Apple wins ban on Samsung Galaxy devices in Netherlands

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sales of some of Samsung's Galaxy-branded products have been banned by a court in the Netherlands for infringing on patents owned by Apple.

The ban applies to Galaxy products running Android 2.2.1 or later without Samsung's proprietary photo gallery software. The ruling from the Court of The Hague was handed down on Wednesday, and was detailed by Computerworld.

"Apple patented a way to scroll past the edge of a zoomed-in photo and see a glimpse of the next in a series of images, after which the initial photo bounces back onto the screen, a technique that Samsung has used in its Galaxy products," author Loek Essers explained. "Samsung's proprietary photo gallery software replaces that bounce-back feature with a 'blue flash' that illuminates the edge of the image."

It's unknown exactly how many infringing products Samsung has available on the market in the Netherlands. If Samsung doesn't comply, it will be forced to pay a penalty of 100,000 euros, or $129,000 U.S., every day to Apple.

Samsung

Apple's win comes just a month after it failed to convince a Dutch court that Samsung's products infringe on a separate patent related to multi-touch gestures. The court found that Samsung did not infringe on Apple's pinch-to-zoom patent.

Apple has settled its patent litigation with other companies such as HTC and Nokia, and even its patent battle with Google-owned Motorola may be resolved through arbitration. But there has been no indication that a settlement is near between Samsung and Apple, two bitter rivals that compete in a range of markets including smartphones, computers and tablets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    Finally 'a country' coming to their senses, contrary to their previous ruling. Now, onto the rubber band.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

I wonder how the UK press will treat this decision?

Maybe Samsung should be forced to publish a notice on their EU websites and in the press.

• Reply 3 of 61

I think all of this legal wrangling is hurting the stock. Apple needs some real closure on this for the stock to rally. Unfortunately, Samsung continues to rip off feature-after-feature with each new release.

• Reply 4 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I think all of this legal wrangling is hurting the stock. Apple needs some real closure on this for the stock to rally. Unfortunately, Samsung continues to rip off feature-after-feature with each new release.

What do you (or Apple) care about the stock?

Apple cares about making the best products and earn as much money as possible, **** the stock.

• Reply 5 of 61
    No matter what Samsung wind up paying Apple, it's still a win for Samsung. It's a small price to pay for the marketshare that they've gained by copying Apple and building iClones. They are now a juggernaut in mobile phones and they have Apple to thank for it.
  • Reply 6 of 61

Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

No matter what Samsung wind up paying Apple, it's still a win for Samsung.

Forever slandered in the public eye, all manufacturing contracts broken, zero profit on devices…

Yeah, that's a "win".

• Reply 7 of 61

Quote:

No matter what Samsung wind up paying Apple, it's still a win for Samsung. It's a small price to pay for the marketshare that they've gained by copying Apple and building iClones. They are now a juggernaut in mobile phones and they have Apple to thank for it.

Exactly... And I prefer it like that. As long as the iPhone business is healthy, i wouldn't mind watching Apple's handset market share at 1%, so eventually they were under pressure. That way we would have even better devices.

• Reply 8 of 61
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Exactly... And I prefer it like that. As long as the iPhone business is healthy, i wouldn't mind watching Apple's handset market share at 1%, so eventually they were under pressure. That way we would have even better devices.

If Apple is driven out of the smartphone market because took their IP and made cheap copies without having to spend a red cent on R&D then how would that keep the iPhone business healthy?

• Reply 9 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Apple cares about making the best products and earn as much money as possible, **** the stock.

Apple is a business. The board of directors and executives of the company have a fiduciary obligation to profit their investors. Without investors Apple wouldn't exist.

• Reply 10 of 61

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Without investors Apple wouldn't exist.

Well, that's not entirely true.

• Reply 11 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Forever slandered in the public eye, all manufacturing contracts broken, zero profit on devices…

Yeah, that's a "win".

Where are you getting zero profits on devices from? Keep in mind that Samsung is now doing extremely well in the mobile phone space, their market share is far more than it was before. So, yeah that's a win for them and it'll be worth every penny that they are required to pay Apple in court. I don't like the company. I will not buy a Samsung device or TV. I will be glad when Apple severs all ties with them.

As far as a business strategy goes, it worked out for them. Roll the dice, copy Apple and hope for the best. What happened to the rest of the handset makers? It's nearly all iPhones from Apple and iClones from Samsung.

• Reply 12 of 61
    The stock isn't being hurt by legal victories. The stock is being positioned in anticipation of the Apple HDTV and it's $100 Billion revenue potential.
  • Reply 13 of 61

Yeah, that's a "win".

