iPhone 5 doubles Apple's share of US smartphone sales to surpass Android

Comments

• Reply 21 of 114

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Keep thinking this is the same as the PC vs Mac days.

Let's see, Apple creates an industry, creates a category-defining and -leading product, sells a lot of said product, and then someone comes along and straight up steals everything that Apple has done and sells it to the lowest bidder, who punches out bargain bin crap to flood the market and atrophy Apple's sales of quality product.

YEAH, THAT'S TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

• Reply 22 of 114
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,250member

Quote:

I had forgotten... Apple doesn't care about sales.

The damn thing about this is that for every Android phone sold an iPhone is not sold and in parts of Europe it looks like Apple is approaching zero sales. Do you really think that Tim Cook doesn't give a shit about this.

I believe Mr. Cook cares about all sales but Apple isn't going to create a cheap version of anything they produce. If that's what it takes to put an iPhone in every German's hand, Apple isn't going to do it. The Android phone manufacturers don't care about their products, that's obvious. As for Android, lumping all Android phones together means nothing since I doubt Google gets any income from the OS. Therefore, this whole analysis is bogus since it doesn't compare iPhones to other phone manufacturers. 

• Reply 23 of 114
    allenbf wrote: »
    Haha!

It was a joke, lighten up.  None of this matters, really.

I didn't say I want Apple to have 2% of sales in Europe.  But I'll leave that to the big boys at Apple to worry about.  If I want to invest, I do. I I want to sell, I do.  In the meantime, I enjoy my iPhone, iPad, Mac, etc etc etc because they're a vastly superior experience (to me).

I notice that you've changed your story a bit.
  • Reply 24 of 114

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Let's see, Apple creates an industry, creates a category-defining and -leading product, sells a lot of said product, and then someone comes along and straight up steals everything that Apple has done and sells it to the lowest bidder, who punches out bargain bin crap to flood the market and atrophy Apple's sales of quality product.

Apple cannot keep up with demand, it's irrelevant. Who cares...

• Reply 25 of 114

Oh, yes, that's exactly how it is... :lol:
  • Reply 26 of 114
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    People forget that Europeans are for the most part, poorer than the average person in the USA. Even in Germany, people look for less expensive products. And in many places, the SIII is now going for $99 with a contract, and is cheaper than the iPhone 5 off contract.

So for people wanting the latest phone, Samsung has a better fit if money is an issue. Unless Apple does something about this, they will not have the kind of marketshare outside the US, and possibly Canada and England that they would like.

But how does Apple bring out a top model for considerably less money? It's difficult to see. They've committed themselves to expensive materials, and expensive manufacturing methods. If they drop back from that, how will consumers react?
  • Reply 27 of 114
    rob53 wrote: »
    I believe Mr. Cook cares about all sales but Apple isn't going to create a cheap version of anything they produce. If that's what it takes to put an iPhone in every German's hand, Apple isn't going to do it. The Android phone manufacturers don't care about their products, that's obvious. As for Android, lumping all Android phones together means nothing since I doubt Google gets any income from the OS. Therefore, this whole analysis is bogus since it doesn't compare iPhones to other phone manufacturers. 

Lumping all Android phones together?

I think you better reread the story.
  • Reply 28 of 114

Quote:

I notice that you've changed your story a bit.

Not a bit, friend.  I'm just correcting your assumption that I care NOTHING about market share.  I just said I care MORE about profits and the bottom line.  If you'll read above, you'll see that I stated that Google WILL dominate the market, worldwide.  Attribute that to multiple hardware companies choosing Android because of it's openness and easily customize-able OS.

Doesn't change the fact that Apple's profits are doing quite well and will continue to do so, as long as they continue to make a quality product/experience.

• Reply 29 of 114

Oh, yes, that's exactly how it is...

So either explain how I'm wrong or bow to the truth.

• Reply 30 of 114
    All this crap talk about Europeans and people seem to forget about one particular detail: we don't have subsidized iPhones in many places here, Apple isn't willing to walk the extra step to work with carriers, and carriers don't care enough because most people here prefer prepaid services. As I write this, I'm still waiting for tethering support on the iPad. I've instructed my carrier (Vodafone) on the exact steps that they must take in order to enable it, but from what I'm told, they can't update the profiles to a version that supports the iPad (12.1) without Apple.
  • Reply 31 of 114
    jason98 wrote: »
    I believe s3 is sold around $350 unsubsidized there
    Are you kidding?
  • Reply 32 of 114

Quote:

Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

Are you kidding?

both have similar prices.

the only justification is that people are stupid, since the iphone is superior in every single way.

• Reply 33 of 114
    People in China think I'm rich because I have an iPhone. They are very surprised when I tell them that in the U.S. whether you get an iPhone or another smartphone, it's basically the same price. In most of the world, if you want an iPhone, you're going to be ponying up a lot more than for your genetic Android device.

How many Americans would buy an iPhone for $700 if they could get a different phone for $200 or $300?
  • Reply 34 of 114
    both have similar prices.

the only justification is that people are stupid, since the iphone is superior in every single way.

Maybe the app support in Europe is not as big as in the US, so they probably have no need to go for the higher priced device.
  • Reply 35 of 114

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

Maybe the app support in Europe is not as big as in the US, so they probably have no need to go for the higher priced device.

No, nothing like that. Samsung is everywhere around here. TV, adverts, football ads, microwaves, washing machines, fridges... and people fall for their hype, so: S3 buyers are stupid, there's 0 logic for buying a s3.

• Reply 36 of 114

dang!!! you sounded like mitt romney.

• Reply 37 of 114

When your the best, you don't give it away. 

• Reply 38 of 114
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The other thing is that around the world, Android is still on more carriers. Not so much in Europe anymore though. But look at China. 700 million people with China Mobile. The other two big carriers together just have 400 million. That's a big unbalance. And the 5 hasn't reached them yet either.
  • Reply 39 of 114

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Apple isn't willing to walk the extra step to work with carriers…

BZZT. Nope. You don't have subsidized phones because… that's the carriers' choice. It's ALL on them. The phones are unlocked because your laws require it. There's nothing preventing carriers from subsidizing.

• Reply 40 of 114
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I guess you did not get my point. Apple needs a second iPhone line to address Europe. This starts smelling like Mac vs PC of 90s except for the fact that iPhone is down to platform choice #3 in some countries. Not good.

Just because people in Europe are looking for bargain basement technology so that they can continue to afford European-produced luxury cars and artisanal food in the face of economic downturn doesn't mean that Apple should change the quality of products they produce.  Should Mercedes Benz try to compete with GM or Ford for North American market share?