Apple's redesigned iMacs will go on sale this Friday

Comments

• Reply 81 of 121

I hope they have display models on Friday; I really want to see the screen.  The shop near me sometimes doesn't get a display model for weeks.  Not sure if that is Apple or the shop(s parent company.  (they can be a bit funny at times.)

This time it's a major design change so I think (hope) they will get one sooner rather than later...

• Reply 82 of 121
    [/QUOTE]
    I don't ever remember a time when there was nothing to sell after a new product was announced.
    Don't worry your problem is well known, it's called amnesia.
  • Reply 83 of 121
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

If an item is refreshed in 6 months, Apple gets slammed for instantly making the previous generation "obsolete."

If an item is refreshed every year, Apple gets slammed for making the iSheep waste money by updating. Or, they get slammed because it's too long between updates.

If an item is updated in 19 months, Apple gets slammed for taking too long between refreshes.

I'm sure that if they provided free updates every 6 months on their products that people would still find something to gripe about. No matter what they do, someone will find cause to complain.

This comes up frequently, and yet it's  nonsense. Things you read on here are anecdotal. They aren't randomized samples, and shouldn't be taken as valid data. The concerns over updates that are too frequent are largely from people who feel they must own the latest thing, which is a dumb mentality. What they need is a machine that performs the required tasks. Those may evolve over time, but sometimes there's too much emphasis on things like geekbench scores. That isn't accomplishing work. It's simply drag racing cache loads. Anyway the only time I really suggest people hold is on the cusp of a new hardware generation. Ivy Bridge brought usb3 and the graphics options represented a solid step up from the prior generation. If someone can make use of that, it's worth waiting. If they're checking facebook and email, it's likely that they don't need a new machine.

• Reply 84 of 121
    Great By the way complainers Apple showed details on it late October said it comes November and yet it comes November It's only been a month not that big a deal, they might have lost 20% of holiday sales, yet gained 10%. And they have problems maybe you should build a computer from scratch, finish it in less than a month.
  • Reply 85 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by haar View Post

AWESOME... but where are the other verses?... LOL

You'll have to wait for the CD.

Available soon on Spinning Beachball Label.

• Reply 86 of 121

For the first time, the 27-inch iMac is an attractive option to me.  I would get one with the Fusion Drive.  But I'm more inclined to get a Mac mini and display so I don't have to throw away a perfectly working screen in order to improve my computational power.  I wonder how long it will take for Apple to apply this same overall design to its Thunderbolt display?

• Reply 87 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Seriously, people?  What are we, toddlers?  My 5 year old has more patience than this.

You nailed it.  Most of the fanbois on this website are whiny little spoiled toddlers.  I can't figure out why they are so excited about a crippled iMac 21.5" with non-upgradable memory and a slow laptop drive.  The article misleads the reader to believe the hybrid drive is standard.  It is not.

• Reply 88 of 121

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

...crippled…

Humor.

The article misleads the reader to believe the hybrid drive is standard.

And you're misleading people that Fusion Drive is a hybrid drive.

• Reply 89 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Obviously not, none of us here have any idea WHY this happened... something obviously fell through the cracks... a vendor deal or whatever. We will probably never know. I'm sure apple had a good reason, but whatever the reason was, in the short term it's costing them money. Coupled with the fact that I've never seen apple do this in over 4 years of watching product launches (apple has ALWAYS had enough product to hold them over, at least to within a month or so of the new product), does not make for a good sign.

You are so full of crap.  But you admitted your ignorance because you have only been watching Apple products for four years.  It is not costing them any money because MacBooks and iOS devices drive their profit far more than an iMac.  I like how no one has any proof that iMacs have been out of stock for months.  B and H Photo had the 2011 27" model on clearance just a few weeks ago, and Apple has them available as a refurb, discounted.  Most of the time, product stock would be diminished to nothing before a release.  That was how it always was with Apple.  You rarely saw anything on clearance.  Ever since the economy crashed in 2008, consumers are not so eager to be spending money.  So over the past 4 years, you have seen left over stock when a new model is released.  That was unheard of for Apple in the past.  I just bought a late 2011 MacBook Pro 15" that was still in stock on clearance at B and H.  So even after the June 2012 models arrived, you can still find left over stock of late 2011 MacBook Pros.

This is not a big deal for Apple because the majority of consumers don't read tech sites and have no idea new models were announced or delayed.  They don't care.  Only the little fanbois are getting bent out of shape.  My local Apple Store is filled with 2011 iMacs on display.  None of the shoppers there know that they will be slowly replaced at the end of the week.

• Reply 90 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Humor.

And you're misleading people that Fusion Drive is a hybrid drive.

Copied straight from the article, "The all-in-one iMac desktops also sport Apple's new hybrid Fusion Drive, which gives customers the performance of flash with the capacity of a hard drive."

Your own writers call it a hybrid drive.  You don't bother to read the articles, do you?  Read the definition of hybrid.  The fusion drive may act differently than a traditional hybrid hard drive, but it still consists of two different elements; therefore, it is a hybrid.  