The public really doesn't care, losing the manufacturing contracts will most definitely hurt, and I doubt they're making zero profit on devices. Honestly I'm surprised at how well the Note ll is selling.
  • Reply 14 of 61

Quote:

Where are you getting zero profits on devices from? Keep in mind that Samsung is now doing extremely well in the mobile phone space, their market share is far more than it was before. So, yeah that's a win for them and it'll be worth every penny that they are required to pay Apple in court. I don't like the company. I will not buy a Samsung device or TV. I will be glad when Apple severs all ties with them.

As far as a business strategy goes, it worked out for them. Roll the dice, copy Apple and hope for the best. What happened to the rest of the handset makers? It's nearly all iPhones from Apple and iClones from Samsung.

no. pretty much the same. show evidence or go home.

• Reply 15 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The public really doesn't care, losing the manufacturing contracts will most definitely hurt, and I doubt they're making zero profit on devices. Honestly I'm surprised at how well the Note ll is selling.

How are you surprised?

The note 2 loses on every single test against the iPhone (speed, graphics, screen quality, ecosystem, build quality, camera, etc.) but since it is "extravagant" it has the hype factor the iphone 1 had. Those that bought the iphone because of hype are now buying the note2. so what?

• Reply 16 of 61

Where are you getting zero profits on devices from? 

That is an exaggeration, I suppose; I apologize for that.

Keep in mind that Samsung is now doing extremely well in the mobile phone space, their market share is far more than it was before.

Who gives a frick? They're not making money on it and developers don't want to build for their platform. Marketshare is meaningless if it nets you nothing. And who says they even have the marketshare? They've been caught lying about "sold" numbers before, and now their "shipments" are even in question.

…it'll be worth every penny that they are required to pay Apple in court.

How? Why? What? How does this logically follow given the context?

As far as a business strategy goes, it worked out for them. Roll the dice, copy Apple and hope for the best.

Yeah, stealing from the people who actually do the work generally does work as a strategy in this industry. Thanks, Microsoft, for setting that standard.

I wonder how they're all feeling with Steve Jobs dead. It was his companies that always got the copying, you know. Where do you think Dreamworks got their start? Pixar.

• Reply 17 of 61
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    ifij775 wrote: »

Apple executives may care about the stock, since much of their compensation is based on stock.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    Apple is making those margins because they are both the manufacturer and retailer. They make less profit when Target or other third party retailers sell their product.
    Many companies including Coke, 3M, Milwaukee tools, Master lock and every manufacturer would make a HUGE profit if they opened their own stores.
    As an American, I am very proud of our ability to create such great products which are used around the world - they are also copied by companies as a cheap alternative. As for Samsung, every time someone purchases a smartphone - they have paid a crook for a stolen device and it makes no sense to me.
    Thank you to all the people from around the world who have helped engineer some of the greatest products the world has every seen from American Companies. There is so much talent out and it is because of Apple. talented people now have the chance for their products to be seen. Before the apple App store - talented and creative people from around the world never had a chance to sell software - there was smartphones before apple and not one good app existed.
    I could expand on my thoughts about Apple's contributions, but I would rather read what others are saying from this point forward.
  • Reply 19 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That is an exaggeration, I suppose; I apologize for that.

Who gives a frick? They're not making money on it and developers don't want to build for their platform. Marketshare is meaningless if it nets you nothing. And who says they even have the marketshare? They've been caught lying about "sold" numbers before, and now their "shipments" are even in question.

How? Why? What? How does this logically follow given the context?

Yeah, stealing from the people who actually do the work generally does work as a strategy in this industry. Thanks, Microsoft, for setting that standard.

I wonder how they're all feeling with Steve Jobs dead. It was his companies that always got the copying, you know. Where do you think Dreamworks got their start? Pixar.

I'm not saying that respect their strategy or even like their strategy, but based on the reports that I'm reading these days, there are only two mobile handset companies dominating right now and that's Apple and Samsung. The original and the imitator. It certainly appears as though it's working for them, even if it winds up costing them in court. The rest of the handset makers that did not go the route of copying Apple as closely as possible are generally no longer major players.

As far as how honest Samsung is regarding "true" sales or true profits go, I'll go out on a limb and say probably not too honest. Are Samsung not making money on their phones? If so, that's news to me and seems contrary to reports. 

• Reply 20 of 61

I'm not saying that respect their strategy or even like their strategy, but based on the reports that I'm reading these days, there are only two mobile handset companies dominating right now and that's Apple and Samsung. The original and the imitator. It certainly appears as though it's working for them, even if it winds up costing them in court. The rest of the handset makers that did not go the route of copying Apple as closely as possible are generally no longer major players.

You're sure right about that.