Apple exec Eddy Cue 'racing' to improve iOS Maps

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new report sheds more light on the behind-the-scenes personnel shakeup at Apple in the wake of criticism over the new Maps application that debuted in iOS 6.

Since taking over iOS Maps, Apple's Eddy Cue has been "racing to turn around the troubled service," according to a a report published by Bloomberg on Wednesday. It also restated that Richard Williamson, who previously oversaw Maps in iOS 6, was fired by Cue, who has put new leadership in charge in an effort to rapidly improve the software.

Cue reportedly pushed out Williamson quickly after he took on an expanded role that has put him in charge of iOS Maps.

Williamson was a key player in the development of the original iPhone. He worked at Apple for more than 10 years, and previously worked at NeXT computer with Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.

Cue also has a history with Jobs, and Wednesday's report referred to him as a "close confidant" of the late CEO. For years he has overseen Apple's iTunes and iCloud services, but his role expanded last month as part of an executive shakeup at the company.

Cue

Cue took over iOS Maps, as well as the voice-driven Siri personal assistant software, after the former head of iOS software, Scott Forstall, was ousted from the company. Forstall reportedly refused to sign a public apology for deficiencies in the iOS Maps application ? a decision that allegedly contributed to his firing.

Bloomberg was first to report on Tuesday that Williamson was fired, and that Cue has been seeking advice from mapping technology experts outside of Apple. He has also reportedly encouraged partner TomTom to fix issues with landmarks and navigation data.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 140

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Forstall reportedly refused to sign a public apology for deficiencies in the iOS Maps application ? a decision that allegedly contributed to his firing.

I've been meaning to say something about this. Does it make more sense that he would have said "No, I'm not signing that crap! It's not true!" and that going over poorly or "No, I'm not signing that crap; we'll just fix what's wrong!" and that going over poorly?

• Reply 2 of 140

You got to do what you got to do in these types of management changes. I'm sure Jobs would have cleaned house too.

• Reply 3 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I've been meaning to say something about this. Does it make more sense that he would have said "No, I'm not signing that crap! It's not true!" and that going over poorly or "No, I'm not signing that crap; we'll just fix what's wrong!" and that going over poorly?

I have my doubts about the latter.

Having said that, I think his refusal to sign the letter (for either reason) was just the final straw.  When you have people like Mansfield and Ive, who are the real lifeblood of Apple (especially since Jobs is gone) then you do what you have to do to keep them around.  If Forstall couldn't work well with the other VPs, he had to go.
  • Reply 4 of 140
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Every Apple executive that gets profiled these days is said to have been a close confidant of Steve's. Seems like just boilerplate filler for these articles. I'm just waiting for the next story about how Ive is racing to remove skeuomrphism from iOS. :lol:
  • Reply 5 of 140
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Forstall reportedly refused to sign a public apology for deficiencies in the iOS Maps application ? a decision that allegedly contributed to his firing.

I think he just said "No, I'm not signing that crap!"
  • Reply 6 of 140
    I think Apple's biggest mistake was not developing Siri and iOS Map as search engines. I've said it before, it is more than larger, corrected data sets, but to interpret user's intent and finding the best match.
  • Reply 7 of 140
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    allenbf wrote: »
    I have my doubts about the latter.

Having said that, I think his refusal to sign the letter (for either reason) was just the final straw.  When you have people like Mansfield and Ive, who are the real lifeblood of Apple (especially since Jobs is gone) then you do what you have to do to keep them around.  If Forstall couldn't work well with the other VPs, he had to go.
    And according to John Gruber Forstall and Phil Schiller didn't get along either. Apparently Forstall always waited until the last minute to provide Schiller's team any information on iOS changes. If someone has a fraught relationship with that many executives it's probably not healthy to keep them around. Steve might have been able to manage it as everyone else deferred to him.
  • Reply 8 of 140
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwilly View Post

You got to do what you got to do in these types of management changes. I'm sure Jobs would have cleaned house too.

Clearly, he's cleared house anytime there's one of these blow ups. Papermaster. Mobile me guy, etc. If you lead teams at Apple and you feck-up, you get the boot.

• Reply 9 of 140

Right on, Ed, if you have talent, this is your show time!

• Reply 10 of 140
    It used to be that Apple would move those on the way out into any one of several phony r&d projects. Soon thereafter it would be announced that so and so is leaving the company.

As much as Maps is not a phony r&d project I can't help but think that iOS Maps could become a career wrecker at Apple since Cook will never put the blame at his own door.

There's a lot riding on this move Eddy... get your ducks in a row.
  • Reply 11 of 140
    Ten years at Apple and no second chance? They could have just taken him off the project and assigned him somewhere else. So either they wanted to make a statement or there might be more to it.
  • Reply 12 of 140
    I think Apple's biggest mistake was not developing Siri and iOS Map as search engines. I've said it before, it is more than larger, corrected data sets, but to interpret user's intent and finding the best match.

What the heck are you smoking! cuz I wnat some if it warps you mind like that
  • Reply 13 of 140

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

…iOS Maps could become a career wrecker at Apple since Cook will never put the blame at his own door.

Guy signed a (unnecessary) public apology.

"…will never put the blame at his own door."

Uh. Huh. ????

• Reply 14 of 140
    Guy signed a (unnecessary) public apology.
    "…will never put the blame at his own door."
    Uh. Huh. <span style="font-family:'Apple Color Emoji';font-size:28px;line-height:normal;">????</span>

That apology was paper thin... it wasn't his ass that was seen going out the door.

Soon enough, soon enough.
  • Reply 15 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

Ten years at Apple and no second chance? They could have just taken him off the project and assigned him somewhere else. So either they wanted to make a statement or there might be more to it.

I was thinking the same thing.  Williamson came from NeXT so he obviously has extensive knowledge of OSX.  They could have put him charge of the OSX team.  The last thing you want is letting go of all these ex-NeXT guys.  They are smart dudes.

• Reply 16 of 140
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Yes, Apple is WORKING HARD TO IMPROVE MAPS. THE SKY IS BLUE. Why the **** do we need a new story everyday pretty much rehashing the same points, each time with a different adjective in the headline to make it more dramatic? Yes, we get it. It's been going on since iOS6 has been released and will keep happening for the forseeable future.  

• Reply 17 of 140
    I'm just a little concerned that some of these guys are spreading themselves a little too thin. iTunes, iCloud, Siri & Maps? That's a lot of responsibility. All I have to say is he better have a LOT of people who are on top of their game every day or else something else may get missed or dropped.
  • Reply 18 of 140

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

That apology was paper thin...

And there goes your entire argument.

You want Cook fired? You're the only person.

• Reply 19 of 140
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    iOS Maps: not good for your career map if you're not careful.
  • Reply 20 of 140

I mentioned this after Steve passed away. The power struggle is about to begin.

... and it aint over. I'm betting on Cook one of these days in the not too distant future.

Ive seemed to get along fine with Steve, I wonder how well he really gets along with Tim. That will be the deciding factor.

As Steve went in the 80s so could anyone go today.

It's a game of Survivor. Those leaving may not be leaving because others don't get along with them; it could be that they were too powerful and could have been a potential threat in the future.

More to come at 6...