down the road in lost opportunity. This is just the beginning. If I were a Samsung shareholder, I'd want Jong-kyun's head on a stick.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    cmvsm wrote: »
    Samsung has been ordered to pay $1.05 Billion in damages to Apple. In addition, they will lose the processor contract in 2014 from Apple, which is a $4 billion dollar opportunity, and and roughly 4% of their annual business. This failure to find a common road with Apple, has also given TSMC the desire and ability to open a large manufacturing plant in the US, not only to service Apple, but its other customers as well. This will up the ante in terms of competition against Samsung, and could cost them even more down the road in lost opportunity. This is just the beginning. If I were a Samsung shareholder, I'd want Jong-kyun's head on a stick.

I agree with that but I'd add a couple things. By 2014 (not to mention moving forward) Apple's need for their custom ASIC will have grown considerably which would mean even more revenue and profit for Samsung. That said, Samsung has shown itself to be many things, good and bad, but one very good thing about them has been their ability to be a fast, efficient foundry with great yields within a specific performance and power envelope. That is something that Samsung has been top dog and I'm not sure TMSC can figure out in just over a year.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Chastise Samsung if you will. Their strategy is working extremely well. That's what matters most in business.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    LL

Stark: the only one coming to my mind is my round corners. :D
  • Reply 34 of 35
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Chastise Samsung if you will. Their strategy is working extremely well. That's what matters most in business.

Strategy? Oh, you mean the ones that will cost Samsung billions in future revenue? Yeah, great strategy. It would be one thing if there was a another customer like Apple to take its place, but they are irreplaceable in this current market. That's $4 billion in lost revenue, not including the billion they have to pay in damages. If you lost 4% of your company's revenue in a two year swing, you'd be employed about as long as it took you to reach the exit. As I said before, they've also given other companies the ability to get a production foothold, that may not bite them in the short run, as they learn to ramp up, but it most likely will in the long run. Furthermore, other future costs against Samsung may come in the form of companies not wanting to do business with them for fear of patent violations and competitive litigation. If they are willing to do it to a giant like Apple, then why not piss on the little guy when they get the opportunity? So, if this sounds like a good strategy to you, then I certainly wouldn't want you across the company boardroom from me carving out future plans for growth.

• Reply 35 of 35
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

Strategy? Oh, you mean the ones that will cost Samsung billions in future revenue? Yeah, great strategy. It would be one thing if there was a another customer like Apple to take its place, but they are irreplaceable in this current market. That's $4 billion in lost revenue, not including the billion they have to pay in damages.

The suggestion that this is a 100% loss is just plain silly, and I think you already knew that. It's not like they're going to keep these facilities up and running but unused for several consecutive quarters. If they are growing fast enough, the capacity will be used for something as it would likely take less time to re-purpose lines than it would to build new facilities. It's questionable whether Samsung could hold onto Apple indefinitely regardless of litigation. They may try to distance themselves from competitors. If LG became a real threat, we'd just read about more battles.