Transfering files from PC to iBook via Ethernet, how?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How do I transfer files directly from a PC to an iBook. Have the ethernet crossover cable not what?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    install an nice little program called DAVE from Thursby (spelling?) and you're up and runnig with an ethernet cable in notime...

You don't need a crossover cable if you've got the new ibook 'cause the crossover function is built in.

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: New ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 7
    some versions of win2k also have appletalk drivers, if that's the case, no dave necessary.

i know they're on win2k prof. server, not sure about other releases.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by New:

<strong>install an nice little program called DAVE from Thursby (spelling?) and you're up and runnig with an ethernet cable in notime...

You don't need a crossover cable if you've got the new ibook 'cause the crossover function is built in.

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: New ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you are running OS X then you don't need to buy any software. Setup an account for yourself on the PC. In OS X from the finder select GO then Connect to Server. Now enter:

smb://domain;username assword@server/drive

substituting the correct values for the above labels.

Drive is the sharepoint or volume name being shared.

There are some variations on this. You can leave some parts off and you will be prompted for them if needed.

I hadn't heard that iBooks do not need cross cables. Cool if correct.

Anyway, once it has connected an icon appears on your desktop. Double click it to open it. Drag things off the PC window as needed.

Be sure to eject the icon before disconnecting or shutting down the PC.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I thought that stuff only worked with PC-servers? can I do it with an ordinary PC too, let's say ME for instance?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    You could install the Microsoft personal web server, and turn on FTP services on the windows machine. I'm not sure if they make the person web server for anything more than win98, but it could work.

I ran into the same problem downloading files from my parents' PC and then trying to transfer them to my iBook. I have Virtual PC though and just set up file sharing on the both of them, which would be much easier than without VPC. DAVE will probably be your best bet, but it's not free.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Download the demo of PCMacLan. Install the software on the PC, turn on filesharing on the Mac.

go to town!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    There is 1 other thing you can do. if you have a ethernet hub hook both comps up set up a ftp,hl,web what ever server and login with the comp you wont to move it to and download.