G4 Yikes can't use new drives

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Help... I am unable to add a new hard drive. The original 10gig burned up. 4 replacements later and none of them can be addressed. the 4 trials where ata100 40 gig or larger. The G4 yikes has a build-in ata33 chip set. Board speed is 100mhz. Can I add any pci pc ata100 controller card or am I forced to spend 4 times as much for a mac specific version. Or do I have other options for using these new drives? Please help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by rankfart:

<strong>Help... I am unable to add a new hard drive. The original 10gig burned up. 4 replacements later and none of them can be addressed. the 4 trials where ata100 40 gig or larger. The G4 yikes has a build-in ata33 chip set. Board speed is 100mhz. Can I add any pci pc ata100 controller card or am I forced to spend 4 times as much for a mac specific version. Or do I have other options for using these new drives? Please help.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've never heard of an ATA drive not being backwards-compatible. Even my new WD1000BB (100 GB ATA-100) works fine in my 'old' beige G3/300.

Make sure you're setting the jumpers properly. And you're going to need to boot from a CD, and use Drive Setup to initialize the drive.

Good luck!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    enderender Posts: 353member
    Or the depressing scenario: it wasn't the drive. It is a problem with your ATA controller/cables/motherboard. Those drives should all work in your machine, as long as you have the jumpers set to master and the drive connected on the first available plug on the ribbon. Make sure the power cable is in tight too, sometimes those can be a real pain in the ass to get in there. Regardless of whether the computer recognizes the drive or not, the drive should spin up at startup as long as the power is connected.

-Ender
  • Reply 3 of 4
    enderender Posts: 353member
    Just had another thought:

the hard drive will work on the other ATA bus in your computer (ATAPI). You can put the hard drive in the zip slot in the front of the tower and then if it still doesn't work, it's almost definitely the drive. If it does work there though, the problem would seem to lie in the controller.

-Ender
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Try this worked for all my friends. reset the pram and there is a 50% chance it will work.