Apple fires iOS 6 Maps chief

Comments

• Reply 61 of 170
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    There are STILL fanbois who support Apple Maps? After endless user complaints, Tim Cook apologising for it, Forestall and now Williamson being fired and people still defend it? What would Apple have to do for some of you to criticize them? I think it is about time, now put Google Maps back on as (and Youtube) back on and get on with it.
  • Reply 62 of 170
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Yeah, in 3D mode, it looks that way, but in 2D mode, it looks fine.  The directions will still get you to the same place won't they?

• Reply 63 of 170

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

"Burn the mast, fire the cook, let no man leave alive..."

"Isn't it funny, a ship that sinks from the top."

Doesn't apply here, but still.

• Reply 64 of 170
    jragosta wrote: »
    Who?
    The most common response is that Apple Maps isn't perfect and has a number of mistakes (which Apple is apparently fixing).
    You seem to be confusing "it's not significantly worse than Google" (which is true from all the public comparisons which use data rather than anecdotes) with "deny there was ever a problem".

While I agree Google Maps was and is not perfect. I don't know how we can arrive at "it's not significantly worse than Google". What metrics should be applied? This is what I believe to be true:

- iOS Maps app looks better and renders faster (due to vectorization). Score one for Apple.
    - iOS Maps has flyover rather than streets view. While flyover is cool, streets view seems better for lost souls. But let's call it even.
    - Many more "mistakes" found on iOS Maps than on Google maps (e.g. actual locations, distorted images, poorly stitched images, etc.)
    - Transit data missing in iOS Maps.
    - No desktop version of Apple maps available.
    - Many more businesses and points of interest available on Google maps.
    - iOS Maps seems under-developed for many non-US regions of the world.

I am sure I have missed a few things. But even with all this and more in mind. it seems "significant" is a subjective assessment, subject to what your needs are.
  • Reply 65 of 170

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

There are STILL fanbois who support Apple Maps? After endless user complaints, Tim Cook apologising for it, Forestall and now Williamson being fired and people still defend it? What would Apple have to do for some of you to criticize them? I think it is about time, now put Google Maps back on as (and Youtube) back on and get on with it.

I don't have a problem getting directions to where I need to go.  Yeah, it's got problems, but I think its more with the 3D photos mostly from what I've seen.  I still like Apple's Maps vs Google.

I just like the directions better as it is easier to read, plus it automatically gives alternative routes if available.  In the areas for which i use Apple Maps, it does just fine.  It would be nice to have street view, but it's not a MUST HAVE.

I would rather Apple fix the problems as users report them and add street view when they have the photos ready.  But like any Map program, it takes time.  Both Google and Mapquest both sucked when they first came onto the scene.  For as little as I use a Mapping program, it's not a big deal.

Apple can't put Google Maps back on since they terminated their agreement, and Google can always submit their new version to the Apple App store when they want to.

• Reply 66 of 170
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I don't have a problem getting directions to where I need to go.  Yeah, it's got problems, but I think its more with the 3D photos mostly from what I've seen.  I still like Apple's Maps vs Google.

I just like the directions better as it is easier to read, plus it automatically gives alternative routes if available.  In the areas for which i use Apple Maps, it does just fine.  It would be nice to have street view, but it's not a MUST HAVE.

I would rather Apple fix the problems as users report them and add street view when they have the photos ready.  But like any Map program, it takes time.  Both Google and Mapquest both sucked when they first came onto the scene.  For as little as I use a Mapping program, it's not a big deal.

Apple can't put Google Maps back on since they terminated their agreement, and Google can always submit their new version to the Apple App store when they want to.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

It has certainly given me wrong directions, so I disagree.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 67 of 170
    Glad I had the foresight to save my SHSH blobs during the beta, because by the looks of it, neither my iPhone nor my iPad will see an upgrade any time soon. The jailbreak will keep them useful for a long time.

By the way, I'm quite impressed with Nokia's HERE Maps as far as data is concerned; it's surpassing Google Maps in both accuracy and information by a huge margin for me.
  • Reply 68 of 170

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't get it. What's the implication?

I believe the implication is that Tim will have to commit seppukku eventually.

• Reply 69 of 170

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickybill View Post

I have been using Maps since it was available.  I travel extensively for work and use it exclusively.  It has never failed to locate the facilities I'm visiting or made me late for an appointment.  I have no complaints.  I've used Siri to dictate addresses into the app and its worked great.  Even my hard to please boss was impressed.  As a result, he bought the 5.  Its always easy to find faults with something and it appears more people are interested in finding faults with AAPL.  The turn by turn has been fantastic.  I have never used the the 3D so can't speak to it's benefit.  If this is the worst thing that happens to all of us, that's not too bad.

You are lucky.

• Reply 70 of 170

Quote:

Originally Posted by **** Applebaum View Post

Then how do you account for the correct portrayal of the Golden Gate, Brooklyn and several other bridges in NYC?

Probably because those landmarks are more visited and they wanted to make sure no one complained.  Heck, I saw crappy version of the Statue of Liberty in other map programs. I mean, if the directions get someone there, that's the main purpose of maps, the photographs, 3D rendering, street views is more for playing around.  But for actually getting directions, Maps works fine for me.

• Reply 71 of 170

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Mac View Post

It is interesting to note that about 30 minutes after this article with that image of Hoover Dam was posted, Apple fixed the image in their database. That says something about the company.

