I'm about to smash my computer

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm making this page for a guy where I have to edit about 1000 pics. In doing so I quickly go through the same photoshop rutine for each photo...click click, return, return, click,.. and so on.

The most irritating part of this is that photoshop asks me EVERY single time I close a picture if I want to save it. I've all ready ruined several photos by accidently clicking return 1 more time than I should of and then a pic is saved. I hate it when the stupid computer asks me if I want to save stuff.. "do you want to save this".. "do you want to save that.." NO!!!!! In fact I don't ever want to save it except when I go to file save! I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT ... I HATE IIITTT! PLEASE MAKE IT STOP SOMEBODY

And now I've had enough, does anyone know how to make my mac never ask if I want to save something agian or just photo shop or anything I can do to undo the saves it has done?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    If I were you, I'd duplicate the folder for the pictures (even though you've started) to make sure you don't ruin more pictures. That way, it's not as frustrating.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    This could probably be done by recording a action rutine in photoshop. With this you wouldn't have to click at all, just set up a batch job, record the right action and photoshop would do everything while you took a nap or went out to lunch. Adobe has a very good support section on it website, where you can learn everything about recording actions and batch jobs. This way you can custumize the save rutine any way you want.

If you really want to get serious you could combine photoshop with Applescript. Then you wouldn't have to open photoshop at all. This is ofcourse a bit harder to learn. But not at all impossible even if you have never scripted a line in all your life.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Yup, sounds like a job for Applescript to me. Especially if it is the same actions all the time. Very easy to do.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Sometimes graphics converter can get you out of situations like these. It can get you out of problems dealing with large batches and fairly simple photo editing. It depends on the level of simplicity you are seeking.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Thanks guys. I'll see if I can figure out how to record actions. I've been meaning to learn applescript too, just haven't needed it. But looks like this is the perfect time to learn it.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    If you ask me, PS actions are a bit simpler to learn, you'll probably be able to put something together in about fifthteen minutes. But then again AppleScript is more powerful.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by New:

<strong>If you ask me, PS actions are a bit simpler to learn, you'll probably be able to put something together in about fifthteen minutes. But then again AppleScript is more powerful.</strong><hr></blockquote>PS doesn't seem very scriptable to me...

Required Suite :

open :

Â*Â*open a list of alias

Â*Â*Â*Â*[manage to string/nomanage/unmanage] -- URL for server to manage file(s) against.

Photoshop Suite :

do script : Play the specified Action.

Â*Â*do script string -- Name of action or actual action to execute

Â*Â*Â*Â*[with a list of alias] -- List of files on which to run the action. If this parameter is not present, the script is run on the active document *for use only by droplets*

Â*Â*Â*Â*[override open boolean] -- Override open commands in the action *for use only by droplets*

Â*Â*Â*Â*[include subfolders boolean] -- Process subfolders of folders dropped on the droplet *for use only by droplets*

Â*Â*Â*Â*[override save boolean] -- Override save commands in the action *for use only by droplets*

Â*Â*Â*Â*[save and close boolean] -- Save processed files over originals *for use only by droplets*

Â*Â*Â*Â*[save to alias] -- Save processed files to this folder *for use only by droplets*

Â*Â*Â*Â*[log alias] -- Error log file *for use only by droplets*

In any case.. a batch script would look like this...

on open theFiles

Â*Â*tell application "Adobe&reg; Photoshop&reg; 6.0" to do script "action:path:goes:here" with theFiles

end open

I haven't really tried it but it should work if you save it as a droplet.

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: Synotic ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 12
    What do you meen "not scriptable?"

PS actions is a method of recording a series of actions in photoshop, and if you run a "batch job" (File:Automate:Batch...) you can have that action run on say a whole folder. You can also save a set of actions as a selfcontained droplet, OR you could combine your set of actions with AppleScript like you showed in your example. You really don't need to script anything if you don't want to (this was my point)...

But using AppleScript you have total control, and you could set up real automated processes to use over and over again. If you do the same type of work a lot that is.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by New:

<strong>What do you meen "not scriptable?"</strong><hr></blockquote>Well there is "open" and "do script" which is for their own action scripts. Two commands isn't very much. What about a Windows class? Print? etc..
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I don't use this myself but I did see a booth at MWSF last year for a company that sells scripting additions for PS.

OTOH if your actions are just resizing, changing bit depth, changing format and such then Graphic Converter is a great choice.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    [quote] OTOH if your actions are just resizing, changing bit depth, changing format and such then Graphic Converter is a great choice. <hr></blockquote>

But if he's doing all of the above... an Action Droplet is perfect for the job... Photoshop owns.

Mac Guru
  • Reply 12 of 12
    The only thing Photoshop is capable of scripting is an action.

I do the same thing you described at work, once a week. The action that I created resizes the pictures, then converts them to RGB and saves them in a preset folder in JPEG format at a specific compression setting. This is saved as a droplet on my desktop, so I just drag all the pics on top of the droplet and go have a smoke.

If you would like to give me the exact parameters of everything you need done to one photo, send the information to [email protected], and I will email you the action, and tell you how to make the droplet so you can get this done.