Please explain why you think the new iMac 21.5 is not crippled?  Non-upgradable memory and a slow laptop drive in the stock configuration is crippled for a desktop computer, that cost the same as the previous model that offered upgradable memory and a much faster drive.

• Reply 91 of 121
    Um, source??? A link to the press release would be nice.
  • Reply 92 of 121

Quote:

You are so full of crap.  But you admitted your ignorance 

Only the little fanbois are 

Quote:

Hey moderator and troll, why don't you read the article before you make yourself sound like a douche?  Oh, too late.  

Your own writers call it a hybrid drive.  You don't bother to read the articles, do you?  Read the definition of hybrid.  

Please explain why you think the new iMac 21.5 is not crippled?  Non-upgradable memory and a slow laptop drive in the stock configuration is crippled for a desktop computer, that cost the same as the previous model that offered upgradable memory and a much faster drive.

Having a bad day?  

• Reply 93 of 121
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    hillstones wrote: »
    Hey moderator and troll, why don't you read the article before you make yourself sound like a douche?  Oh, too late.  Copied straight from the article, "<span style="font-family:'HelveticaNeue-Light', 'Helvetica Neue Light', 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Sans Serif';font-size:15px;line-height:23px;">The all-in-one iMac desktops also sport Apple's new hybrid Fusion Drive, which gives customers the performance of flash with the capacity of a hard drive."</span>

Your own writers call it a hybrid drive.  You don't bother to read the articles, do you?  Read the definition of hybrid.  The fusion drive may act differently than a traditional hybrid hard drive, but it still consists of two different elements; therefore, it is a hybrid.  

Technically, it would depend on whether the SSD component is on the drive itself or on the motherboard. If it's on the drive itself, then it would technically be a hybrid drive. If it's on the motherboard, it's not.

That is, however, not really the point. The point he was making is that it's not really in the same category as conventional hybrid drives and its performance is potentially much better. Until we have independent testing, no one will really know for sure.
    hillstones wrote: »

Let's see:
    - faster processors
    - faster graphics
    - Thunderbolt
    - Thinner, lighter
    - Better display, less glare
    - Option for much more economical high performance drive

Does it have everything that every geek on the planet might desire? Nope. That doesn't make it crippled. If you need a computer with upgradeable memory, feel free to buy something else. Or simply plan ahead and buy the iMac with 16 GB of RAM and save yourself the trouble of upgrading.
  • Reply 94 of 121
    Or do the cheapest thing there is; get Mac Pro. Really? Yes, really. Get a bare stock one and Kingston/SSD-it yourself. It'll last longer than your iMac can keep up with software updates. Why? Because you can upgrade the hardware yourself. Even the processors, if need be.
  • Reply 95 of 121
    habihabi Posts: 317member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Don't see any cock up there.

Some folks are so quick to criticize these days.

Anyway I think Tim Cook has more than proven, that he is doing a great job.

So you think its ok not to sell machines for almost a quarter of a year??? This is the reason many corporate customers dont want to buy apple computers. Do you think they can wait for machines for new employers for 3 months? Keep dreaming.

• Reply 96 of 121

Ah, the circle of life continues.

People who need/want a new iMac:  Apple took too long getting the new iMac to the market

People who don't need/want a new iMac:  Everyone who doesn't love Apple with all their hearts is a traitor.

It never stops, does it?

• Reply 97 of 121
    Making it thinner is great, but is it still a massive disassembly job to change the hard drive? My 27" had to go in for the 1TB recall program and I would have been way happier if I Could have just popped the case myself and put in the replacement drive rather than have the service people insist on sending it in.
  • Reply 98 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I can't wait for the new 27" to be released.......so I can pick up the previous version for a good price.

If you can find one. I bought my 27" from a dealer just after a speed bump and it was a great deal.

• Reply 99 of 121
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    cityguide wrote: »

It was said one reason Apple pulled out of MacWorld Expo was the expectation of a new product or major upgrade to accompany every keynote. The anticipation was nice for the rest of us, but it had to be hell for Apple.

I upgrade my Macs (Pro, iMac, Mini, Air, MacBook) about every five years on a rotating basis. I start with the most powerful example I can afford, and Apple's design and engineering carries it the rest of the way. Seldom does software or an accessory appear in the marketplace that one of them cannot handle. They get a ridiculous amount of work in my shop. I see nothing sloppy about taking 19 months to re-design an entire new chassis, re-tool an assembly line, implement new testing, procedures and training, work through the start-up punchlist and begin production of the precision instruments we are using.

On an ending note, in Apple's long history they haven't "wound down" many products. Radical refreshes and abrupt dismissals, yes.

Wow, what happened? Someone with an understanding of how manufacturing works has commented!
  • Reply 100 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

And they have problems maybe you should build a computer from scratch, finish it in less than a month.

I kinda doubt the design team knocked out the prototype the night before the keynote, and then started figuring out how to build this thing the next day.