The old image still shows on my iDevices... not fixed!

• Reply 72 of 170
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

Maps

What is wrong with this.  I loved driving down that bridge at a high rate of speed then back up it again.  As for the Dam itself.  We don't need that much water there anyway.

• Reply 73 of 170
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

What would steve do?  image

• Reply 74 of 170

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

I believe the implication is that Tim will have to commit seppukku eventually.

Have to. image

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I still don't understand...  The non-FlyOver 3D Imagery can detect the man-made Hoover dam (and the roadway on top of it) -- why cannot it detect the man-made bridge (and the roadway on top of it)?

No actual reply, just testing something… 

EDIT: Nope. Not Huddler. So why this?

• Reply 75 of 170
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

By the way, I'm quite impressed with Nokia's HERE Maps as far as data is concerned; it's surpassing Google Maps in both accuracy and information by a huge margin for me.

The very first search I did with Here Maps was way off the mark by a couple hundred meters.

The thing about using other maps such as Here or Google, if they develop an app or even the web version, is they are not integrated with the OS through MapKit API nor are they usable with Siri. As bad as Apple Maps may be, they will always be better than the rest because of the systemwide integration.

• Reply 76 of 170
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    While I agree Google Maps was and is not perfect. I don't know how we can arrive at "it's not significantly worse than Google". What metrics should be applied? This is what I believe to be true:
    - iOS Maps app looks better and renders faster (due to vectorization). Score one for Apple.
    - iOS Maps has flyover rather than streets view. While flyover is cool, streets view seems better for lost souls. But let's call it even.
    - Many more "mistakes" found on iOS Maps than on Google maps (e.g. actual locations, distorted images, poorly stitched images, etc.)
    - Transit data missing in iOS Maps.
    - No desktop version of Apple maps available.
    - Many more businesses and points of interest available on Google maps.
    - iOS Maps seems under-developed for many non-US regions of the world.
    I am sure I have missed a few things. But even with all this and more in mind. it seems "significant" is a subjective assessment, subject to what your needs are.

Yes, you've missed at least one major thing. Or, at least, you've repeated the same FUD that has been presented over and over.

The bolded statements are just wrong.
    1. Few people have actually done comparisons, but the ones who have have found few significant differences between Apple Maps and Google Maps. You're confusing a bunch of whining with evidence.

2. In some parts of the world, Apple Maps is demonstrably better - China, for example.

Some of your other complaints are nonsensical. No, there's no desktop version of Apple Maps, but there's no version of Google Maps that works on my microwave, either. Neither of those things was ever intended. When you're at your desktop, you have a wide range of choices for mapping solutions.

Transit data is intentionally being supplied by third parties. Just a difference in approach rather than a significant flaw.
  • Reply 77 of 170
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgajx View Post

I live in Edinburgh, Scotland and have to say that maps has got noticeably better lately.I used it on Saturday in Glasgow which had the flyover feature to get to the SECC and it was just stunning. Going back on the train watching the pin move over a satellite image was great fun.

However if I was reporting to the board I would have to say that the lack of public transport info is a big minus. Also the directions given I find puzzling at times. Is Apple not using TomTom for navigation.

I would use that enormous cash pile and buy up all the bus trackers, national rail enquiries software and integrate it into maps.

I think it has the potential to be a great app, it was just put out half baked just like SIRI (which doesn't understand my accent ) and FCPX

They are not using TomTom's routing as I understand it. 

• Reply 78 of 170
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Quote:

It is interesting to note that about 30 minutes after this article with that image of Hoover Dam was posted, Apple fixed the image in their database. That says something about the company.

Really? on my iOS 6 iPhone 4S the picture still looks the same as above - when in 3D mode - When not in 3D mode you can get an optical illusion that the span is arched upward - but when you switch to 3D and rotate the view is when you see it. And here I though the problem was the tag Hoover Dam on the Boulder Dam, or is it the Black Canyon Dam? Damn dam, which is it? 

• Reply 79 of 170
    I'm one of those who thinks the Apple maps problems have been largely overblown... 'Widely ridiculed'? On certain forums, maybe, but among my fellow iPhone users, things seem to work just fine... Frankly, I'm glad to finally have native turn-by-turn on my iPhone, which Google refused to provide... (Google's turn-by-turn is not perfect either, of course, but their bar is generally set lower)...

Having said that, I'm stunned that some of the most blatantly embarrassing 3D modeling artifacts (such as the Hoover Dam bridge pictured in this story) have not yet been corrected! I mean, it's been a couple months now! Apple should have an army of contractors tackling these... The fact that some of the most widely publicized artifacts remain is what surprises me... Does it affect anyone's use of the system? No, but it looks ridiculous and only sustains Apple's PR headache...

Apple need to start displaying some urgency here! Not just firing people, or 'asking for advice', but getting more data and 3D geometry into the app itself... If Hoover Dam (and others) still look like that at the end of the year, then Apple deserves all the bad PR they are getting...
  • Reply 80 of 170

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Quote:

Really? on my iOS 6 iPhone 4S the picture still looks the same as above - when in 3D mode - When not in 3D mode you can get an optical illusion that the span is arched upward - but when you switch to 3D and rotate the view is when you see it. And here I though the problem was the tag Hoover Dam on the Boulder Dam, or is it the Black Canyon Dam? Damn dam, which is it? 

Tinker's Dam?