Apple fires iOS 6 Maps chief

Comments

• Reply 141 of 170

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yes, I agree. I was hoping it would happen quick, but I am not surprised it is taking time. I just hope Apple is really serious about maps. It is a key feature for me.

How about Facetime, heh?

Currently, sounds cuts off on Snow Leopard's Facetime after 5 minutes and you need to reboot the Mac to get it back. Key feature, according to the Apple Website.

“And we’re going to take it all the way. We’re going to the standards bodies, starting tomorrow, and we’re going to make FaceTime an open industry standard.”

Steve Jobs

• Reply 142 of 170
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    Compared to Nokia's recent effort on a maps app, the Apple maps is ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. Nokia's app is an absolute embarrassment, and yet no one really cares. Perhaps people are just used to Microsoft and Co. producing shoddy crap, whereas Apple has always set the bar extremely high.
  • Reply 143 of 170
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    leighr wrote: »
    Compared to Nokia's recent effort on a maps app, the Apple maps is ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. Nokia's app is an absolute embarrassment, and yet no one really cares. Perhaps people are just used to Microsoft and Co. producing shoddy crap, whereas Apple has always set the bar extremely high.

That's the thing. iOS 5 Maps had a "high bar", so even worse for Apple when they don't meet their ~own previous~ map standards. If the iPhone launched with this then there would be chuckles and jeers but Steve woud fix it in time. This is going backwards.

Again, I don't think an "apology letter" was needed, and certainly Scott Forstall needn't have been bullied on this (assuming said story is true).
  • Reply 144 of 170

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Lets not fire everyone.

The AppStore app is exellent on iPad 3.

No lag, no stutter.

J.

It just works...

• Reply 145 of 170

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Lets not fire everyone.

The AppStore app is exellent on iPad 3.

No lag, no stutter.

J.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

No it's not. I have an iPad 3.

It is pure crap. the old one was much better.

Except when it doesn't. Apparently.

• Reply 146 of 170
    I dropped into an official Apple Store today. This time last year I couldn't get my hands off everything there. Now...

iPod touch ... a bit of a funny shape
    iPod nano ... a bit off
    iPod shuffle ... OK
    iPad 4 ... nice but still a bit heavy
    iPad 2 ... why are they still selling this?
    iPad mini ... screen is blurry and colours not great
    MBP Retina 13" ... some lag with App Store
    MBP Retina 15" ... nice but hmm...
    iMac 21" ... MIA
    iMac 27" ... MIA
    Mac Pro ... MIA
    iPhone 5 ... OK
  • Reply 147 of 170
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    palex19 wrote: »
    No, the China version of Apple Maps, when the user is located in China is worth than the google version for many reason like the poor search results, slower speed and weird design. 

Funny how the Google shills come out of the woodwork and post the same message multiple times - but never have any facts to back it up.

It has been widely reported that Apple Maps is better in China than Google Maps. Even people who consistently attack Apple's Maps program admit that it performs better in China:

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/apple-maps-better-google-china-120020900.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/27/apple_maps_works_in_china/

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/47692/apple-maps-is-better-than-google-maps

http://www.macworld.com/article/2013571/google-maps-usage-in-china-plummets-with-apple-ios-upgrade.html

So where is the evidence to back your claim?
  • Reply 148 of 170
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    sr2012 wrote: »
    Holy s**t I just only found out through this article that Scott Forstall left. I knew something felt funny at (or it was just me) Apple this past November.

Forstall doesn't leave until next year but I agree something doesn't feel right.
  • Reply 149 of 170
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    nelsonx wrote: »
    Oh, like missing every single street in Cayman Islands for example? You do know that a MAP app should be global right? Not just around your house! The people of Cayman Islands had a perfectly good map WITH STREETS, and then suddenly NO MORE STREETS for them! Do you think that could be a problem?

Funny how so many people seem to confuse "imperfect" with "worthless".

