GM will be first automaker to use Apple's 'Eyes Free' Siri integration

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
General Motors on Tuesday announced that it will be integrating Apple's new "Eyes Free" Siri mode in two of its cars early next year, making it the first car maker in the world to implement the technology in a commercial product.

As noted by The Next Web, GM announced during the Los Angeles International Auto Show that the Chevrolet Spark (1LT and 2LT) and Sonic LTZ and RS models will sport the new Siri integration when they roll off the assembly line "early next year."

Interestingly, the feature, which is part of Chevy's MyLink infotainment system and will be compatible with an iPhones running iOS 6, is slated to debut in two sub-compact cars rather than a model from one of GM's luxury marquees like Cadillac.

?Safe, easy, reliable and portable connectivity is a top priority for our customers, and Siri complements MyLink?s existing capabilities to help deliver an incredible driving experience,? said Cristi Landy, Chevrolet marketing director for small cars.

Announced as a new Siri feature in iOS 6, Apple's "Eyes Free" allows a user to an iPhone as well as certain vehicle amenities strictly by using voice commands. For example, a driver can simply ask Siri to play a song or make a call, all without taking their eyes off the road.

It was reported in June that GM would be integrating Eyes Free in the Spark and Sonic, but the automotive giant fell short of announcing a specific launch window. Eight other car makers have partnered with Apple to introduce similar systems in the near future, including BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Land Rover, Jaguar, Audi, Toyota, Chrysler and Honda.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Perhaps the remaining car companies like the Yugo and Trabant will integrate with Android.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    You know, If GM had kept up with technology like Apple has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon...

;)
  • Reply 3 of 18
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

And if Boeing had kept up with technology like Apple has, this would be the MacBook Air (complete with iCloud backup):

• Reply 4 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Perhaps the remaining car companies like the Yugo and Trabant will integrate with Android.

I see ancient Trabants all the time in Prague.  I think they're kinda high end for an Android system though. :)

Maybe it could be a feature for those poor people that still want to pimp out there Traby like this one in Budapest....

• Reply 5 of 18
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    And yet some pundits think Apple has peaked like the moron publisher of Forbes magazine the other day. Idiots abound.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    lets make this Apple Integration backwards compatible with my 2012 GMC Terrain Please!
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Is there a description of exactly what "eyes free" is? I can already play a song or make a call without looking at the phone. Is this anything more than integration with a button?
  • Reply 8 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

You know, If GM had kept up with technology like Apple has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon...

I'm not going to trade in my 1995 Mustang until I can get a driver-less Google car.

• Reply 9 of 18
    ifij775 wrote: »
    I'm not going to trade in my 1995 Mustang until I can get a driver-less Google car.

Google car? Have them dictate where you will be going, as they 'know every thought you have'?

PS: Why is GM using an old iPhone?
  • Reply 10 of 18
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    I'm about to get a new company car- would love eyes free- but wow- those cars are tiny. Wish they did it across the line in 2013. Oh well
  • Reply 11 of 18

Siri has a long way to go before the iPhone can be eyes free.

• Reply 12 of 18
    andysol wrote: »
    I'm about to get a new company car- would love eyes free- but wow- those cars are tiny. Wish they did it across the line in 2013. Oh well

Tiny indeed. Maybe the other brands will have larger cars:

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/11/27/general-motors-to-become-first-car-maker-to-integrate-apples-siri-into-new-spark-and-sonic-models/

"BMW, Toyota, Mercedes-Benz, Honda, and Audi have also confirmed they will integrate Siri with their vehicle’s electronics system, allowing access to the mobile assistant using a steering wheel button."
  • Reply 13 of 18
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Going for the techie kids, who will be attracted to these smaller more affordable cars, first to work out the kinks and support issues. Car companies are starting to roll out tech support desks at dealerships to blunt the tech-shock when an oldie gets a car that needs more computer savy than their feature phone... I believe Ford is moving with that sort of program to push back on some of the bad reviews where people can't handle their onboard tech.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Re: "...slated to debut in two sub-compact cars rather than a model from one of GM's luxury marquees like Cadillac."

Two possible reasons: younger more tech-savvy buyers, and larger sales numbers because of lower cost. High-end luxury brands like Cadillac tend to sell into an older, less-technophilic demographic. And putting Eyes Free into lower-cost mass-market cars will get it into a larger number of vehicles on the road.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Drive through Genius* Bars anyone?

* Gods how I hate that name.

• Reply 16 of 18
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    As a GM and Apple fan I say yay for this! :D
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Umm, why isn't this in the 2013 Camaro?! It also has MyLink!!!
  • Reply 18 of 18
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Are there any systems yet that fully integrate a smartphone?

In other words, that allow us to use the car's instrument console touchscreen to display and interact with our smartphone over Bluetooth or WiFi or cable?

E.g. view our apps on the car's screen.  Bring up weather or news, etc (not using Sirius).

I know there's some Pandora stuff.   I also know about the Android-based dual-DIN radios out there, but those are standalone.

(I could've sworn that Sony was talking about intergrating this way.  ??)

Thanks to anyone who knows or has links!