No one ever said that Apple Maps was perfect. Google Maps isn't perfect, either. Neither is Nokia Maps or Tom Tom or any other mapping system.

If you live in the Cayman Island (or travel there), this is obviously a problem. But, overall, most comparisons say that Apple's Maps is not the disaster that people like you accuse if of being. It's interesting how thousands of people who probably can't even find Cayman Islands on a map manage to find out that Maps doesn't work there and start screaming shrilly about it.
  • Reply 150 of 170
    slurpy wrote: »
    How does it make sense to fire someone who's had a hand in development of maps since the beginning- wouldnt this person be in the best position to have insight into what improvements to make, etc, instead of going out and looking for something new?

Fully agree! I have seen this 'behavior' in many companies, and it always had negative results. To me, everyone will be better served if the person or department responsible will take a different approach and also make use of Lessons Learned, and the experience gained in the process.

@sr2012

1. Cut. It. Out. Please.
    2. Use the multi quote button please; it benefits others greatly.
  • Reply 151 of 170
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

It is beautiful. However the horizontal scrolling of app icons within a vertical scrolling is a bit non-useability-friendly.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

I have an iPad 3, and the icons are gray for several minutes. Pretty cheesy.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 152 of 170

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

How about Facetime, heh?

Currently, sounds cuts off on Snow Leopard's Facetime after 5 minutes and you need to reboot the Mac to get it back. Key feature, according to the Apple Website.

“And we’re going to take it all the way. We’re going to the standards bodies, starting tomorrow, and we’re going to make FaceTime an open industry standard.”

Steve Jobs

What you describe is part of the standard -- you don't want those teenage girls yapping for more than five minutes at a time, do you?

• Reply 153 of 170

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Consider the only general public release is 6.01 since the initial Maps.app release I'd expect you wouldn't get bug fixes yet. Especially when Apple is focused on making a large Maps.framework available for 3rd party devs to leverage and extend its functionality.

Since the bad directions/images are in the (cloud) database, it is not clear why new OS releases on the devices have anything to do with anything.

• Reply 154 of 170
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 433member
    Maps ridiculed???
    On the contrary. According to DED, tallest, solli ed all, this is the absolutely best mapping software available!
  • Reply 155 of 170
    philboogie wrote: »
    @sr2012
    1. Cut. It. Out. Please.
    2. Use the multi quote button please; it benefits others greatly.

Fineeee. I aim to please.
    igriv wrote: »
    I have an iPad 3, and the icons are gray for several minutes. Pretty cheesy.

That only started happening recently where they were gray for very long. I noticed that only a few weeks ago.
  • Reply 156 of 170

But wait, I thought the popular consensus on this site was that there is nothing wrong with Apple Maps and that is has revolutionized the industry?

Why would they fire him them if that is true...  Oh wait.  I forgot I was on the delusional-insider website.  

• Reply 157 of 170
    @zippy2shoes
    that's not it - at all. But you knew that already
  • Reply 158 of 170

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why is Teckstud still posting?

Who do you believe he is? I'll axe the psychopath again.

Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

You do know that a MAP app should be global right? Not just around your house!

Sounds like you don't, though. You only seem concerned with one part of the world, quite probably just around your house.

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

According to DED, tallest, solli ed all, this is the absolutely best mapping software available!

At no point have I said that. Please remove me from your list of insanity. Note that I refer to the list as being the thing that is insane, not its contents.

• Reply 159 of 170
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Consider the only general public release is 6.01 since the initial Maps.app release I'd expect you wouldn't get bug fixes yet. Especially when Apple is focused on making a large Maps.framework available for 3rd party devs to leverage and extend its functionality.

The maps are server based. Fixes doesn't need a new release, and I've seen lots of fixes around here where I'm located.

• Reply 160 of 170
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I'm sure some people on here will still deny that there was ever a problem with iOS 6 Maps.

A number probably inversely proportional to those who claim there have never been any problems with the alternatives at all, ever.